WNY vs Boston 8/3

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by ForeverLOST108, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a radio feed for tonights game?

2. SoccerDad00

SoccerDad00 New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah no problem. Thanks for this for the future though!

4. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I have been looking for the box score to check last night's attendance--which was REALLY good considering it was a weeknight, the weather was menacing (and menaced during halftime) and there was no one named Abby on either bench. Using my powers of estimation I am going to say 4800.

Two things I noticed after seeing what people were wearing: 1) Western New Yorkers are not swayed by fashion and 2) Based on the designer t-shirts, jackets and sweats there were a much larger number of people from 2 to 3 hours away--and lots of Canadians (the forehead maple leaf tats and seeing who was bristling at the "Oh Canada" rendition before kick off were dead giveaways). I think the singer got about 84 percent of the notes right in the song.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not at least since Bass Pro Shop opened in Auburn.

6. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wouldn't it be great to see a Project Runway challenge using only materials from a Bass Pro Shop? They could also set up a runway spanning one of the large fish tanks for the fashion show. Work it!

BTW, I was 400 over. Last night's attendance was 4,400.

7. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Your estimation powers aren't too shabby, officially it was 4483. The weather wasn't too bad, although it did rain lightly a couple of times during the game. I did notice a few facebook comments from folks who mentioned driving to the game from outside the area. Good to see. As for the girl singing the anthems; definitely talented, but she appeared to be nervous and REALLY needs some voice coaching. She tried to hit an octave near the end of the American anthem that had my ears bleeding!

P.S. Count me in the "not swayed by fashion" category. I dress for comfort, not looks.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking for a radio feed, too. I guess I should have looked harder. I take it that this local station won't be airing away games. And since last night was WNY last (non-televised) home game, we won't get another chance to tune in to their stream.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Must be from Bergen, or thereabout.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i thought this was a wny vs boston game.

what am i missing?

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how it was decided to sing Oh Canada at the WNY games. A few possible influences are: For us, Canada is right down the road, and for Buffalo it's right across a bridge. We had 3 Canadian NT players and now 2. There are a few groups of Canada supporters regularly in attendance, and lot's of folks just like the song.

12. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    If you didn't hear, you didn't miss much. BA-DA-BUM!

Oh Canada is performed at all the Amerks and Rhinos games, too. Keep in mind that Rochester is only about 30 miles from Canada by water and 80 miles over land. Plus we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE us some Christine Sinclair and Candace Chapman.

My theory is that Oh Canada is performed since it is more melodious and musically superior (IMHO) than the Star Bangled Banner.