WNT v Trinidad & Tobago (OQ Semifinal), Feb. 19, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full speed ahead.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wonder if there will be any changes to the standard starting line up?

3. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Watched a little of TnT last night and Canada's bench was easily beating them. This should be an easy win and a trip to the Olympics coming after a jog about. I also think Canada should be no problem if Ellis sends the right people out. I would seriously back off Ellis if she ever acted like a coach and made adjustments based on play rather than her spreadsheet.

Who is the hottest scorer right now? She should start in the position she plays best

4. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Do you mean you watched Canada v Guatemala (last night's game) or the earlier Canada v T&T match? T&T had a great match against Guyana. Glad to see them have the experience of a dominating performance. Some nice goals in that one.

5. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I see her going back to Press at right midfielder. Seems like Dunn got blamed for the poor showing against Mexico. I don't think it makes the team better though. Usual line up with Press in for Dunn.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I could see that happening if the team had scored a bunch of goals in the second half which didnt happen. I think the biggest threat to Dunn starting is putting Pugh on the left and moving Heath back to the right.

7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I've been thinking about the U.S. lineup. Many fans (and Jill Ellis) are reticent to break up the rock solid World Cup defense, but Johnston's distribution from the back has not been impressing me. She almost seems to do worse when given time on the ball, better when under a bit of pressure. In addition, Krieger doesn't add much to the offense from right back but she is a level head in the center and passes well. I would start O'Hara, shift Krieger in, and start JJ as a holding midfielder with Brian. Combination of power and finesse. She's a better ball winner than either Horan (whose performances are uneven) or Mewis.

Solo
    O'Hara Krieger Sauerbrunn Klingenberg
    Johnston Brian
    Pugh Lloyd Heath
    Morgan

Subs situational but in general: Press for Lloyd, Dunn for Morgan/Heath, Horan for Brian/JJ.

I don't see it happening but I think JJ's skill set could be used in midfield.

Mazza24 repped this.
  8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That would be an interesting line up against a team with a strong midfield. I wouldnt use it against T&T though as most of their attack comes from speed on the flank. Id expect to see Dunn on the flank for her defending in the semi.

9. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I messed up. I watched both games last night but not for long. Came away unimpressed with TnT and Canada's bench looked slow to me. Since we won't see the bench, I quickly left after Canada started scoring. Nothing to be learned by watching that

10. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeaaaaaaaaaah, I agree where you are coming from, two small touches laterally then a Route 1 - 40 yard pass. Nothing wrong with a stop, pivot, reverse it to Becky.

If distribution is the problem - - is the Mid the best place?

11. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we lose this match..... Jill Ellis fired right?

12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2/19/2016 7:30 Central, BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, Texas At kick - Low 70's, Humidity 70% winds about 10 mph, no precip.
    TV - NBCSN. NBC Universo.

Time to head south on I-45 and make a statement.

[​IMG]
    Bunker Buster

[​IMG]
    Bunker Buster​

[​IMG]
    Bunker Buster
    [​IMG]
    Bunker Buster​

[​IMG]
    Bunker Obliterator​

34 Hours 21 minutes.
    2016 WILL BE GLORIOUS.
    I Believe.

mamalia repped this.
  13. EbaJones

EbaJones Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Club:
    FFC Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised we didn't see JJ moved to the middle to "try out" before. Kriegs can move inside and I agree on Mewis and Horan........ also Hinkle should stay on the bench.

14. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You almost sound like you want the former to happen so the latter can happen...

15. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they perform the type of bunker busting/obliterating they performed on Monday night, rather than the type they performed on Saturday, because the latter type, well...

[​IMG]

16. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Well PR and Mexico are miles apart......so there is that.

17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd . . . a Bunker obliterator? She's played some of her worst soccer so far in this tournament, & she has been historically not only ineffective against the bunker, but completely counter-productive. Morgan isn't that much better... personally, I would hold both out until Canada, that's the game those two could really shine in.

& Lloyd & Morgan didn't impress against either. A bunker is a bunker, & some players just don't do well against them, regardless of the quality of players holding down the fort.

Tried & true method vs bunkers? Speed on the flanks and players who are patient on the ball who don't feel like that have to burst up field as quickly as possible.

| | | | Pugh | Press | Dunn | | | |
    | | | | | | | | Brian | | | | | | | | | |
    | | | | | Horan | | | Mewis | | | | |
    Kling | | | | | | | | | | | | | O'Hara
    | | | | | Broon | | | JJ | | | | | | | |
    | | | | | | | | Solo | | | | | | | | | | |

CoachJon repped this.
  18. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmmm Geezzzzzzzz where have I heard that before. Wait. No. Dang it....its right on the tip of my tongue.

good points about speed and counters.

19. Michael Gibson

Dec 23, 2014
    The problem with Lloyd...is that she has scored 24 goals in international matches in 2015-2016.

20. wf1g

wf1g Member

Oct 15, 2014
    on Tour
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Hey gang...
    I'm here in deepest darkest €urope without any coverage so when I get back from this little Portuguese bar down the hill I hope to see a few streams listed either here or the game day thread if there is one.

Does that sound too bolshy/bossy?

21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I come to Big Soccer when I want something more than a 140 character response that really isn't a response at all. Ignoring that sarcasm doesn't work on the internet, this particular bit doesn't work because we've actually heard it many times, from many different people, from many different points in Lloyds career. Be more specific, and I can address it.

I'd also like to say that when you respond to others opinions like this it will do one of two things... 1) encourage people to ignore you because you're not actually responding & engaging in the conversation & 2) discourage people from responding to you in the future because you might quote them out & mock them like you tried to do here.

No doubt, Carli Lloyd is a goal scoring machine... & there's nobody else on this team I want taking PK's (she is something like 10 for 10 this year?)

World player of the year award or not, it is my firm belief that every player, heck every human being, has strengths & weaknesses. Somethings they are good at, some things they are not. Historically speaking, Carli Lloyd is not very good against organized, packed defenses... regardless of the quality of opponents in those defenses.

There's only one reason to believe that tonight might somehow different: the importance of the game. Big games, the games that really matter, Lloyd finds a way to get $h!# done. I'm kind of expecting that tonight. Poor game, but she finds a way to get it done... probably gets the winner.

22. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is it! GAMEDAY in Houston! Winner goes to Rio

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you don't count the miss and rebound goal against Mexico.

24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do those count as missed? What's more, does the goalkeeper get credited for a PK save even if she gives up the rebound?

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's definitely a missed PK and Santiago gets credit for a save.

skybolt and babranski repped this.