Wizards to Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by bpKicks, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what makes KC people think the ownership is gonna keep the team here? Well there's the quotes that I posted on the first page from one of the principal owners for one. The fact that some of the people on these boards speak with the ownership group and have since just after Lamar announced he was selling the team for another. These guys want MLS to succeed in KC.

You ask what makes use so defensive? Would YOU want to lose your team? The team you've supported since it was announced you were getting a team? If you don't understand why we get defensive and want to keep our team here, you haven't seen some of the blantent, baseless information that people spew on these boards. Or you've never yourself dealt with the prospects of losing a team you saw as your own.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No attendence can be an important factor, look at the attendence from before the sale of the team, when Lamar and HSG didn't put any money into promoting the team: 10,313

Now look at the average attendence for the 3 games after OnGoal took over the team and shockingly put money into promoting the team: 14,417.

A 4K improvement, and that was with just over a month to promote those 3 as they took over right before the game in LA on Sept. 2.

3. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    KC Fans,
    I wish you the best of luck but like we say in PR.
    You pray to God but you hit them with the club.
    Hopefully OnGoal will do good for the Wizards and hopefully they do not become Saint Louis Shamrocks or something like that.
    The way I see it you can not trust MLS. Ask anybody in SJ.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two completely different situations. Any member SSV or HASF will tell you the same thing.

5. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    the only difference I see is the ownership group.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that is a pretty BIG difference between the two. Another just off the top of my head, is property value for purchasing of land for an SSS.

7. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    True.
    Actually I work for a company based in California but they do all the manufacturing in Houston (where i live) because of the property values.

8. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it easy, we don't want your damn team anyway.
    It would be fitting, though, seeing as you took our better baseball team in the 1950s.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I called the original poster an idiot because he is (or at least his deduction from one sentence taken out of context was). His post was idiotic. If someone can't use adjectives on a message board, what can he use? It's not "4 year old antics" it's using words that some people take offense to, but I chose my word carefully because I know the true meaning and meant it. I could have called him a f***ing moron, now that would have been name calling.
    Would you have preferred that I call him ignorant?
    The orignal poster's comments were "foolish, senseless and showed him to be lacking in knowledge". Better?

10. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the a's were horrable and not good when they came to kc nor when they left kc

11. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wether the A's were good or not does not impact the fact that they were and are better than the Phillies.

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing, we know we are going to remain adrift without a team despite being in one of the nation's most populous areas. Sorry we're jealous that you have an owner and we can't ********ing find one.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly has interested ownership groups (Bryan you know that).

These things take time. The O/I groups now have only recently been working on this (last 6-9 months). Unlike some of us Philly fans who have prayed for this for years.

Lets not forget that other powerful forces maybe working against Philly MLS. Like the Eagles (you think they want a rival venue in town?).

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know there are owners interested in bringing a team to Philly.

I'm interested in having a threesome.

Neither have happened yet.

15. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money's on MLS in Philly.

But that shouldn't discourage you, Bryan. A man's got to have a goal.

16. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine is too. My wife's cool and all, but my money's still on Philly :( :p

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were/are better then the Royals too, but you don't hear us complaining to Oakland about taking the A's from us. :D

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word.

Love,
    Detroit.

19. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you Pat O'Brien?

"You're so f*ckin hot, Betsy's so jealous."
    "If you agree to this, wink or something."

20. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That right there is milk-out-the-nose funny.
    I'm seriously considering making that quote into my signature.

21. PHILLYUNITEDFLY

Jul 31, 2006
    Collegeville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wizards new coach in the KC Star today:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/soccer/mls/kansas_city_wizards/16111419.htm

Onalfo said he had no hesitation taking the job, despite the fact the Wizards have yet to find a place to play for the next two years while they work to construct a permanent stadium.
    ----------
    They've gotta no home to go to--Isn't this a problem????--what gives in KC?
    Are they going to put up temporary stands for the huge throng of 5000 fans to show up at a field somewhere? Even the Wizards beat writer Bob Luder has no guesses on where they're going to play. Here's an email I received from him: "Don't know yet. Hopefully, you'll see it in The Star first. Keep looking for it. BL"
    Somebody get this team here--Eddie Johnson would be great to see play all year at Franklin Field.

22. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you should give it rep also ;)

23. bpKicks

bpKicks New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Philadelphia
    like I've been saying, give the dudes from Cerner the right incentives and the team will be in Philly before next season. They don't care about anything but the money.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how did you come by this information?

OnGoal and the principles at Cerner seemed dedicated to KC. My personal email correspondences with them made me think so.

25. bpKicks

bpKicks New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Philadelphia
    actual memo from Neal Patterson to his managers from a few years ago...of course he is going to keep a "public" image of being pro-KC for the Wizards, but privately, he used that angle to buy the team at a discount...now he'll take them to wherever he can get the best deal.

-----Original Message-----
    To: DL_ALL_MANAGERS;
    Subject: MANAGEMENT DIRECTIVE: Week #10_01: Fix it or changes will be made
    Importance: High

To the KC_based managers:

I have gone over the top. I have been making this point for over one year.

We are getting less than 40 hours of work from a large number of our KC-based EMPLOYEES.
    The parking lot is sparsely used at 8AM; likewise at 5PM. As managers -- you either do
    not know what your EMPLOYEES are doing; or YOU do not CARE. You have created
    expectations on the work effort which allowed this to happen inside Cerner, creating a
    very unhealthy environment. In either case, you have a problem and you will fix it or
    I will replace you.

NEVER in my career have I allowed a team which worked for me to think they had a 40 hour
    job. I have allowed YOU to create a culture which is permitting this. NO LONGER.

At the end of next week, I am plan to implement the following:
    1. Closing of Associate Center to EMPLOYEES from 7:30AM to 6:30PM.
    2. Implementing a hiring freeze for all KC based positions. It will require Cabinet
    approval to hire someone into a KC based team. I chair our Cabinet.
    3. Implementing a time clock system, requiring EMPLOYEES to 'punch in' and 'punch out'
    to work. Any unapproved absences will be charged to the EMPLOYEES vacation.
    4. We passed a Stock Purchase Program, allowing for the EMPLOYEE to purchase Cerner
    stock at a 15% discount, at Friday's BOD meeting. Hell will freeze over before this
    CEO implements ANOTHER EMPLOYEE benefit in this Culture.
    5. Implement a 5% reduction of staff in KC.
    6. I am tabling the promotions until I am convinced that the ones being promoted are
    the solution, not the problem. If you are the problem, pack you bags.

I think this parental type action SUCKS. However, what you are doing, as managers,
    with this company makes me SICK. It makes sick to have to write this directive.

I know I am painting with a broad brush and the majority of the KC based associates are
    hard working, committed to Cerner success and committed to transforming health care. I
    know the parking lot is not a great measurement for 'effort'. I know that 'results' is
    what counts, not 'effort'. But I am through with the debate.

We have a big vision. It will require a big effort. Too many in KC are not making the
    effort.

I want to hear from you. If you think I am wrong with any of this, please state your
    case. If you have some ideas on how to fix this problem, let me hear those. I am very
    curious how you think we got here. If you know team members who are the problem, let me
    know. Please include (copy) Kynda in all of your replies.

I STRONGLY suggest that you call some 7AM, 6PM and Saturday AM team meetings with the
    EMPLOYEES who work directly for you. Discuss this serious issue with your team. I
    suggest that you call your first meeting -- tonight. Something is going to change.

I am giving you two weeks to fix this. My measurement will be the parking lot: it
    should be substantially full at 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM. The pizza man should show up at
    7:30 PM to feed the starving teams working late. The lot should be half full on
    Saturday mornings. We have a lot of work to do. If you do not have enough to keep your
    teams busy, let me know immediately.

Folks this is a management problem, not an EMPLOYEE problem. Congratulations, you are
    management. You have the responsibility for our EMPLOYEES. I will hold you
    accountable. You have allowed this to get to this state. You have two weeks. Tick,
    tock.

Neal …..
    Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
    Cerner Corporation www.cerner.com
    2800 Rockcreek Parkway; Kansas City, Missouri 64117
    "We Make Health Care Smarter"