WNT v Mexico (OQ), Feb. 13, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Feb 10, 2016.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    She did this against T&T and the Irish but had trouble against China and Mexico

2. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although, I would love to see John Herdman's head explode at that outcome. I like many of the Canadian national team players, so I'm rooting for them to qualify for the Olympics.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not convinced Mexico beats CR. If Mexico comes out and plays Costa Rica may run rings around them.

8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  4. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not terribly sure where you have ever seen Horan be a play-maker... I thought perhaps she could be one too (better than a deep 6 distributor, at least)... but she had some moments in the second half that has me thinking otherwise. She had several opportunities to make incisive passes from 20-30 yards out and failed miserably on all but one, of which she decided to shoot and struck the post. I would have passed in that instance despite the TV commentator going on about how she made the right call to shoot.

Horan is a forward & needs to be in the box on the receiving in of passes for a team that likes to build methodically and have numbers in & around the box for the final push in the final third. There is nothing at all about her or about how the USWNT plays that makes me think she is supposed to be on this team.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    8MiLLeNiuM and ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MRAD12 repped this.
  7. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    I don't really like a lot of the new Canadian players, something about them just makes it hard to cheer for them now.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes. They traded away one of the most fan favorite players in Fire history for allocation money, whatever that is.
    I was at Toyota Park this morning chosing my Red Stars season ticket seat when the news broke out among fans that were there.

10. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    oh, i'd disagree with that. she's done well so far, especially considering the circumstances. Mind you, remember when Carli was in the midfield and connecting every 1 out of 5 balls?

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is a good player. He played at Notre Dame, grew up in Chicago as a Fire fan and was brought up in Fire youth programs. He wanted to be a role model for Chicago kids.

I know this is for another thread, but here is his emotional letter to Chicago fans today:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...-chicago-fire-supporters-after-trade-montreal

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not sure Lloyd as a deep lying play making is the model Horan hopes to emulate.

13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate canada more than mexico, I know mexico is supposedly our rival, but I think that's more on the men's side than the women's side. Canada is annoyingly arrogant including their coach. I really think after today, Mexico deserves to be in the Olympics.

AlexJ17 repped this.
  14. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #164 RockyTopFan, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    But Canada has given us Rachel McAdams, William Shatner, Kiefer Sutherland, Rachel McAdams, Alan Thicke, Barney Stinson:D, Rachel McAdams, Drake, Nelly Furtado, Leslie Nielsen, and Rachel McAdams just to name a few of their peeps.

Edit: I forgot to include Cobie Smulders.:confused:

15. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Canadian government did have the decency to apologize for Bryan Adams on several occasions.

16. Mazza24

Mazza24 Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Club:
    Wellington Phoenix
    First half is up on youtube. I don't think its up on NBC yet for replay.

lil_one and 8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  17. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot the biggest name of them all - Justin Bieber. FWIW, I never listen to him.
    I didn't know about William Shatner, though.

18. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mazza24 just posted the first half above.

19. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as painful as it was to watch the USWNT find 1,000 ways to NOT score a goal for most of the match...

I spent several hundred dollars and traveled over 1,300 miles to attend this match [with a friend from high school who lives in Dallas], and I don't consider my money or time wasted. Mexico has definitely improved from the team we steamrolled over in 2013. That being said, we definitely have some issues to sort out.

CoachJon and BlueCrimson repped this.
  20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I attended their game in May in California against Mexico and agreed, it doesn't matter the situation sometimes it's the fan experience and the first accounts, and the camaraderie with others watching the match. You realize how many people appreciate the USWNT. I had a blast in May and I'll never forget my times at the Phoenix Stadium in Arizona with the USWNT.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure the yellow card to Heath was for dissent. Some may have missed it, but the AR makes the foul call (You can see her flag up signalling for the foul in the corner of the screen.) Right before the camera cuts away, you then see Heath walking over and confronting the AR about the call. Referees may give a little more leeway on arguing with them directly before issuing the YC for dissent, but you go face-off with the AR and its an easy caution.

Mazza24 and Gilmoy repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd half up on Youtube:

Mazza24 and 8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yeah, I kinda miss the old Canadian players
    kayliin.jpg

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed watching this game live, so just finished watching the game on Youtube.

