Wisden Footballers of the Year

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does anyone have issues with:

Pesek
    Orth
    Morton
    Tesoriere
    Konrad?

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Only if I influenced things too much on Konrad (but if you think he might be a good call too then it's obviously fine by me). Peter was suggesting Morton in effect anyway I think and his logic made sense to me.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I am happy with all those.

4. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Same here.

5. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Amateur Era (Before 1888)

Arthur Kinnaird
    W. N. Cobbold
    Nick Ross
    Charles Campbell
    Jimmy Forrest

The Early League Era (From 1888 to 1904, when FIFA was founded)

Steve Bloomer
    G.O. Smith
    John Goodall
    Ernest Needham
    James Cowan

The Early International Era (From 1904 to 1919)

Vivian Woodward
    Imre Schlosser
    Bob Crompton
    Jose Piendibene
    Bobby Walker

Fred Morris
    Sam Hardy
    Billy Meredith
    Angel Romano
    Armand Swartenbroeks

Kalman Konrad
    Karel Pesek
    Gyorgy Orth
    Americo Tesoriere
    Alan Morton

Candidates:

Andy Wilson. Was top scorer in the English league with Middlesbrough. Also scored the winner in a 1-0 win vs England and a brace in a 2-1 win vs Ireland. Scotland generally seemed to have played below standards the entire home championship and were lucky in winning/drawing some poorly played games and managed to win the title.

Celtic won the title in Scotland, beating rivals Rangers by a single point. Star players were Patsy Gallagher (39 games 17 goals, also played for Ireland vs Scotland. He was noted as Ireland's best attacker of the game and was the center of their best dangerous play, combining will with Bill Lacey his wing.) and team captain and center half William Cringan (played two international for Scotland with mixed reviews).

Liverpool won the title in England with Elisha Scott, Bill Lacey, Tom Bromilow, and Harry Chambers as their key players. Billy Walker had a a strong season in England scoring 21 times in the league leading Villa to 5th place and also played twice for England.

Renzo De Vecchi wins the league title in Italy but I am not sure how good a candidate he is as Italy seems far behind its central European rivals.

Sparta Prague and MTK are still two of the top continental teams and retain dominance in their leagues. With Orth already used and Braun missing much of the year with injury the best MTK option is probably Vilmos Kertész, who was capped in all 6 of Hungary's games. With Pesek used for Sparta theri next best bets would be Jan Dvořáček or František Kolenatý.

In Spain Barcelona are the top team winning the Copa Del Rey with stars Ricardo Zamora, Paulinho Alcantara, and Josep Samiter. All three are keys for Spain who win both internationals played that year, Alcantara scored a brace in France. In the last three rounds of the Copa del Rey (5 games) Alcantara scored 8 times, including a brace in the final vs an excellent Real Union side featuring Petit and Gamborena.

In South America Brazil win the South American Championship led by Corinthians stalwarts Neco and Amilcar. Manuel Seoane has an amazing individual season scoring 55 times in 40 games leading Independiente to the title and launching himself as Argentina's biggest star of the decade.

I personally would go with

Seoane
    Gallacher
    Wilson
    Alcantara
    Scott

comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    At this stage I think I'd definitely approve of Seoane and Gallacher (Tom's info and their general standing both positive I think). Probably Alcantara too. Those 3 I might have picked out myself even, but Tom's list of 5 looks good; I'm sure others will have a say before moving on though.

I haven't thought in depth or gone back to the general list on the other thread, to look outside of those named by Tom yet. But I thought bumping the thread and commending a nice post by Tom might be a good idea at this point.

7. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    The choices look fine to me. If we were looking for the best players then Zamora or Samitier might replace Wilson. But this is more about impact and Wilson's goals provided that.

PDG1978 repped this.