WNT v France, Mar. 6, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Mar 4, 2016.

1. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there was some interesting switching happening in this game - Pugh and Heath, Kling and O'Hara.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It was interesting that Pugh had a spell of success during a switch to the left...then went right back to the right.

exref repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I would post impressions and random observations from my Nissan Stadium experience.

First: out of 25,000 plus fans, there must have been 10,000+ Alex Morgan shirts, followed by Wambach at a ratio of about 50:1. I looked for and was disappointed to see only 3 Rapinoe shirts. I took a deep breath and told myself “whatever gets them to buy tickets and come to the game is good.” Aside from a couple of folks in Red stars gear and my Flash stuff, I saw no other NWSL teams represented by the fans. NWSL did get some video screen time before the game and at the half.

During the ‘free play’ part of pre-game warmups, Jae Hinkle paired up with Lauren Barnes.

The two giant video screens, on at each end of the field were impressive. They were helpful to follow action on the near sideline and near corners, especially when people stood up. I caught myself watching the video and not the field a few times. I have only been to a couple of Bills games, but no other NFL games (or MLS), so the size and video quality were awesome to me.

Player introductions were done before they paraded onto the field with big individual photos of each player on all four teams on the video boards, which I liked. During the walk-on, Carli Lloyd was smiling and chatting with her mascot, a big difference from the game where her mascot cried. A woman opera singer did the national anthems for US and France – in French - and another women did them for England and Germany (in German, apparently better than the effort in Tampa). I liked the first singer better.

After the game, Heath and Horan spent time with their PSG teammates. Lindsey was with them a long time – I don’t remember that she joined the US team in their post-game lap around the field.

I felt that Morgan’s pure joy for scoring the goal was more expansive than it has been for any of her goals since 2012

The American Outlaws also impressed me, this was the largest number of them I have personally witnessed.

I found the food and drink vendors to be very friendly, and the service to be good. They had Beer guys in the stands, who are a staple at baseball games and I miss at Sahlen’s, where not even hot dog or cotton candy guys work the stands.

McSkillz, lil_one, Semblance17 and 5 others repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hat's off to Tennessee who have really shown as WoSo fans twice in the last twelve months

5. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad the game in Chattanooga was the second rendition of Noah's Ark.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    You are correct, I did go back to watch the tape and she did start on the right. What must have stuck in my mind is most of her good plays came from on the left side.

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Funny story, during the Germany-England game, the score board near the gate were we met had a bit of malfunction and apparently people were not happy so each time it looked like it was coming on again, there was a huge cheer which took on a life of it's own.

As for NWSL gear, I actually wore my Reign training shirt to the Tampa game but know one would have notice as it was so cold that I had my jacket on.

CoachJon repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But in the play that resulted in the goal, didn't she come from the right, go diagonally forward and to the left with the ball, and drop it off for Morgan?

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I think she came through the middle.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but IIRC, slightly right of middle -- but I could be wrong. But, not from the left.

11. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She came from the right and went towards the middle.
    She definitely didn't come from the left.

exref repped this.
  12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    For whatever it's worth in Ellis' free flowing offensive structure, it was interesting that when Dunn came in she went to the left flank instead of moving Pugh to the left

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seemed to me (not having re-watched the game, so could be wrong) that when Press and Dunn came on, Pugh went central and Lloyd dropped back a bit (to replace Horan who went out for Dunn and to cover because I think we switched to a 3 back until Engen came on...again could be wrong). Pugh, imo, was playing AM for the last few minutes of the game when she made that assist.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I thought they went 3-5-2 as well but on re-watch it seemed Heath played a pretty traditional FB role instead of a wing back. From the way they defended I assume Press went to CAM as she was on top with Morgan while Dunn and Pugh defended the flanks.

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I said "maybe wrong," I should have said, "probably wrong." ;) Now I need to go back and watch it. Has anyone posted the full match yet?

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    2 pages back

lil_one repped this.
  17. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @WWC_Movement had a really good quality match posted earlier in the thread, but I noticed that Youtube just put a geoblock on it because of some French Channel's copyright claims. So, I posted another copy and removed the 28 seconds of copyright material they were complaining about. Here you go.

mamalia repped this.
  18. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems when everyone knows what to do in this system, they can be very effective (as A. Morgan stated in her post-match interview). The problem is that sometimes the players are not in sync, which causes confusion and leads to turnovers.

19. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You are right Pugh played in the middle once the subs were made.

20. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't this be something . . . Pugh playing as a central attacking midfielder against Germany & the US proceeds to tear them up.

I've always believed in teams using their best playmakers (not their best scorers) right smack dab in the middle of the formation because it helps everybody else around them. Pugh at the 10 would fit that narrative, because she's made more plays than anybody since joining the team.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As perfect a pass as it was it only worked because Morgan and Press made their runs immediately on seeing Pugh get control of the ball (Also props to Press who caused the turnover). If they dont immediately start moving towards goal and drawing all the defenders with them, not only doesnt she have someone to pass to but the defense likely forces her to hold up the attack.

8MiLLeNiuM and exref repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just re-watched. Heath did drop to RB, but I think it was Press who was playing on the RM and Dunn LM. Pugh is central. However, when the goal was scored, Pugh was out on the right side (covering for Press who had ended up making a run centrally up the field when the US is coming out of their defensive shape from France's free kick). Pugh had moved out to that side to cover. However, after the kickoff, she's back central and Press outside so I think that was their assigned positions, but in the "free-flowing" offense Pugh was coming from a more RM position when she made the assist. So does that make us both right? :p

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, as I said, I cant really tell what their position in attack is based on such a short time period (pointed statement). But when they defended Press was on top not on the right flank. The standard US defense has Lloyd (CAM) and Morgan paired on top.

24. David 2016

David 2016 New Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We have a solid back line for now.... and a few more years. From now moving forward, we should build the team around Brian and Pugh.