I'm not as worried as most here. The US didn't look great, but I wouldn't say they looked terrible either. They created some chances in spurts and had some luck (and the post) go against them. The US had the majority of possession, and the game could have had 3 or 4 goals easy. A lot of credit goes to Mexico as well. They looked better than they have in the last few years and played some excellent defense albeit in a 5-4-1 bunker.

On the pk, can I just say how terribly Markgraf tried to explain away that handling call? Former players turned commentators are some of the worst at trying to explain referee decisions, imo. I'm okay with the handling call. I could see it not being given, but at the international level, an arm in an unnatural position (away from the body) when she had time to move the arm into the body is usually handling. Plus, while it looked like she's moving the arm behind her to avoid hitting the ball, that also happens to put the ball into a more advantageous position for her (away from the opponent and the goal where she can turn and clear), and at the international level, if the handling ends up putting the ball in a more advantageous position for the player, you have to wonder if it wasn't deliberate. So yeah, I'm okay with the call although I wouldn't say the referee was that great throughout the game...a few missed foul calls and a few called the opposite direction of what was expected.

The US generally did not show enough patience, as many have said. They also didn't do nearly as good of a job at pressing as they did in the Costa Rica game. The pressing and the general energy picked up around the 60' mark, imo, perhaps partly because of Press being on the field. The movement off the ball also improved around that point, which was an element that was severely lacking in the first half, especially in the midfield.

Lloyd--She would get the lowest marks from me, despite scoring the goal. Just poor touches throughout the game. I don't think its the sign of her slowing down overall, but just her inconsistency, which we've seen in the past.
    Horan--ugh. In the first half, I could see what she was trying to do and was impressed with her vision, but she wasn't executing. At other moments in the first and second half, it seems like she just hasn't adjusted to the international level's speed of play; she does fine under pressure but often would play balls without enough pace.
    Brian--thought she generally played well. She was connecting at times where Horan was not.
    JJ--Needs a tutorial from Sauerbrunn on when to play short and when to go long. Especially early in the game, she needs to show patience.
    Kling--had to go up against Ocampo who really had a wonderful game and just outmatched her. Kling actually looked better once she switched to the other side.
    Krieger--I liked the width she was offering at the beginning of the game. But then that stopped and she started cutting in a lot. Actually it felt like we lost a lot of width in the attack in the 2nd half, and some players would start making the same runs. We just weren't reading each other, which made the overall play very disjointed.
    Pugh--the switch to the 3 back with Pugh coming on for Krieger seemed odd in that we could have just pushed up Kling. Why take out Krieger? Or instead sub out Kling and bring on Pugh (or another attacker...I would have rather seen O'Hara personally.)
    Morgan--didn't see a lot of the ball in the first part of the game, but she also didn't do much with it when she had it. She was one of the only attackers in the first half though who was making many runs off the ball.
    Press--I attribute a lot of the uptick in energy in the 2nd half to Press who was making a lot of good runs. However, some of her touches were off, too. Bad touches must have been contagious out there.

It wasn't a great game from the US, but also not the worst. If you're going to have an off game, this wasn't a bad time to have one. And a result is a result; we still booked a spot in the semifinal.

Namdynamo, Mazza24 and sitruc repped this.
  25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From being seated on the first row of the closest corner of the field when that happened, I can definitely confirm this. I couldn't make out what Tobin was saying but it was probably something along the lines of "Are you freaking kidding me? That wasn't a foul and you know it!" That may have rubbed the ref the wrong way, since I don't recall the yellow card appearing until after that. If the yellow was for the "foul" itself it's even more ludicrous.

Now disclaimer: I may be biased. This is, after all, the the top of my personal "Don't mess with _____." list:

1) Tobin
    2) Texas

I can't blame Tobin in the slightest for confronting the ref. Regardless of how high her's kick was, there should never be a foul where there is no contact, and watching it live and several times in the replay I still see ZERO contact on the play. Whether the Mexican player fell from acting or awe/frustration/hurt feelings I don't know. Issuing the card was adding insult to injury, and deep down I really wanted to jump onto the field and slap that ref. [Un]Fortunately not audible on the video is me blurting out "I'M BLIND; I'M DEAF; I WANT TO BE A REF!" shortly thereafter, which I'm surprised no one else resorted to, since the call was clearly extremely unpopular with the crowd. I was tempted to use the "I'M BLIND; I'M DEAF; I'M A CONCACAF REF! variant I heard from one Outlaw at the game against Brazil back in October.

jackdoggy repped this.