Winter Transfer Thread ** Vietato Fumare **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How much has changed since last August. Glad to see such a freaking positive response.

2. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
  3. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another stealth pickup by Sabatini! Add in Fazio and this was a fantastic market. Pjanic who? I forgot all about him with the way Strootman is playing. Hopefully Monchi arrives this summer to continue where Walter left off, but add the team building aspect.

4. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From what I've been noticing over the past few years, is that Palotta keeps hinting towards the Boston Celtics organization these past few years, from Rudi making that remark after leaving the meeting, to Monchi taking that picture courtside. From what I expect, Palotta wants to find his Danny Ainge, the Celtics GM.
    For those unaware, Ainge has been known as someone who capitalizes on teams' misfortunes and has been building an extremely competitive team while having low cost, high talent players while being fiscally responsible. They are a top 4 team in the NBA while at the same time hold the worst team in the league's draft picks for the next two years. I assume this is the type of strategy they're going for.

5. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are about to get a huge curveball with Inter's financial injections.

romanista8910 and Shen-O repped this.
  6. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just sort of perusing for CB's, Dragovic is a good one. Very comfortable playing the ball. One that's blipped my radar recently is Atleti's Jose Gimenez. He was fantastic on their run to the CL final last year. His reps are down this year, so the value could be there. He's more of a like for like Manolas replacement than a ball playing type.

I swear Kolasinac would make a good ball-playing CB, but I don't think he's played there a day in his life. He'd have to be a capable LCB in the three man back line though.

Are we really? They've been a money-splashing, rudderless ship for a couple years now. Now some new guy comes in, and the papers assume they're gonna throw even more money around, but so what if they do?

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love, love, love Kolasinac and would be perfect in a 3 man back. I think his contract is up in June and I'm not sure what's going on with him . He reminds me a lot of Manolas in that he has good speed and plays with a lot of attitude. Next season we could start with JJ, Fazio and Rudiger along the back and work Kolasinac in.

8. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Rumours a few weeks ago said that Juve are already working on a deal to bring him in for free.

9. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More people assuming Inter are to be reckoned with.

Strootman has another year on his contract, so I do expect his rumor mill to be spinning this summer. It'd be naive to think any player has a shred of loyalty to us, but I think Strootman's move would be to England. De Rossi's pay cut could allow us to give Strootman whatever he wants though.

11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think loyalty has limits I do think that Strootman has a LOT of loyalty to Roma and would never go to a direct competitor.

Like any other year I expect 99% of the stuff printed never to come to fruition

12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point you have to scratch your head and wonder what some of these players are thinking. A guy like Kolasinac would not get playing time there. Our old friend Benatia has played a grand total of 10 games in all competitions for them last time I checked. Players always do this. They go to big clubs then 9 months later are complaining because they aren't playing.

13. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's simple, be the direct back up to the best left back in the league in the best team in the league in a UCL competing team al the while being paid better than most

14. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree but like I said they inevitably complain about playing time.

15. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Money heals all wounds

16. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably not even as complex as playing time, club status, etc. It's wage and whoever will pay off the player's agent. It's pretty rare that a player lets his contract run out without an idea of where he's headed, and Juve have been known to tap up a player or two and get them on a free.

They could even run Alex Sandro in the LM slot on their more conservative days like they do on the right with squishy face and Dani Alves.

17. mancini30

mancini30 Member+

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Keep Strootman, he is the only real world class mf we got now.
    Nainggolan plays better to be a LCF, DdR is getting old fast and should be moved as vice-Fazio and midfield backup option, Paredes is trash, Grenier and Gerson are invisible to Spalletti.
    We need Kessie and Pellegrini this summer, Paredes, Gerson and Grenier are goners.

Pellegrini Strootman
    Kessie
    (Florenzi, DdR, Radja, add one more for backup maybe)

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my one complaint about Spalletti, he relies far too much on his first 11 and never works in other players. There are plenty of opportunities against bottom teams, weaker EL teams and CI to work in Gerson, Totti, SES and even Grenier since his arrival.

Hell, Napoli started the kid Rog yesterday. People always want to sell/loan our young players but playing in 3 competitions like Roma have been lately there is more than enough games to play and develop them. Instead we go into the season with 4 MF one who is 33, 1 real ST, 3 wide players. A team like Roma can't afford to have 5 quality, established MF or 2 quality ST on its roster. They need to have a guy like Sadiq that they can throw in against Palermo and give Dzeko a break or a guy like Pellegrini who can play against Empoli and give Ninja or Strootman a game off.

Radja, Dzeko, Strootman, Peres, Fazio and Manolas all have played over 2500 mins (Ninja and Dzeko over 3,000). That doesn't even include Salah who has played 2,000 but that doesn't include his time at the ACN.