With the death of the Confederations Cup how much does the Gold Cup actually matter?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by moleman, Jun 6, 2019.

?

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you care about the Gold Cup now without the Confederations Cup?

1. 1 - I don’t care at all and won’t watch any matches

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. 3

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. 4

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. 5

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. 6

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. 7

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  8. 8

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. 9

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. 10 - I care a lot, and this tournament is equivalent to the World Cup for me

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I just hate the attitude that everything outside the World Cup, is just practice for the World Cup, even to the point some act like you should sit your starters in the Gold Cup Championship Game to "develop" young players for the 3 or 4 WC games every 4 years, NO, every tournament matters, GC is not practice for WC, it's an end unto itself.

2. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm not an expert on El Tri but that looks pretty close to their A team to me. We're in transition but we've got pretty much all our top guys here.

Agree, but that doesn't mean this tournament doesn't and shouldn't count.

I do think it should be only every four years. Wish FIFA would mandate that. But it won't happen because US based Mexico fans are the ATM machine for Concacaf and Gold Cups are their primary chance to make money off of them.

But even with two every cycle the first one is always the more important one because it's the easiest to get players released so more top players. Hence the reason THIS Gold Cup matters.

3. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Should matter and do matter are two very different things though. Just look at how few people showed up to watch the US vs. Curaçao game (quarterfinals). I bet you in 2026, the US’ games will be sold out and the country will be buzzing if we make it to another quarterfinal in a World Cup.

Bottom line is that outside of hardcore fans, nobody cares about the US beating Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, or Curaçao in matches with zero World Cup implications.

4. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I do, it's JUST A TV SHOW, if you don't watch stuff like friendlies or the GC then what's the use? There's only 3-4 games to watch every 4 years. I live in Baltimore, I went to the GC when they played here 4 years ago, I'd go if it was local to me. So you don't care, you only want to see the "important" games, that's fine. I love the GC, it's 4+ games every couple years to watch with the USMNT in a competition that they can realistically in, I don't care who they play, I enjoy it. In fact I'd enjoy it less if I was watching them lose to Brazil 5-0. I'd rather see close game vs. Curacao. IT'S NOTHING BUT ENTERTAINMENT, so I watch.

How many people show up doesn't determine if it "matters" or not.

nfiniti and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US' games will be sold out ... for the other teams' fans. Our own fans usually root against the team.

Suyuntuy repped this.