Winter Transfer Forum (WTF) - 2018/19

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by speker, Oct 11, 2018.

1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Suss repped this.
  2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The arguments that they make for Gross is that he is a decent player attacking midfielder, who is familiar with Klopp’s style, and has no goals or assists this season. Isn’t that Lallana’s role now?

Like I said, I’ve never payed attention to any individual players while watching Brighton. If Klopp wanted him, I would trust his judgement.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's defo a problem area in so far as none of our mf's have been adding much in the goal dept . I think a goal scoring mf'r is still high on our target list (scratch Fekir) but that may have to wait until summer.
    Having said that I think Klopp may well be looking to add some creativity to his mf for the second half of the season . Whether that's Gross or not remains to be seen .

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It would probably take someone as good as Fekir for it to be worth it. We have Shaqiri and Keita as attacking midfield options. We also have played Firmino as a number 10 a lot. Sturridge is an option as well. Then there is Lallana who Klopp hasn’t given up on yet. It would take a mighty good player to walk into the team in the middle of the season and start getting picked ahead of all those players. Then next season Ox will be back, and Harry Wilson could return from loan to compete for a place.

I don’t see us doing anything in January. We currently need a centerback, but when everyone is fit that is an area of strength.

EruditeHobo and SamScouse repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    dcc134 and newterp repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's mourinho's ghost writer I believe.

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I saw it suggested that we make a move for Benjamin Pavard. He apparently has a release clause of 35m. World Cup winner that can play both right back and center-back.

9. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we pick up a RB/CB I'd prefer it be someone like lichensteiner, a 30+ solid player who won't impede TAA or Gomez Development

Getting someone young like Pavard would be a bad move.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CB/RB makes sense. CB/LB might make more sense, long term, any of those around?

All things considered Pavard might be a pretty shrewd move right now.

LFC being again linked to Pulisic, but doesn't seem to be a whole lot of there there. He may be off to Chelsea in the summer, waiting on good sources for any of this.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that we really want him - injured a lot and hasn't really done much to justify the hype (and the price tag that will come with it).

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd tend to agree but because it's BVB and "Klopp found him" or whatever, these things just continue to pop up every window until he does finally make a move. He would be one for the future for LFC, and likely a versatile player within Klopp's system -- backup at LW, RW, 10, 8 maybe -- but at that price? I don't know, how much should one pay for a versatile young backup? It's hard to say. I'd maybe rather see what Wilson could do in that role.

Chelsea supposedly have a deal for next summer worth 60M. We'll see how true that is in fairly short order. If there was a done deal with LFC for summer 2019, which is what some of these questionable sources are claiming, I'd assume we'd be hearing things from LFC papers/sources by now.

13. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's too bad, but I understand CP is a big ManU fan...and now he's going to Chel$ki?

I really wanted to like that guy...

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how true it is. Does seem like he's not staying at Dortmund, he should be on the move somewhere at least by summer... maybe earlier.

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has also been outshined by Sancho.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Sancho is quite good.

17. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His price drops with every window he gets closer to the end of his deal. He'll have 1 season left this summer, so I'd doubt he'll go for 60m. 30-40M with 1 year left is more realistic. I think we get him if we want him. Dortmond owe Klopp for helping them get over 100m for Dembele.

At a certain price I expect we'll deal and we do need a backup for Mane on the left, so he fits the profile. Its just whether BVB is putting on a January premium as to when it gets done.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take him for 40 in a second.

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Not sure we'd get in January for that though.

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    how on earth can RB a priority over LB? at RB we have TAA, Gomez and Clyne. at LB we have Robbo and the player who puts hearts in mouths like no other.

(yes yes I know -- Millie can slot in anywhere but he's not a natural full back and as much as he's basically indestructible, you can't and shouldn't build a defence with him in it)

Fussballer repped this.
  21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's.... what I just said. Supposedly they are linked with a CB/RB because of the fact that he has that release clause, and I was saying I wished he was a CB/LB instead.

22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    dcc134 repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I (over)-reacted to your use of "might make more sense". it's blatantly obvious to me ....

EruditeHobo repped this.
  24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was worded poorly.

25. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gross is an interesting player, but I thought we were in for Dembarie (sp?) from Hoffenhiem?

The upcoming windows are going to be interesting. Who goes, who comes in, who gets promoted from the Academy.

If our first 11 is basically the Utd team plus Gomez and Trent, they are all the right age and locked into long contractss. I wouldn't expect any of those players to move for at least another season or 2. Shaq and Hendo are sure to be here next season. Beyond that, I think anyone could be moved. I think it will depend on what incoming players become available.

Rabiot looks to be on the move in January, should we be in for him and a view to next season?

I'm interested to see Brewster or Camacho get a run in the second half of the season. If they are good enough, they could add some good options to the squad.