Wizards/Sporting Alumni v9.1 [R for all games]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way we've played this year I'm not sure where Latif would get a lot of time. The way KC plays he wouldn't get time at center forward and with the way Salloi and Russell are playing he's not playing on the wing.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Part of the deal I think most of us have accepted is that Peter Vermes is going to be Peter Vermes. The system is going to take preference over the skills and aptitudes of specific players. Whether it's Herculez Gomez, Omar Bravo, or Latif Blessing.

On the one hand we see players not used to their potential, and some not used much at all. On the other hand we keep painting that wall.

I wish Peter showed an ability to rotate the squad and keep the team fresh at the end of the season. Tactical subs before the 85th minute, for instance. But Peter is Peter, and we keep winning trophies.

But the thing that works as a club coach makes me cringe whenever his name is mooted for the USMNT job. I'm sure Peter would love to be the national team coach. And perhaps he'd approach the job differently because he would be restricted to the players eligible to play for the U.S. As we learned so painfully this last cycle, we can't waste resources. The USMNT coach has to be able to fashion a team and playing style designed to maximize the results from the players available. No "my way or the highway" rigidly imposed style.

Latif is neither the first, nor will he be the last player that seems to flourish after leaving SKC. And that's good for Latif. I want to see players succeed. As long as we're painting the all every two or three seasons, the tradeoff will be worth it.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a move that seems slightly surprising to some Fire fans given how much he played (and to me because it is coming after the window closed) the Fire waived Ellis.

IASocFan and mschofield repped this.
  4. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of BS is that.....waived after the window? Does that mean he is locked out of any roster spots until next season? If it is , can he still join a USL side?

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is he can still join other MLS or USL teams.

6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Out of contract players can still be signed for the next month. Got to think it would be even easier for waived players.

7. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. I’ve always liked Ellis and hope he lands at another mls club, or would be a good addition to Cincinnati FC.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    People who need a defender would find him quite attractive. A guy who has started quite a lot of games during the last three seasons and brings in a check that is very much bench depth.
    Did something happen with Chicago? I got the sense he might be out of the starting lineup with their two new defensive signings (Hasler and del Grecco) but I would have thought that would have pushed Ellis to the bench, or even into the squad. Out the door seems a bit odd, unless something happened. Did something happen? Any word? On the Fire board they seem just as surprised.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his goodbye tweet (something he never did leaving here) I don’t think it was a big issue if there was one

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Was just looking at the DC/Orlando match and got to thinking about Uri, so checked his Audi numbers. Wow. That team are a hot mess, somehow, despite him putting up numbers such as 87 completed pass, 8 uncompleted passes, adding in five interceptions, an assist, a key pass, 3 blocked shots and more.

11. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Orlando is a dumpster fire right now. Their locker room is a mess and their front office has no clue.

12. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    I feel like every time i look at an orlando scoreline it's like 3-2, 4-3, 4-1, etc etc. have they had a low scoring game this season?

also, the highlights are well worth watching. apparently rooney can still run!

mschofield repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More than can run, was willing to. That is the sort of play that makes him a DC legend. It's nice that Rooney isn't treating MLS as a retirement league. Players that do that (cough, Gerard) tend to suck.
    That game had Uri putting in a great overall performance and Dom with a pretty sweet goal. But you're right, even if dumpster fires might feel insulted by the comparison

IASocFan repped this.
  14. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Nielsen named head coach of new USL team Hartford Athletic.

mschofield repped this.
  15. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Kevin Ellis is back in business after being picked up by DC United. I hope he secures a permanent spot.

mschofield repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice team to hook up with right now. When an MLS club puts a player on waivers halfway through the season, does that cancel their contract (as it was made with MLS on behalf of the club, not by the club)? Also, this is interesting, because while DC had an injury spot to fill, they didn't seem to have as pressing a need for a defender as several other clubs. They seem to be looking for depth (he'd be behind Arriola, right, or is he now considered a CB?), while others need starters. Still, cool situation, and good luck to him.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a player is waived after the contract guarantee date (July 1, which is why we always waive players right before that date) then the club that waived him is still on the hook for his contract unless he is picked up. If a player is on a guaranteed contract they're still on the hook unless another team picks the player up no matter the date.

As for DC and injuries at defender I point to this tweet from Goff:

mschofield repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So this was after July 1, meaning MLS was paying him for the year anyway. I would guess that would mean they had encouraged folks looking for help to pick him up (even though the money was coming from the Chicago salary budget) because, basically, he was sunk cost and as of now for DC is essentially found money?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. It's also why the league "loaned" Movsisyan to a club earlier this year after RSL waived him, cause he was on a guaranteed contract, so the league was paying him no matter what.

mschofield repped this.
  20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mschofield and IASocFan repped this.
  21. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny is out of contract at LAFC and they haven't extended him an offer (at least, not yet) Who does he go to if LAFC doesn't extend an offer, or is this the end of his career?

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While his performance (3g, 6a) wasn't great (he had 5g, 3a his last season here) he set a career high for minutes. He might have to take a pay cut, but someone will pick him up.

23. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    tbh something had to give at LAFC and it seems like it's Benny. You won't be able to turn him into a def mid and at his preferred position, they've got better.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would think Cinci would be thrilled to pick Benny up. They really need to upgrade just about everywhere, and picking up a still middle of the pack c-mid would be a be help to them. Didn't the piece say he started 32 games this season, and that was on a very competitive side.
    He could retire, but I would imagine he will have quite a few options around MLS. Beyond Cinci where I'd see him as an everyday starter, and where I'd guess he'd come in close to his current salary, he'd have other places where he could start and a lot of places interested in him as a spot starter.

25. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Benny is back near his family in Cali, I doubt he would leave for Cincinnati. If anything, he would go across the street to the Galaxy if they offered him something. Outside of that, probably retirement and a commentator gig at ESPN or FOX. He is a pretty funny guy with a lot of experience and anything would be better than Twellman.

IASocFan repped this.