WNT v S. Africa, July 9, 2016 pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jackdoggy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South African with the lilac colored hair needs to be in the NWSL

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    McSkillz repped this.
  3. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Ok, U.S. Soccer. Hope has her milestone. Can we base goalkeeper caps on the merits now?

lil_one and RUfan repped this.
  4. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ladies didn't have the same intensity level as they did versus Japan. I guess they were playing to not get injured before the Olympics.

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing to not get injured, expect the next game before the Olympics to be a low intensity as well.

6. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of the underwhelming 0-0 draw with South Korea at the end of the World Cup send-off series last year. Not encouraging, but not necessarily a condemning omen of our fate in the major tournament.

For their part, South Africa's #52 world ranking is not definitely commensurate with their performance in this game. The U.S. may have underestimated them.

exref repped this.
  7. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got home from the game and although any win is nice I expected them to win 5-0. Nice pass and shot on the only goal but too many bad passes despite dominating the game.

exref repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

One would think there was merit in 100 shutouts...

Anybody else have them?

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #84 MRAD12, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Just got home from Chicago's downtown lakefront. What a great day today in Chicago. The weather was perfect.
    I went to see the USWNT vs. South Africa then went a few blocks north to see Billy Idol at Taste of Chicago and both events did not disappoint.

I tell you what, no matter what you hear about Chicago, it is still one of the most beautiful cities in America, especially the downtown area.

First the game.
    The Red Stars had a tent outside of Soldier Field. I even saw Red Stars owner, Arnim Whisler outside passing out flyers and talking to fans about the Red Stars. Whatever you guys feel about the Red Stars or Chicago or even Chicago and NWSL, I hope you realize the dedication Arnim and his family have given to the women's game over the past 8 years.

A good crowd inside Soldier Field. About 20,000.

My thoughts about the game. I read above them some of you feel the US didn't give it it's all and they were holding back, etc, etc. NO THEY WEREN'T!. The US was playing as hard as they always play. Don't forget many of these players are playing for a spot on the Olympic team. The point is, in my opinion, South Africa was good, compared to the other third world countries the US plays. The South Africans also gave the US different looks then they normally see against teams like this. The South Africans had skill, speed, and pretty good passing from what I saw. Also their defense bended but did not break, aside from the lone goal. They played their hearts out and didn't play scared of the US. Their only problem was finishing. When the South Africans were heading toward goal, I was yelling for them to get in the box, but the would stop and try to make a pass which would get intercepted by US defense. I was actually hoping South Africa would score. I don't give a crap about Hope Solo's clean sheet record. Many of those "clean sheets" were against subpar teams anyway.

It seemed to me the South African team had a blast out there. They stayed on the field as long as possible and even made a round around the field thanking all the fans, and Chicago fans gave them appreciation back by giving them standing ovation as they went bye. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last from South Africa's women's football Team.

It seemed the whole South African team took pictures with Hope Solo after the game. One of the staff members from South Africa was so thrilled to see Hope she just kept hugging her from what I could see.

It was a good game, on a great day in a beautiful city among two teams that showed immense respect for each other and the game, and the fans seemed to soak it all up.

As for the US, Pugh seems to get annoyed when she doesn't get the ball like she wants it. Horan has incredible touch on the ball, Krieger is slowing down, Carli Lloyd still makes silly fouls, Klingenberg runs funny, Dunn is flawless, Johnston gets happy feet, Press and Morgan just don't seem to fit together, O'Hara always looks busy...

And, oh yeah,... Becky Sauerbrunn is the best defender that has ever played on the USWNT and I have seen them all over the years and that includes Overbeck and Fawcett.

One more thing. The Billy Idol concert at Taste of Chicago. He may be much older now, but he still sounds like Billy Idol. He sang all his old tunes with the same energy he did back in the eighties, White Wedding, Eyes without a face, Rebel yell, etc. and the crowd on a beautiful Chicago afternoon loved it!

Just my opinions and thoughts.

exref, Namdynamo and cpthomas repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    If Pinoe is on the roster, will she start? (I can't imagine putting someone on an 18 player roster that can't go 90. It would be Hodgson-esque).

If Pinoe does start, does she go into her WC spot on the left?

A part of the thing is that Kling makes everyone better. (not that Pinoe or Pugh need any help).

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    She is amazing.

12. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Africa played well; they certainly deserve this result.
    USWNT always take time to get warmed up in tournaments.
    They play better as the tournament wears on, whereas other teams begin to wear down. :thumbsup:

13. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, according to Fox prematch show, Jill has the Olympic roster in her head and will tell the players today who makes the cut. Sooooo... my question is, when will she announce it to the rest of us?

14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? our great head coach underestimate an opponent? Impossible

Our whole attack is basically based on being better athletes and accidental offense. If you can dominate possession and throw the ball in front of the net enough times, you are bound to get something out of it. This is not the result of brilliant tactics or great team buildup with killer passes. It's accidental offense. Against the top teams, it is not enough and Ellis has done little to move past this.

I have never liked Ellis. Have always felt she is totally overrated and the the team wins in spite of her, not because of her. I think she got a lucky break in the WC when the situation forced her to change what she was doing and failing at, prior to the forced change. The end result? She gets credit for changes she never would have made if not forced to. I wonder what would have happened if she was allowed to continue what she was doing. Fast forward - I see nothing lately to make me change my mind about her as the coach or the team level of play as the # 1 ranked team. It will be interesting to see what she does with the roster too. She has two problems. Lloyd and Rapino. Neither in top shape but still favorites of Ellis. Will she sit Pugh for Rapino and somehow force Lloyd onto the field or will she not call in one or both? Lloyd showed little last night and Rapino cannot be in game shape. Plus, Pugh is now #1 in that position. Rapino may be done as a starter. It will be interesting. Lets hope Ellis learns from Klinsmann's mistakes and doesnt bring damaged goods to the show only to not be able to use them. The bench is very short and everybody HAS to be able to play 90

If we manage to win the Olympics Ellis will get all the credit again even though you could sit a crash dummy on the bench with a "Head Coach" ID hanging around it's neck and get the same result.

MRAD12 repped this.
  15. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going back and watching the 1st half, which I missed yesterday.
    Oh man, Press has to absolutely bury that chance.

16. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, it's not a stereotype of the commentators. I've heard many African men's team coaches talk about their confederations' traits of being athletic and physical - they pride themselves on that style of play.

17. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. That pitch was slowing down the ball's velocity.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't know how it could have had? The grass was pretty short. In fact shorter then if they would have played at Toyota Park.

I just think and from what I saw it was just bad passes. In fact the US had many.

I remember one time Horan tried to make a pass to Pugh and totally misread where Pugh was going. they both had a quick exchange with one another, Pugh pointed to one spot on the field and Horan quickly pointed to another.

I've played this game all my life and when the pitch slows down or speeds up the ball, you adjust. Period.
    No Excuses!

19. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 Bleed Blue, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    True and the players are mostly all pros, so they are used to playing differences on different pitches every week. However, I do wonder what the pitch, which they practiced on all week, leading up to the match, look liked.

20. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Tobin on the right, Pugh on the left, Press on the bench, Mew2 is better than Long. USA not looking good when LLoyd goes missing. France gold medal favorites.

21. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Here's every match the USA has played against top teams (top IMO, YMMV) since the beginning of 2015.
    Jun 5 2016 USA 2 Japan 0
    Jun 2 2016 USA 3 Japan 3
    Mar 9 2016 USA 2 Germany 1
    Mar 6 2016 USA 1 France 0
    Mar 3 2016 USA 1 England 0
    Feb 21 2016 USA 2 Canada 0
    Oct 25 2015 USA 3 Brazil 1
    Oct 21 2015 USA 1 Brazil 1
    Jul 5 2015 USA 5 Japan 2
    Jun 30 2015 USA 2 Germany 0
    Jun 12 2015 USA 0 Sweden 0
    Jun 8 2015 USA 3 Australia 1
    Mar 11 2015 USA 2 France 0
    Mar 4 2015 USA 2 Norway 1
    Feb 13 2015 USA 1 England 0
    Feb 8 2015 USA 0 France 2

Overall record: 12W-3D-1L
    Goals: 30 for, 12 against

Reality would seem to disagree with you.

22. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should never let reality get in the way of a good argument.

23. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Wow Christen played so bad :eek:

Fanaddict repped this.
  24. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good teams find a way to win, even when they're not playing their best.
    Isn't that what the USWNT seems to do consistently?
    I don't know why all the gripe? Gotta appreciate what we have.
    What most countries wouldn't give to have our B and C team players.

25. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I tuned in for a few minutes and did not hear their names and so I figured they were not playing. And, it showed. Without them the USA had much trouble moving from defensive control of the ball to mounting an attack through midfield.