Winning Eleven 9 for PS2 Online League

Discussion in 'Games' started by the stranger, Feb 12, 2006.

1. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    All who are interested, read the rules and sign up in this thread!

Rules:

Sign Up: For those interested, please post your Online Alias. You must have a BigSoccer screename to sign up. Sign ups will last a few days. I will give a 24 hour warning before they close. We will accept late sign-ups up to the end of Round 2 of the Regular season, or if a player withdraws.

Season Length: To be determined after sign up closes. Going by the other thread, there may be 8-12 people interested. If that is the case, each player will play all others twice. If more or fewer sign up, we may play each other 1 or 3 or 4 times, for a season length between 16 and 24 games.

Playoffs: A fraction of the top teams will qualify. The exact number will be determined after sign up closes, and before the season starts. Each round will be one single elimination game.

Game Settings: Game length will be 15 minutes, no overtime or PK for the regular season. Standard FIFA rules, 3 subs, etc. Playoff games will include Extra Time (No Golden or Silver Goal, however) and Penalties, if necessary. There will be no yellow or red card suspensions.

Schedule: The schedule will be divided into rounds. I will announce the start of each round, where after it will be up to the participants in each match to arrange a time to play. You will have up to 1 week to play the game, but as long as everyone has played their matches, we can move to the next round immediately. After one week, we will move on regardless of any unplayed games. If you know you are going to be away for a while, let me know and we can re-schedule your game(s). We will have time at the end for all makeup games. I will release the entire schedule before the season starts, but I ask that you do not play your games before the Round has started.

Teams: Teams will be randomly assigned from the pool below. You will be assigned your team soon after signing up. I have tried to pick teams that are close to even strength. If anyone has an idea for how to make the random draw "open to the public", then let me know; otherwise you will have to trust me! (And if you feel any of the teams below are too good or too bad, I will remove them if there is a consensus. I am also open to nominations for including additional national teams)

Uruguay, Paraguay, Columbia, Ecuador
    USA, Mexico
    Japan, Korea, Iran, Australia
    Ukraine, Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Turkey, Greece, Russia, Switzerland, Norway, Ireland
    Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Senegal

Score Reporting: For verification, I would like each player to PM the result and list of goalscorers for each game, win lose or draw.

If there is anything I haven't covered, please let me know!

Thread started 2/12/7pm ET. Sign-ups now open!

2. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    BigSoccer Name: the stranger
    Online Name: ..

3. jrod69

jrod69 Member

Feb 19, 2005
    NYC
    bigsoccer name Jrod69
    Online name : Joaquin17

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    How about this: Single table, no playoffs, everyone plays each other twice with each player hosting once.

That's the simplest and best way to do it. Your system is way too convoluted.

5. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    bigsoccer name: ikari
    Online name: ikari

6. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Bigsoccer name: ibreak4coffee
    Online name: ibreak4coffee

7. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    If people don't want playoffs, that's fine with me. Idealy we each play each other twice, but I didn't want to set that in stone, because I'm not sure yet what the league size will be. If the number of games we end up having is not that important, then sure we can play "a home and home schedule". And please, keep up the suggestions!

8. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just throwing this out there, but would it maybe also work to pick one of the licensed leagues and use the teams from that league, say the premiership? Obviously, some people would get lucky, but if we get the right numbers I'd be interested in also playing a club team league. Not suggesting we change the current rules, just throwing this out there.

9. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    If others agree with you, then we could consider that. I would however, prefer to toss the likes of chelsea, arsenal, manu, liverpool in the case of the EPL. I just don't think it would be fair to the people stuck with Wigan or Sunderland.

10. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fair point... especially for Chelsea. Same goes for the Spanish league with Barcelona and Madrid.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Damn! I Should Have my Copy Next Week.... But here we go.

Big Soccer Name: BolivianFuego

Future Online Name: Matador

12. Vinotinto10

Vinotinto10 New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Miami,FL
    BigSoccer Name : Vinotinto10

Online Name: Danny (I Also got ''Vinotinto'' but haven't played with that name yet,let me know if i can use my new one)

AND PLEASE ! Add Venezuela ! I guess i'm the only Venezuelan with WE9 in the US so please !! make my week by Adding my NT to the Teams ! Please ! i'm sure i'll be the only one who's going to play with that team. and if not much to ask,add Mallorca as well! i know that team sucks but i gotta represent like my player Arango,Thanks.

13. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    WE 9 Username: MadvillainMx
    Bigfutbol Username: Machetazo (i'll try to change it to MadvillainMx)

If we can choose our own teams i'd like to get Ukraine.

14. xkobain

xkobain New Member

Sep 21, 2004
    i will sing in tomorrow by the way i like the playoffs.
    username :xkobain
    one ? can we choose league teams ?( Man UTD or Juventus)

15. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Glad a few more have signed up. Considering the teams in the pool are supposed to be relatively even anyway, I will let everyone just choose their own team. From now on, those signing up also post the team you want.

Those who have already signed up, please choose ASAP and I apologize for changing the rules on you. I will also PM you.

I don't think anyone who has already signed up will seriously object to me assigning Venezuala to Vinotinto10 and Ukraine to Machetazo.

EDIT in response to xkobain: I would like to keep it to national teams. If the league is a success, we could certainly have one with club teams (even running concurantly).

16. Vinotinto10

Vinotinto10 New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Miami,FL
    National Team : Venezuela
    let's see how it all goes.depending on how this NT's Tournament goes we'll get to see if a Club league is worth the try ! well I'm IN !
    so This is just in case... Club : Mallorca

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You should really let me organize this. I'm not sure you really know what you're doing. Anyway if we can pick our own teams, I'll take Portugal.

18. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'll be run over, but I'll take the USA.

19. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'll take Sweden

Not to nitpick, but if Portugal is one of the teams, Germany should also be a choice, and I'd like to play with them

20. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    If others agree, I will gladly step aside. But I am not sure which parts of how I have organized things you take issue with. Could you perhaps be a bit more specific? (BTW, I gave ample opportunity for others to step up and run a league, but nobody seemed interested. I also made a post in ganu's thread asking for ideas/opinions)

21. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    BTW I will take Cameroon.

Ikari, respect for taking USA!:)

EDIT: Germany was pretty much the last team I cut, Portugal the last in. If you want Germany, it's ok with me I guess. But please nobody start requesting Brazil, France, etc.

Sweden is available again then.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So wait i can pick any team from the ones selected in your first post?

If so i'll go with portugal.

23. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Portugal has already been selected. Would you mind choosing a different team?

Here are those left:

Uruguay, Paraguay, Columbia, Ecuador
    Mexico
    Japan, Korea, Iran, Australia
    Poland, Sweden, Denmark, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Turkey, Greece, Russia, Switzerland, Norway, Ireland
    Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Senegal

As you can see, plenty of good teams still available! Also keep in mind, you can nominate a different national team not listed here, as long as they are not one of the powerhouse teams.

24. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    why? Isn't there enough powerhouses at national level to choose from?

If not club would be better IMO, there's a lot more variety in clubs and a lot more powerhouses.

25. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'm in by the way

BS name: Visca el Barca!

online name: Peruvian_Culé (or something of that matter. pretty close to it. haven't fully decided yet)

My National Team: Peru

just in case we go to clubs (which has a broader selection to choose from), my club would be Barca or Inter. :cool: