Winning Eleven 6 : USA version

Discussion in 'Games' started by twistedFirestarter, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

I don't think it's hard to buy players on Extreme so much as it's very easy on the other levels. A team at the bottom of D3 should have trouble getting decent players.

Try Rebrov, Babangida, Nakata, Joaquin, and Ndijitap (Geremi), good players all.

With a few seasons, I'm sure I could win ML on Extreme. It is relatively easy to keep the other team from scoring; the big challenge is scoring goals yourself. With a decent strike force, that would not be an issue.

2. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I wasn't impressed with Nakata, but I did obtain Dario Silva somehow for 200 points. Mwuahha.

I'm having awful luck. I've had 3 PK's for me they did not call, my teammates have given away 3 when I didn't even have them selected, I've had 2 goals cleared off the line, I've hit the post 3 times, I've been fouled three times on breakaways by guys catching up, Doni got injured severely, and Ximenes got a yellow injury. I have the worst luck in the world. Bleh.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Ok, I finally got this game. I've read about half this thread, but I really dont have the time to go through it all. I appologize (cause I hate when people do this, but 300+ posts is a lot) but can someone answer some simple questions for me before I spend an entire weekend on this game....I've played about 10 games so far, with US and Argentina....

1) I cant win a 50/50 header for the life of me, my guys instead always try to chest trap the ball. I am using the [ ] button. When I use the X button I sometimes pass it to the side to a teammate. Any suggestions?

2) I'm going to start the ML tonight. A list of suggested free transfers that rock would be nice. I've seen Donovan listed.

3) I'm not much into editing these games, I just play with what they give me, I'm more into the actual game. But are there any clear things I should take the time to edit?

4) To clarify what I read in the book....'Free Training' give no benefit except to get used to the game or your players, correct? And adding attributes to your players is only possible when the leaf thing is next to their name? Do player attributes go up/down over time, and how can I help control that?

Thanks

4. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear you picked this baby up :)

1) Headers are a tricky lot, and sometimes button mashing is the best tactic. I find that when I hold the button down before the header gets there, my player will get in better position (or at least bump the other guy and make the header for him more difficult.) The X button will make a pass, and the [] button is a better clearance header -- with defenders, I use this for about 90% of my headers.

2) All national team players who aren't on a club team are free transfers, as well as any players who are initially on the team you select (for example, if I choose Milan, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Rui Costa etc. all become free transfers.) Once you are fairly decent at the game, don't be afraid to spend big, like the 250-300 range in the lower divisions. If you do well in the Cup, the bonuses will more than pay your wages.

3) I did some changes for the US -- created McBride in place of Kirovski, bumped up the speed for Donovan and Beasley, bumped up the keeper skills for Friedel and Keller, and bumped up the overall skills of Reyna, O'Brien and Pope. Other than that, I gave Mathis his old 'do back.

As far as team editing, the best thing is to win the call names so they'll say "Manchester" instead of "Aragon" everytime. To do this, I think you have to win a mini league with club teams on at least 3 star/normal difficulty. I also went to the trouble of changing all the team names -- a pain, but worth it for the amount you will play this game.

4) Yes, free training has no actual benefit, but it is well worth it to screw around with it for an hour or so before playing the competitive games. The touch in this game has a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it feels like second nature.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Thanks, I'll definitely change the US players, cause I got the snot kicked out of me by GREECE last night.
    Anyone else got any tips for a new guy to the game?

6. hierohead7

hierohead7 New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Los Angeles
    WE6 ML squad

Hey whats up,

I'm new to these boards but I've enjoyed reading the posts, not just on this topic but on many others.

WE6I is such a deep game that FIFA struggles to come close. This is good for us because it pushes both Konami and EA to make better products. I don't think I've played a game that has rekindled my love for soccer the way WE6I has. If you can play with a friend every match will be full of tension and every move will make a difference. I have never celebrated goals for FIFA the way I do for WE6. When you find a sweet spot in FIFA you exploit it all day and score 100mph goals at will. It takes all the emotion out of the game....

The master league is very entertaining, my team is Man U

On my team I have:

Gk: Van Der Sar, Barthez
    DF: Rijkaard,Baresi,Cannavaro,Marquez, Silvestre
    MF: Dunga,Beckham,Scholes, Stoichkov,Djorkaeff,Keane
    FW: Van Nistelrooy,Roberto Baggio, Pelé,Larsson,Jairzinho

and a few others that i forget

I play a lot of guys out of position, I'm a bit offensive minded
    I guess i'm a bit cheap,my brother says I should sign current players and not a bunch of legends..

cant wait till we7 comes out!! Hopefully MLS and Mexican clubs are included!!

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, even if the big clubs don't recognize American talent in real life, they do on WE6... I just played back to back matches against Real Madrid and Parma, and Real started Hejduk, while Parma started Earnie Stewart! I thought that was kinda cool.

I'm in season 7, on Normal, trying to win the treble (this is my last season on Normal. If I don't win it this time, I'm moving up to Hard anyhow)

Athens United FC (custom team and flag)
    Record so far:

Season 1:
    5-5-4, 4th place, 3rd Division
    Tiny Cup first round (Villa)

Season 2:
    10-2-2, Won 3rd Division
    Tiny Cup Champions

Season 3:
    24-3-3, Won 2nd Division
    Masters Cup 2nd round (Newcastle)

Season 4:
    18-11-1, Won 1st Division
    Masters Cup runner-up (Galatasaray)
    ML Championships Champion

Season 5:
    21-9-0, Won 1st Division undefeated
    Masters Cup Champion
    ML Championships 1st round (Real Madrid)

Season 6:
    25-3-2, Won 1st Division
    Masters Cup runner-up (AC Milan)
    ML championships 1st round (Bayern Munich)

Season 7:
    currently 22-6-0, won 1st division in Fixture 23
    Masters Cup Champion

Current roster:

Van Der Sar
    Taglialatela

Lizarazu
    Nesta
    Cannavaro
    Lucio
    Maldini
    Sorin

Davids
    Vieira
    Baronio
    Suarez

Roberto Carlos
    Nedved
    Beckham
    Figo
    Morfeo

Ronaldo
    Olisadebe
    Diouf
    Henry

8. ezio

ezio New Member

Mar 16, 1999
    New Jersey
    Re: Re: Winning Eleven 6 : USA version

Other teams will make offers but usually not until you are in D2 although I did get one offer in my 3rd season in D3 I think.

Ezio

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm going into my fourth season tonight. I won each division each year, and only lost the tournament while I was in D2. I won the "treble" my first year in D1.
    My roster:
    Kahn
    Bartez

Ferdinand
    Silvestre
    Nesta
    Ulises
    Neville
    Suarez

Ballack
    Roy Keane
    Tolfing
    Celini (only original member left)

Beckham
    Roberto Carlos
    Veron
    Doni
    Fortune
    Babangida
    Scholes
    Beasley

Olisedebe
    Rivaldo
    Rebrov
    Ole Gunner Solskjear (sp?)
    Donovan

I'm ripping apart my preseason games....should be another easy season, then I'm uping the difficulty

10. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    How do you people score on 40 yard free kicks? I've tried so many times and the most I've done was make the goalie make a diving save. Most of the time the goalie just catches it like it's nothing. I've tried shooting hard straight at the corner and making it dip down, but that doesn't work. Bending it doesn't get it past the goalie from that far out, either.

I've tried it using characters with 99 everything, as well as many of the best FK takers in the game.

I just beat Spain 7 - 1 on 5 stars in the WC with the U.S. I didn't know it was possible to put that many in on 5 star, much less on a good team like Spain.

11. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Has anyone here beaten Extreme mode in the ML? It's so damn hard. I still have not gotten out of the third division. When you play it's like the fates have aligned against you.

At least 1/2 of my new signings always come up injured, and I give up about 5 penalties a season on fouls from guys I am not even controlling. Bleh.

12. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

I'm getting back into this:

I started a game on extreme...

The first season, the only player I managed to buy was Agahowa: good, but not enough and I finished in the upper half.

I bought quite a few players the second season (Babangida, Pavon, Rebrov, Oscar Cordoba, Makelele, Pope, Denilson, West, Wome) and won D3 very easily. I was undefeated until the penultimate match. Rebrov is a fantastic fk taker and scored quite a few. Unfortunately, I met up with Juventus in the Cup 1/4finals and lost to them in the waning minutes of overtime.

I bought a few more players (Lawal, Donovan, Olisadebe, Mpenza, Lucio, Mokoena or something, Jarni) and started out my D2 season with ten straight wins. Olisadebe and Mpenza are both absolute bargains. My development GK Goya became an excellent player (99s in 5 or 6 categories) who kept me in a lot of games, and I won the Cup and won the league by about 25 points.

Goya
    Mokoena West Lucio Wome
    Makelele
    Babangida Denilson
    Rebrov
    Mpenza Olisadebe

This past off-season, I was finally able to get some of the classic players. I sold Jarni and bought most of the good classic, as well as Davids to firm up my midfield. My team is now very close to the dream team I had built up on hard level; I can absolutely demolish any opponent.

