Winning Eleven 6 : USA version

Discussion in 'Games' started by twistedFirestarter, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Dwight Yorke is a Trinidad & Tobago international who currently plays for Blackburn. He and Andy Cole were a great striking duo for Manchester in during the treble season.

I really liked Burchet, Ximenes, Eddington, and Vorlander. They weren't great, but they still managed to contribute to the team. It's nice to make a good run with the ball, look at the name, and see that Miranda did it and not Zidane or Cruyff.

I have a few different bogey teams. Leeds are the only team to beat me this season. I went up 2-0 early. Then, my defenders all signaled offsides on an attack instead of stopping it: goal number one. Riijkaard concedes a (not) penalty: the game is tied. I'm pushing forward to get the win and Kewell gets a lucky steal and shots softly just above Yashin's head. The Russian just watches it go in. 3-2, I lose.

The eastern European team with "Lucky" up front also give me a lot of trouble. Celtic too.

Last night, I had a 9999 fee, 999 salary bid for Shevchenko turned down. I'm not giving up on him yet...

2. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Yep. I felt bad cutting some of them. I should have kept them around just to win the treble with me. ;)

Ah, so everyone has bogey teams. I wonder what causes it. I wonder if it's just the way we play against them or if the computer sets aside one or two. I always had trouble with Palmeiras in the third division, and now it's Real Madrid. It sucked losing to them in that final. I almost came back. It was 3 - 2 and I blew about four quality shots by shooting them all at the goalie. =x

But Yashin letting that go in isn't as bad as my goalie knocking it right to Zidane and then running to midfield like he was scared! I was so pissed.

By the way, I changed my 3 - 5 - 2 around. You all should try this and tell me how it works sometimes.

----Keeper-----
    ----3 defenders----
    -------2 d-mids----
    --------1 center mid----
    -------2 offensive mids-----
    -------2 strikers------

I put the 2 offensive mids a little bit closer together than the strikers, and set the attack mode to 'attack', so everyone past the d-mids attacks constantly.

I used this formation for five games and won every game except the Real Madrid one by at least five goals. It seemed like someone was always in a great position to shoot, and I just had to give them the ball. I'm wondering if it was an aberration, but it's been doing well again for me this season.

3. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

My ideal, must-win lineup is:

...........................Yashin........................
    ...........Nesta.....Stam.......Riijkaard...........
    ........................Davids....................Carlos
    ....................................Maradona............
    Shevchenko.............................................
    .........................Cruyff............................
    ................................Di Stefano...............
    .......................Pele/MVB..........................

Nesta is surprisingly fast; Pele can fit in anywhere in my front 5. Gullit or Garrincha can take the place of anyone who's not feeling good. Stam is fantastic coming up for corners.

Playing with really good players does ruin the game in a way. With an average team, each player is at the very limit of his abilities just moving the ball around the field. All of the players need to work as a unit to crack open defenses.

Everyone on a really good team can do that by himself. There is much less anticipation, less build-up. I don't need to work nearly as hard just to get chances.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Are you sure? My ML is set to prevent the CPU from using retired players, but he's been on the pitch every time I've played against ManU. And I've never seen any of the other retired players in a match (I thought about getting a few, but I didn't need them for Normal)

5. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Like I said, Yorke now plays for Blackburn Rovers. I believe he was traded from Man U in the 2002 off-season.

The "retired players for CPU" refers to Classic players. It's not applicable to Yorke.

6. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    See what Lawmill says. I was wrong kinda. =)

7. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

I won the league/championship double last night. Then, picked up Nesta, Baresi, Beckham, and Shevchenko in the off-season while selling off some of the players I no longer want.

I think I'll play one more season. My main goals will be to go without a tie or loss and allow less than 5 goals for the year. By then, it should be about time to go back to college.

-These games need a transfer list. I have a lot of players that I want to sell for any price, but most of the offers I get are for the guys I'd never sell. My current wages per game are about 600 points; I lose money on a per game basis even if I blow out the other team.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I finally got the lineup I wanted....I think I'm set now, although I haven't gotten to the point of having all the historical players available yet.

---------Kahn
    Ferdinan-Nesta-Thuram
    ------Roy Keane
    Carlos---------Beckham
    --------Veron
    ---Rivaldo-----Ronaldo
    ---------Henry

Thats pretty much unstopable...

9. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Not to burst your bubble, but Stam, Davids, Figo, Zidane, Totti, Shevchenko, and Lucio might be players you'd be interested in.

Why play with the left-footed guys on the right and vice versa? For shooting?

10. pdolan

pdolan New Member

Mar 1, 2000
    NYC
    Thought I'd throw my lineup out there:

---------------Kahn-----------------
    Cafu---Nesta----Cannavaro---Camena
    --------------Vieira------------------
    -------Zidane---------Rivaldo--------
    -Shevchenko---Olisadebe----Eusebio--

On the bench I have:

Yashin
    Thuram
    Cambell
    Maldini
    Silvestre
    Roy Keane
    Socrates
    Best
    Beckham
    Kewell
    Emile Mpenza
    Rebrov
    Pele
    Ronaldo
    Vieri
    Koller

11. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Ah, bumped back up...

Well, I finished my "one more season". I went undefeated and won the treble. You're only allowed to have a 40 player roster, so I have to release someone every time I want a new guy. My per game salary is about 800 right now.

I started a new season, will quit once I draw or lose. I'd still like to pick up Rivaldo, Totti, Ronaldo, and Vieri.