WNT v Japan, June 2, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, May 31, 2016.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Cat desperately tries to insert herself into the broadcast again. Once again, it didn't work.

Semblance17, lil_one and Gamecock14 repped this.
  2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why is Jill Ellis saying that and then putting Press out wide?

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's attendance: 18,572, a sellout.

blissett repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Mewis for Heath

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That foul count looks so odd (4 against US--13 against Japan, so far). I'd usually guess that its the opposite in a US-Japan game.

blissett repped this.
  6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wish Mia Hamm and Michele Akers would be commentators or studio analysts. They are a lot better than the people ESPN and Fox put out.

At least Foudy has worked hard the last 2 years and has become much better.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Adventures in goalkeeping!

3-2

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't recall the last time I saw Hamm doing tv work. Akers came out of nowhere last Summer. She blocked me on twitter when she was doing her attention seeking.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    US defense split and it's 3-3. Japan gets a shortie in stoppage.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnston got caught in no-man's land on that one...completely flat-footed.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    US nearly split again less than a minute later...

US being lazy again.

12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We got a lot of works to do. That last goal, meh.

Semblance17 repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final.

3-3

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hamm in 2011 WWC. She was the only one not reminiscing and doing actual tv analyst work.

15. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    What a game. Shoddy U.S. defending at times. But my goodness, the fans got their money worth tonight. This Japan 2.0 is going to a contender again in 2019 after some seasoning. Their young players have no fear.

blissett repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, that was kind of ugly. For the neutral fan though, a fun back-and-forth thriller. I hope for the players, it serves as a pre-Olympic wake-up call.

17. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #92 Cannons, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Welcome back Ellis, I knew you'd be back at some point. You can't just win games by showing up all the time

Japan was far better technically than us. Their touch and control was amazing. They had more skill overall (except Pugh...our best player) but we're simply physically bigger and in the end, it wears them down. US was lucky to get get ahead and Im not sure that would have happened had they not gotten a man advantage. That being said, we were ahead and didnt close it out. That's just poor play and shows what I think we have always had... poor coaching.

blissett and Semblance17 repped this.
  18. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That was a great game. Inexperienced Japanese team -- a man down for 30 minutes -- ties mighty US. Exquisite play by Japan during much of the game.

The US back line looked vulnerable to me. Morgan was obviously the POTM for US. I wasn't overly impressed with anybody else.

After years of never being mentioned during national team telecasts, the announcers could barely utter a sentence without the words "NWSL" in it. Could it be that Fox has a contract to broadcast NWSL games -- and is doing a bit of promoting? Well, bully for them.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have preferred a loss. Atrocious performance by just about every US player on the field. Every area was lacking- shoddy defending on the 3 Japan goals, toothless midfield, and the forward line was quiet.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The good news is they got down by a couple early and didnt implode. Bad news is Ellis' theory that there is no place for a defensive midfielder in the modern game just bit her in the back side.

CoachJon repped this.
  21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jill Ellis fired in 5.....4......3......2......

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well..... the last two coaches had their last games at that field, so........

23. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan was stone cold: consistent, patient, smart, disciplined, technical play even when outnumbered for almost 40 minutes. I never really saw their fatigue set in noticeably in the second half, the debilitating fatigue that was repeatedly almost guaranteed by the commentators (altitude my eye), even though each player had to work 10% harder. As the commentators mentioned near the end of the match, the mostly young and inexperienced Japanese squad had no apparent nervousness, in contrast to the jitters that strangely seemed to afflict their #1 ranked opposition. They matched the U.S. at every turn and made the reigning World Cup champions look by far the sloppiest they've looked all year.

If not for the red card, it's very plausible this game might have ended 3-1 Japan, because an already capable Japanese defense seemed to strengthen after Morgan's first goal, and at 11 v. 11 the Japanese possession may have worn down the U.S. if anything. The U.S. definitely has some recalibration to do before Sunday's rematch. But I'm happy for Japan; this should be a huge confidence boost for them, and they earned it. Aside from getting too physical and a little reckless on the fouls at times, they really didn't make too many glaring mistakes in this match.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  24. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Alex manages to muscle in goals, but I don't think she makes great decisions a lot of the time outside of her speed past the defender comfort zone. I thought she was just ok tonight. I'd really like to see press start up front. She has beautiful ball technique.

JJ and Brian were the weak links. I fear brunn is on the decline. And I think we need to sit Solo.

25. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sauerbrunn gambled on one of her step ups & left Johnston in that position.