Wizards to Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by bpKicks, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speaking of brain dead, build a stadium before you have an owner? Talk about doing things backward! No wonder the dynamos need to move to Philadelphia, so that will balance the Pittsburgh Pens to Kaye Cee... it's about time kaye cee got a nice team from the git go.. mabbe champions of the NH of L in the future???? Wouldn't that be nice?

Anyway, Philly needs a team, and the dynamo fit that purfectly....

And Houston can get an expansion franchise in the MFL..... and houstonians can look south for their soccer excitement.....

I think that would be for the best of MLS.....

Hey that's my opinion.. because I want Philly to have a great team to compete with DC United....

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Partially also because in 2005 they had a big ol' doubleheader which skewed the average.

Chicago actually is doing a bit better financially than it did at SF, which is really all that mattered, this average vs. that average be damned.

I believe that's true - they have grown their average announced attendance back nicely. Of course, there was an article in one of the Dallas papers that the in-house was quite a bit lower than the announced, but that's true for most folks. From what I understand, because of the entire PHP complex, the FCD entity (along with the SUM part) has a chance to be profitable, which, again, is all that really matters.

3. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are all dumber for having read this.

You may want Houston to move to Philly so you can have a good team, but Houston is in love with the Dynamo & they aren't moving.

AEG is keeping the Dynamo, for now, so we have an owner. And even if they announced a stadium tomorrow, it would be done before the contract is over with the University of Houston, meaning that the Dynamo can't move (to a new stadium or Philly) till 2009 anyway.

4. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there an announcement saying that FCD was profitable last season? Or some article? I remember reading that somewhere...

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I've heard that the whole operation has a chance to be profitable considering all the fields and the complex and everything. But there's not usually an "announcement" that someone is profitable.

The article I'm thinking of was one by Steve Davis (I think) based on an interview with the GM of FCD. I'm sure it's lost to pay-for-news-hell by now.

6. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I think this is may be what you are referring to, from Garber's Washington press conference in May, 2006:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060511-120809-9655r.htm

This was part of Garber's tour of all MLS cities, and he made similar comments in other press conferences that were reported in other papers.

Here is what he said in Columbus:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/business-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/06/30/20060630-G1-01.html

7. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

It is DYNAMO not Dynamos and Houston Dynamo has an owner.
    You dumbf**k racist.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simmer down ppl. I pull out the editting bat next.

9. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crack that whip, Ethan.

[​IMG]

10. Net_Minder

Net_Minder Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sure you have an owner:rolleyes: one that'll move your team if you don't get stadium built soon.:eek:

11. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you don't have to call me names, I just don't think Houston is a good MLS market, and really doesn't deserve a team in mls. I didn't say they couldn't or shouldn't have a team in MFL.

AEG is a TEMPORARY owner, who wants to dump the team... And you got an American Football stadium, not a true soccer stadium...

Maybe Club America will build a stadium when they get an expansion team in MFL.

Just move the team somewhere that wants an MLS team. Please. ST Louis would be a great fit, unless they move it back to where the team belongs, San Jose, moving into a SOCCER stadium, and selling the team to a real owner, Wolf of the A's.

Don't make this personal Santa Americo..

12. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly makes you think that Houston shouldn't have a team? Is it the big crowds? The HUGE Sea of Orange at the home games? Houston impressed me this season and I think they're here to stay.

13. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close This Thread.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering after MLS Cup, Anschutz said he wasn't interested in selling, I think you might be incorrect there.

15. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DO YOU THINK he will sell chicago or LA before he sells houston?

16. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread stinks.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps.

I didn't think he'd sell Colorado, seeing as how that was his first team and his home team.

I don't think sentiment enters into it so much anymore.

In any case, I don't think he looks at AEG as any more of a "temporary" owner of Houston than of Chicago or LA. Which is to say, I'd imagine any or all of those teams are available for the right price.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread serves absolutely no purpose to Philly fans (I mean even more than other BS threads).

Hence, it is now closed.

Thanks!