Wolves vs Liverpool FC - FA Cup - Jan 7 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Dec 17, 2018.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

19:45 Mon 7th January 2019

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves had too many good chances at Molineux a couple weeks ago. Two sublime goals, one by Salah and one by VVD, sealed top of table for Christmas.

Have to play better, I think.

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Depends how seriously they are going to take it- they may play their reserves too?

4. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If we were facing opposition from one of the lower divisions decisions would be so much easier for Klopp right now . Simply throw in a mix of back ups and youth and odds are we see them off and move on . But we have prem league opposition to play and that's following on the heels of our first league loss this season . I'm sure Klopp doesn't want to make that two losses in a matter of days which would no doubt create loads of Lfc are choking articles in the British media.Despite the FA cup being a lower priority given the loss to City I think it's important for the team to return to it's winning ways again immediately .
    Wolves are a good side and have proven themselves very capable of getting a result against the top sides in the league . It'll be interesting to see how strong Klopp goes for this one .

dcc134 repped this.
  5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lineup is going to be decent I think

Sturridge Origi Shaq
    Keita Fab Lallana
    Moreno? ? Camacho

Do we have any choice but to go VVD and Lovren?

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #6 Suss, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Last season there was a game where Wijnaldum and Emre Can played as part of a back 3 because we had injuries at the back. Could Klopp do something similar here?

Allison
    Hoever VVD Milner
    Camacho Fabinho Keita Moreno
    Shaqiri Sturridge Lallana
    That’s 8 changes to the team that played City. We could start Mingolet, but if we are going to start a dodgy defense Allison could be our best chance to make it through. We don’t have any backup CB options, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Virgil goes again. Does he really need a rest? Football is so easy for him. Hoever can play both right back and centerback, so the right side of a back 3 is the perfect blend of those positions, and there are rumors he will be involved. I have no doubt Milner can do that job as well. Camacho and Moreno as wingbacks make sense, and I would like to see what it looks like when Keita and Fabinho play alongside each other.

I left out Origi, but wouldn’t be surprised if he starts.

7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I think those two have to start , dcc.

8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Play a strong side which will allow the fringe players to take part later on the competition should we progress.

Wolves is almost safe in the Premier League and will therefore have a go at this one. We, on the other hand, can't afford a second loss as these things (losses) have a strange habit of replicating themselves. At any rate, there are 5 days until the next Premier League match.

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp just confirmed that Mingolet will start.

10. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If I had to guess I'd say Klopp will go 4231 and use two holders given our weakened back five . I picked Gini tho could be Hendo . There's been some rumours re Camacho moving to Sporting that has me wondering if Klopp really doesn't want to lose the kid who played very well in pre season . Makes me wonder if Clyne has been loaned out to open a spot for Camacho to come in as cover at rb ?

Migs
    Camacho Lovren VVD Moreno
    Fabinho Gini
    Shaq Lallana Keita
    Sturridge​

SamScouse repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #11 SamScouse, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    for the love of god, PLEASE rest Virgil. it's not so much tiredness as risk of injury I care about.

play Camacho and Lovren at CB.

put Hoever in at RB.

Millie and Hendo and Lallana in mf.

Studge and Origi up front.

as far as the psychology is concerned .... as speke says they gave us a real test in the last game, and on another day could gave tied with us or beaten us. if we play a full-strength team snd they DID win, we would have every reason to start feeling nervous.

I usually enjoy the FC games but this time I really don't give a crap if we win or lose. just don't draw, we don't need a replay. this season only 1 thing matters to me. the Prem.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    apparently Hoever is being looked at as being ready to step up, and he may get the RB spot on Monday.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    unlikely I'd think. Wolves are a good team and probably think they have a good chance of doing very well in the Cup. their fans would be livid if they don't go for it imo.

14. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He's very highly regarded ,Sam but is still 16 yrs old. I think he could get a place on the bench and perhaps some minutes late if the game goes well but it may be too soon for a start . Camacho played rb in preseason and did well . I think big Virg may have to wait until Joe gets back .

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns 17 next week.

Remember that Woodburn played at 16, TAA at 16/17, Gomez was starting for Charlton at 17, Dele Alli for Tottenham at 18....I think he would be fine for this.

16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Maybe , I still prefer to see young kids dipping their toes in coming off the bench rather than being tossed in the deep end especially v prem league opposition . Camacho is older ,more experienced and has already started for the first eleven , that would make me go with him but I'd not be adverse to Hoever getting a debut at some stage in the match .

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welp, we need to do two things on Monday: win and rest a few guys. VvD is probably telling Klopp he needs no rest and I believe him but (like Sam said), he can't get hurt. There's gotta be someone who can step in next to Lovren. Give Migs a run out. Front 3 needs to sit and let Sturridge, Shaq & Origi have a run out. Fab, Gini/Hendo and Keita in the midfield. Robo needs a rest too.

This is definitely priority #3 of 3 on our current competitions list but if this club isn't going for silverware, then WTF are we even doing?

18. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VvD needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap for this one. Given that Gomez and Matip are still a few weeks out, this match seems like a time to test emergency options.

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Klopp has confirmed Moreno is playing - and as noted above Mignolet is too

I would imagine the rest of the players and those first off the bench - Sturridge, Keita, Origi, Lallana etc

Big question is central defenders. VVD needs a break but no replacements available

20. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Javier Mascherano when you need him?

So...how about Milner?????????

jeffcoop repped this.
  21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I almost suggested Milner [emoji23]

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Patrick Mahomes???

kopiteinkc repped this.
  23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Divided house here - my wife is from Indianapolis [emoji23]

24. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    y
    Not exactly known for his defense.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  25. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't penter back the only outfield position Milner hasn't played? Maybe it's time to rectify that.