WNT v Mexico (OQ), Feb. 13, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On to the next.

Hope it's a good match. I'm traveling 1300 miles just to attend it.

...okay, mostly to attend it.

mamalia repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 jackdoggy, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    3:00 Central, Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas. At kick - Low 60's, winds about 10 mph, no precip.
    NO Live T.V. Replay Sat night NBCSN at 8:30 Central. Streaming live on NBC Sports Live Extra.........

http://www.nbcsports.com/live-extra/2016-02-13

One down, four to go.
    Bigger story......Match on the field -or- Semb17 in attendance....Coin flip.
    I'm buying pre-game margaritas - Blue Goose Cantina.

3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USWNT is always the biggest story. If my presence at a game was to ever outshine their performance in it I would seriously question reality. The players are the artists; I am merely a patron of the art.

4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy you are coming to town......Have Fun.

5. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

I'm curious to see how much Ellis changes up the starting XI from Wednesday's game, if at all.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if there were too many changes. I think Ellis might make those changes for the Puerto Rico game.

7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She should rest one or two of last starters... In the running positions maybe. She will have them leg dead by the time we face Canada if she doesnt. Maybe Press or Horan for Morgan. Somebody for Dunn. Rest Lloyd

BTW - Im still not convinced on her but we'll see how she manages this

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I agree with BlueCrimson ... plays her starters here then rests the people she wants to rest for PR

jackdoggy repped this.
  9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the smart thing to do, and I imagine it will be what we see.

Still bothers me that the US needs to do it. We have skilled depth at every position capable of beating Mexico, PR, even Canada. I don't like the idea that we have "starters" who play every game... it should be about who matches up best against the opponent.

Personally, against Mexico, I'd like to see speed on the flanks, not wingers who are going to cut in all the time. The Mexican fullbacks like to join the rush, so that is where the space will be . . . why neutralize it by cutting inside into the depth of the Mexico defense?

So . . . a 433 with speedsters on the wings . . . Pugh & McCaffrey perhaps (HAO would be nice), Press central... rest Morgan, or maybe bring her in at '60. I'm predicting Lloyd will have a bad game (she will make me eat crow for this, of course)... I'd prefer a ball handler who won't rush out of the space at the #10 vs Mexico, so Heath or Horan. Horan & Brian a nice combo behind the 10, but I think Mewis & Brian would be better vs Mexico . . . your not likely to catch them with those long directs that Horan excels at... definitely need more incisive passing . . . and Mewis & Brian far better at it than Horan. Center backs don't matter too much here... but you probably want two of your better defensive full backs... that'd be O'Hara & Krieger if she's healthy.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heading into this game, the US has gone 1,321 straight minutes in major tournament qualification without conceding a goal and have outscored their opposition 69-0 in that span.

11. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who has been running the most in the last game? Probably need to rest those people, the bench warmers are as good as the "starters".

12. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only wish those numbers were against at least some quality opponents. With the exception of Canada, no team can really hang with the USWNT.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  14. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect for Mexico to bunker in on the defensive side, so that they can keep the score down and remain ahead of Coasta Rica on goal differential.

kernel_thai repped this.
  15. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 8MiLLeNiuM, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Costa Rica is up 8-0 on Puerto Rico with 3 minutes to go and they're doing it with their best player - Shirley Cruz - on the bench to start the match.

exref repped this.
  16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need to see the normal starting XI against PR. Let the game changers start.

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow I just turned on the other game and Costa Ricae scored like 9 goals against Puero Rico

18. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Mexico will rest some of their starters if the game vs the US gets out of hand early on.

19. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica wins 9-0 vs Puerto Rico with 2 players scoring hat tricks.

20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if Mexico wants the game to "get out of hand" though. Aren't they concerned about goal differential?

21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, super lame this nbcextra stream doesn't have a "pre-show". I mean it's an internet stream guys, you are more than allowed to show the players training

22. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if they have a choice in the matter. If they get down by 3 goals, goal differential won't matter.

23. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a short tournament like this, goal differential is important. Costa Rica is +1 on Mexico now. We must beat Mexico today; then, we can play anyone we want v. Puerto Rico because goal differential will not matter.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Well that was a bad call against Heath.

Semblance17 and exref repped this.
  25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    02' 0-0 All USA pressure and frenetic possession. Mexico starts 5 defenders (5-3-2?).

Correct! Standings so far:
    3+6 (+6-0) Mexico
    3+5 (+5-0) USA
    3+4 (+9-5) Costa Rica
    0-15 (+0-15) Puerto Rico

Ergo, if Mexico ever trails USA by 3+, then they also drop to 3+3 or worse in the table, and Costa Rica floats to 2nd on GD. Then Costa Rica can bunker and counter in the decisive 3rd match vs. Mexico. Still, as GD did matter already, you could say more precisely: GD won't matter any more ;)

8MiLLeNiuM and sitruc repped this.