With the death of the Confederations Cup how much does the Gold Cup actually matter?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by moleman, Jun 6, 2019.

?

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you care about the Gold Cup now without the Confederations Cup?

1. 1 - I don’t care at all and won’t watch any matches

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. 3

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. 4

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. 5

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. 6

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. 7

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  8. 8

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. 9

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. 10 - I care a lot, and this tournament is equivalent to the World Cup for me

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    #1 moleman, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Unlike in previous editions where entry into the Confederations Cup was on the line, offering the US valuable tune-up games against high-level opponents in a semi-competitive setting and a chance to become familiar with the World Cup setting in advance, this year’s Gold Cup and all those that follow will only offer bragging rights.

Assuming no merger with CONMEBOL or a replacement for the Confederations Cup, how much do you care about this tournament going forward? Outside of blooding new young players, does it have value in your eyes? Is it a must watch tournament or simply a case of “I’ll tune in for the semifinals and final if the US is in it?”

2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If your team wins it, you also get to the sing Queen's "We are the champions.....

:p

50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    All competitive NT games are important to me. Even before I viewed the Confed Cup as a bonus more so than the main prize. Of course, that doesn't mean it's on the same level as the World Cup (or the Copa America if the U.S. were ever to participate again), but smaller scale trophies are still celebrated the world over in soccer. Gold Cup is a interesting competition to me.

owian, bigredfutbol, largegarlic and 5 others repped this.
  4. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    They still get to hoist that comically large trophy with the pointy handles if they win, right? I care about that.

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Saying it isn't important just sounds like an excuse to lose to me.

50/50 Ball and Ironbound repped this.
  6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Though the trophy is less comically huge and less pointy than it used to be since 2013, so that's a downside. Really kills the prestige.

adam tash repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It definitely matters. Obviously, winning the GC is no where close to winning a WC... but we are in the CONCACAF... winning the GC means you are that conference champion.

firesting81, 50/50 Ball and CMeszt repped this.
  8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USMNT matters, the regional championship matters.

firesting81, owian, bigredfutbol and 4 others repped this.
  9. akattack

akattack Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Shrewsbury
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Its not a 10 thats just WC. But this Gold Cup matters because we need to see a cohesive plan in competitive setting after last cycle.

10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Why does the Gold Cup matter? Because we still haven't avenged this shit:

bigredfutbol and LGRod repped this.
  11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's your continental Championship. It means much more than the Confederations Cup which was only a warm up tournament and didn't really rate much higher than a friendly.

owian repped this.
  12. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I’ve always felt the Gold Cup to be a lose-lose for the US.

US wins tournament: “So what? Big deal, who did they even beat? A bunch of nobodies”

US loses tournament: “Embarrassing! The US can’t even beat these countries with not even a tenth of our population. US Soccer is terrible.”

danielh repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meanwhile....as brazil is beating honuras 7-0 and norway had a single player score 9 goals vs honduras u20......

CONCACAF is a joke.....the bar for success/failure is simpy higher than whatever ends up happening in the gold cup...

I'll still watch the games but they are close to meaningless in the wider world of soccer.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    a lot more than people think.

-no more Confederations Cup
    -USA is NOT participating in Copa America 2019

-According to reports doesn't seem like they will participate for the Copa America 2020, with reported Qatar and Australia being the guests in another 12 team tourney.

all that leaves you is Gold Cup and Concacaf Nations League. But if you want proper tournament experience it's only your double Gold Cup.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Who doesn't want to win the Championship of their confederation? We all do.
    But it's not the sheer results that matter. Its the integration of new players and gelling for when the games actually matter. So yes, its important.

We won the Gold Cup in 2017. People remember that right? And then we failed to qualify for the World Cup. So what did winning the Gold Cup matter...............? I don't know.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well the 2017 Gold Cup was a B one (CC is dead now) and USA didn't bother with integration of players with that one, using all 6 subs in the knockouts (one of the dumbest rules I've ever seen. Good that 2019 doesn't have it anymore).

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This specific one is important.
    Important to get the bad taste of losing our of their mouths, get the fans energized again and just have some momentum going into the Nations League and WCQing.

The one in 2021 though won't mean much to me.

18. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the current leadership at USSF, I can't see the US qualifying for Qatar. They're dangerously incompetent and it's destroying the men's program. Right now, it looks closer to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Qatar is a different matter and is something to think about later.
    Right now the focus is on the Gold Cup and we are going to have to dig deep and do some soul searching to win it.

20. LordofBrewtown

Wigan Athletic
    United States
    Nov 19, 2018
    I care a lot. It's not the world cup; but, the championship for our region should matter. Also, counts for world rankings, which are always used for seedings & pot draws. If we want to be considered a good team, have to do well, especially considering it's always at home.

I'm not overly optimistic about the US chances this year though. Fortunately for the US (unfortunately for the confederation), all of CONCACAF seems to me to be somewhat down (nobody really seems to be in a 'golden generation' cycle), so the US may fare well even in its present state.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The field reminds me a lot of the 2005 cup despite not being an off cycle year. And for the US we've got a pretty rough around the edges squad but still have Pulisic and McKennie to be our Donovan and Beasley.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beating Mexico in a competitive match is very important, so that makes the tournament important to me.

owian, bigredfutbol and TKyle repped this.
  23. ChuckBlazersCat

Tottenham Hotspur, Celtic FC, FC St. Pauli, Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 25, 2019
    I'll still watch, and beating Mexico and the others for the Cup does still matter, but it is lousy to no longer have the potential CONCACAF Cup and Confederations Cup games. As far as I'm concerned, the more competitive games we play against good teams, and the more chances the USMNT get to be in the general sports conscious, the better. In both the 2009 Confed Cup and the 2015 CONCACAF Cup, there was considerable buzz around the team. Nothing wrong with that.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am hoping Canada or Costa Rica find a way to beat Mexico in the semis.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    This is the 'A' team Gold Cup and ggg called in the 'A' team. At this point in time, making it to the finals is important, given the sorry performances from the team under ggg.