WNT v England, Mar. 3, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too early to post this thread? Perhaps. Do I care? Absolutely not.

This will be the first meeting of the U.S. and England since the 1-0 draw in England over a year ago.

I hope the U.S. winning this game isn't contingent upon another legitimate goal by England conveniently getting disallowed.

Or upon the U.S. being the beneficiary of another 50/50 PK call, for that matter.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Untitled 4.jpg

Thursday, March 3, 2016, Raymond James Stadium; Tampa, 7:30 PM ET
    Fox Sports 1 has the TV coverage. Weather looks fine, but in Fla. it can always rain.:D

5 matches in 12 days now 3 matches in 7 days - I could get use to this.
    Lets send a message back over the pond.
    117 hours and 25 minutes and counting to kick.

2016 WILL BE GLORIOUS

BrooklynSoccer and Semblance17 repped this.
  3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you going to say that before every match in 2016? Not that that's a problem...

4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been proven that if you say something on message boards enough it will come true:D:D:D

lil_one, Semblance17 and BlueCrimson repped this.
  5. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    I had a nightmare last night that the US played Cayman Islands and everyone scored except Christen Press :(

6. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that England has arrived in Tampa and that the USWNT are on their way.

703984075753857024 is not a valid tweet id

Lovely picture of Alex with her husband...

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    CoachJon, RockyTopFan and Semblance17 repped this.
  8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pleasantly surprised how much praise this article heaps upon the U.S.

Jodie seems like a very kind and classy athlete.

One correction though, in reference to my earlier mention of the last England-U.S. matchup:

"“That’s another amazing thing about being over here – people really respect women’s football,” said Taylor, who has scored five goals in 15 international appearances since making her debut against Sweden in August 2014."

*six goals

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it that Sampson is all "We are going to win this cup."

10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does one win this cup? Just on points?

That article . . . the one thing about it that struck me as odd and not true was the scenario she described our mentality with. Make play, make a mistake, and everybody is like "no worries be happy"? (not an actual quote, but that's what she made it sound out to be) . . . That doesn't seem right at all. I mean . . . is that really why we are so good, or is it just because we take fitness & athleticism to a whole 'nother level unlike any other country in the world... in all sports?

11. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is pretty much their Olympic Games, since the FAs over there can't get along.

12. RockyTopFan

RockyTopFan Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that she is comparing how most players/coaches here, in the US, give positive reinforcement to encourage a teammate to do better. For example if a teammate shanks a pass in the US, they'll say "Don't worry about it, you'll do better next time..." compared to "STOP &%^$ing UP OR YOU'RE ON THE BENCH! $@&#!"

13. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    speaking of erroneous info:
    "Women’s football is huge in America, much bigger than the men’s game.
    In January, the US men’s team played Iceland in California, a game which attracted just 8,000 fans. Meanwhile, Ellis’s World Cup heroes played out a 5-0 win over Ireland in the same state a week earlier in front of over 23,000."

god-awful journalism. such a lame effort to prove that incorrect statement. many ignorant uk fans with no cognizance of the context within that 'evidence' will use it as ammo to attack the american mens game. guaranteed.

RalleeMonkey, sitruc and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  14. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

Concur, i was thinking the same thing.

15. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    I predict she plays the starters from Canada match. Instead of giving the actual bubble players or bench players a shot. How WNT goes. Every game is a must win unless the team is PR bad.

16. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read that the new crest doesn't debut on jerseys until March 25th, so I guess this tournament will feature the old crest in sort of a lame-duck-president type of role.

17. brjohnson

brjohnson Member

May 30, 2015
    indiana
    looking forward to replacing new zealand's practice shirts. the highlighter socks cant go quick enough either. i'm very confident in saying never was a world cup champion dressed so poorly and unlike its country.

Semblance17 repped this.
  18. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    They can donate the socks to night time roadside construction crews.

BlueCrimson, Semblance17 and RockyTopFan repped this.
  19. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    The USWNT won't be able to wear the crest first because they are women. :mad:

Hey USSF, let the squad that has earned you the only stars you have, wear the crest first.

After all, you still have some making up left for that whole Hawaii debacle.

Semblance17 and exref repped this.
  20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. There's no good reason not to debut the new crest in the first game after it's introduced. But at least the Federation's sexism allows us one last farewell to the 90s crest in this tournament.

Maybe I'm just sentimental favoring the old crest as much as I do. I think I'll grow to really like this new crest in the future, but I'm not there yet.

21. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure why it has to be sexist to allow the real money maker to debut something, but what do I know? I get that gate revenues are sometimes larger for the women's, but men's TV revenue is probably multiples higher if we add in WC money.

I like the women and found my way to this game because of the women's team, but the star winning world champion can't generate enough interest among sponsors, who only care about viewers, to compel televising to a broad audience. People who crunch those types of numbers for a living decided there was not a significant ROI. It is simple economics and cries of sexism and bitterness are a bit over the top.

22. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't completely serious when I used the term sexism, and I agree it might be a little overused. Putting the men's team first doesn't necessarily involve belittling the women's team for the sake of it. But it would be refreshing to see the Federation put aside "simple economics" for a moment.

What causes the bitterness is that the women's team's victories are seemingly taken for granted, while the men's team inconsistency and relative mediocrity are routinely rewarded with better funding and more attention. On the face of it, it's an illogical situation.

The belief is that the women's team can't get as many viewers as the men's team so it's not worth promoting as much as the men's team. But I consider that a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Eventually the Federation [among others] needs to show a will to break that loop.

It's not about money; it's about...sending a message.

[​IMG]

mamalia, babranski and jackdoggy repped this.
  23. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the way the Brazilians handle mistakes made by teammates, as an example. Also, a lot of central and south American teams have the same mentality. I have to give the US players/mentality credit, it's extremely rare to see them get upset with a teammate for making a mistake.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's just bad planning and thoughtless. If u want to debut this at men's match at the end of March then u release the new crest then not right before a woman's tournament the US Soccer is sponsoring. If the crest had been released March 10th this never would have been brought up.

25. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Starters vs England
    GK Solo
    LB Kling CB Johnston CB Sauerbrunn RB O'Hara
    LM Pugh CM Brian CM Horan RM Heath
    F Lloyd F Morgan
    You can lose your starting spot pretty quick if you don't provide offense. That's what Ellis loves. See Krieger and Dunn. Neither provided great chances on the right side.