WNY in the News

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by kool-aide, Dec 1, 2010.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This interview of Sinclair w/ Ali Riley is hysterical.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb9jRNbVyLI]Riley & Sinc[/ame]

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a shameless plug for Flash Through The WPS.

Christine Sinclair and Lauren Cheney are scheduled to appear on tomorrow's show.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. That link should come with a sunglasses needed to protect your retinas warning.

/blind typing...

But yes, the content looks great and I'll be having a listen. Appreciate the link. Thank you.

6. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't pick the color scheme....

Also, we had Abby Wambach from Germany at the top of Kick This! last week.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm listening to the July 16 SoccerSam broadcast now. Will check out the new link later.

Thanks.

And I was joking about the color scheme :)

8. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com...7/City-may-fund-Sahlen-s-Stadium-locker-rooms

9. WookieMonster

WookieMonster New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
  10. bdaly

bdaly Member

Apr 28, 2011
    A neat story. Sahlen has certainly been a class owner that played a key role in saving the league. Frankly, he dove in -- likely knowing he was going to lose a lot of money because he didn't have time to market the team -- and basically helped save the league. (From a business perspective, waiting a year would have made more sense, but he probably knew it was now or never from a league perspective. They've admitted they didn't have time to properly get the word out.) And, luckily, it has turned out well off the field too. Between the Wambach effect and increased post World Cup interest, the team finished first in the league in attendance (narrowly), and now has a core fan base (yes, outside of Wambach) to really make things work come next season.

Often in pro sports, if you don't have that marketing effort and buzz before game one, it's just not going to happen. Thankfully, it worked out differently here, and it probably couldn't have happened to someone more deserving when you look at what he invested (in the team and with the league sponsorship) to help the league kick off this season. Even the Sahlen's league sponsorship probably was more a labor of love -- it's mainly a regional brand. (Although I did notice players promoted a Sahlen's store in Atlanta, so perhaps it's helping.)