D1 has been very easy so far and I should be able to go the whole season without a tie.

Extreme just feels normal to me now. It's disappointing that the only way to keep myself challenged is to play very unfair matchups. I'd like to have tougher AI opponents.

FYI, I don't use the analog sticks, never use the R2 run, and very, very rarely do the triangle through pass.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just began my first campaign on Hard level, after finally getting the elusive treble on Normal. I changed my team (retired Athens United and am now playing as SSC Napoli). Right now, halfway thru the D3 season, I'm 2-2-3. At least I won't run out of $$ this season. Managed to obtain Olisadebe, Morfeo, Taglialatela, Suarez and Sorin. I may put myself (via a base copy of Kahn, with the necessary improvements in appearance) in at GK.

14. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I'm in the second division on extreme now. It took me 3 seasons to get promoted. The first season I lost to Palmeiras in the very last game, and that put me in third place. No promotion. The second season I was in first place, Palmeiras in second. I just had to tie Palmeiras to be promoted in the final playoff game, but I lost 1 - 0. I hit the post three times. I was so pissed.

I bought Rebrov, Pope, Bocanegra, myself, Babandiga (the really fast Nigerian winger, however you spell it), Mpenza, Ryan Giggs, Reyna, a created goalie, two created characters named ************ER!!!! and ************ER!~, Daitti, and two other bench players. I like to counterattack.

Oh, and I made a 45 yard free kick finally. Right in the top corner, off the crossbar and popped just inside the line. Those are ************ing hard.

15. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoa

whoa.

i've been playing this game for a while now (3rd time thru 1st division on Hard) and I just saw the coolest thing. i'm in the ML Championship with my Celtic team against Navarra (AKA Madrid). I fouled a guy about 30 meters out and along came Larcos (AKA Roberto Carlos) for the kick.

Except he was about 10m from the ball (just like real life) and I'm thinking, is this a glitch? when he suddenly bursts forward (from a side view) and uncorks this thunderous left footer. just like real life.

and of course he missed. just like real life.

16. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

You should avoid buying players who require a transfer fee until it's absolutely necessary. In between free transfers (including the guys on your team, like RVN for ManU) the classic players, you can build a very good team. Until you're selling players, the transfer fees to buy players are generally out of your league.

Carlos is absolutely worthless on freekicks, never hits them right for me. I usually use Platini, Cruyff, Rebrov, or Beckham. I'd say I score maybe 20% when I'm in range, and have another maybe 30% parried over the back line.

To reiterate, Olisadebe and Mpenza are absolutely fantastic. Buy just the two of them and you're well on your way to D1.

17. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I use Diouf over Rebrov. I've never though Rebrov was that good at them. I use Ryan Giggs for the left hand side.

I'm not using classic players this time around. It's much more challening. The best two D-mid's I've got to come to my team are Reyna and Butt, and I still have Vorlander backing them up. I'm leading D2 by three to five points this way.

[/QUOTE]To reiterate, Olisadebe and Mpenza are absolutely fantastic. Buy just the two of them and you're well on your way to D1. [/QUOTE]

I can NOT get Olisadebe to come to my team. He just won't. Neither will Roy Keane. No matter how much money I offer, they just won't come.

I use Mpenza, Rebrov, and Diouf as forwards, with Diouf taking over when Mpenza or Rebrov need a rest. Diouf still leads them in scoring, though. Hah.

My team looks like this:

----Friedel----
    -Boca-Pope-************ER!!!
    --Reyna---Butt----
    -Babandiga---Myself----Ryan Giggs
    -----Mpenza---Rebrov

The only problem is I can't get a good striker to come to my team, so with Diouf and Espinas as my only two decent backup offensive players my offense is frequently tired. I can't even buy Beasley with adjusted stats. I didn't even make him too good.

18. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Classic players would not sign for me, at any price, until D1. Maybe my style of play is different than yours, but classic players just aren't that much better for me. Wome, Olisadebe, and Mpenza are still getting a lot of time.

My ideal line-up will have Davids, Stam, Nesta, Carlos, Shevchenko, and perhaps Thuram or Beckham in it. It seems like the players with poorer dribbling skills are sometimes actually better at dribbling around people; don't know why.

For free kicks, I think a lot of it is just getting used to one person. Rebrov doesn't have the best stats, but I became accustomed to his style and got to be very consistent.

Lawal of Nigeria is a very good free d-mid and can also play on the left. What club are you? They might have a good d-mid also.

Agahowa, also Nigeria, is good with both feet and can play quite a few different attacking positions. He played forward quite often for me.

Perhaps try Oscar Cordoba (Colombia) in goal? You can maintain the American representation by getting Donovan.

19. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I'm Manchester United (I just like their uniforms in this game), which is why it's so weird Roy Keane won't sign with me.

I adjust my style of play. I put a heavy emphasis on the speed of Mpenza, Bandiga, Rebrov, Giggs, and myself (I made myself a super character heh) or I can do heavy possession. It just depends on what mood I'm in, but I find I can put in a lot more goals if I use a heavy passing game and wait for an opening.

20. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

I'm Madrid; I couldn't get Raul or Zidane until I got into D1, when they came right away. But geez, get Beckham, RVN, and Silvestre at the very least.

Agahowa and Wome are both really good, Lawal too.

Remember that you'll be able to sell most of your guys for a big profit in a few seasons. I'm currently unloading all of the guys I got for free, and getting a big return on them.

An easy way to score lots of goals is to take your forward and go back and forth across the top of the box, parallel to the goal line. Wait until you have the defenders on you going the wrong way and then turn into the box so that you're facing the goal or 45 degrees away and shoot with your good foot (Rebrov would want to turn in to left so that the shot is coming off his right). I try to score pretty goals now, but the back and forth is a very effective method no matter how good your guys are.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was playing aganst Hamburg this afternoon (second half of the season), and I saw something I'm almost positive has never been present in any other match I've played on WE6: two large areas of the pitch had been "resodded". They were rectangular, about 200 sq. meters each, and a noticably darker shade of green than the rest. I know how in some older versions of FIFA the pitch would change color when you panned or zoomed in Instant Replay, but these areas were always there, visible even on corner and free kicks in those locations. Anyone else seen any groundskeeping repairs in their matches?

22. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I've never noticed that.

Wtf is up with Real Madrid in this game? I played them in the final of the ML Division Championships on Extreme, and I lost badly. Not only did I hit the post twice on FK's, which annoyed me, everyone of my players had blue arrows and once again, my star player got injured.

I'm in the next season and I get Real Madrid for fixture 3. My center back gets a back pass and my goalie runs straight out towards midfield and since the ball is in his path he knocks it far enough out of my defender's reach that Zidane gets it, but my goalie just kept running straight out towards the halfway line without even looking at the ball! So Zidane is setting there at the penalty spot with a ball, the goalie 15 yards out and still running, and my defender five yards away.

They're the only team I can't beat everytime. No matter what I do they always find a way to score.

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use Celtic; I renamed them Mighty Celtic just for kicks. Currently in fourth season in Divison 1 on Hard. I want go to Extreme but I can't bear to part with my team just yet, and I need to keep playing with this team so I can boost their teamwork.

And I have a fondness for retired players. My co-workers and I play quite a bit; they're not big soccer fans (or Big Soccer fans, if you will) so they stock their players with created behemoths that they give names from Star Wars and Lord of the Rings (gotta love tech jobs). My use of retired players is a bit of a trade off.

Freidel (Yashin for super important games, sorry)
    Joseph Yobo - Rjinkaard - Nesta - Staam
    Beckenbauer
    Zico Maradona
    Pele
    Larsson (natch) Henry

for some reason Yobo is always getting offers. I got one offer once for Pele, they offered me over 10,000 points. i call that lowballing.

i do that 'troll around the edge of the box' trick too. my new favorite thing is to hoof it upfield with one of my midfielders, line up with a forward, and through pass (triangle) straight at them. if the forwards are positioned right, they'll fight with the defender to the ball and have a split second to shoot. if you have time to get a good shot, by all means take it but just for added luck, try holding R1 when you shoot to do the mini-chip shot.

this game is seriously addicting.

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    teams that always find a way to score against me and make the game edgy: Newcastle, because Shearer is an animal; Boca Juniors, Riquelme always nails free kicks; Milan, ditto Rui Costa. And Machester, they have this forward named Yawke who eats my D for lunch and my GK for dessert, I can't for the life of me think who that might be.

anyone else can't bear to part with one of your original XI? i won't ditch Eddington, the guy is like our good luck charm. he seems to get into the game every six games or so and does OK.

25. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Yeah, Shearer is a beast. I faced England in the final in the WC with the U.S. once. I was up 3 - 0 with 30 minutes left when he was subbed in, and he scored four on his own. He was making volleys from outside the box.

Yawke is Dwight Yorke, a retired player. I don't let the computer use them, even though I do. ;)

I kept Vorlander for a long ass time. He was a decent player at his position. I think I finally ditched him when I went to D1.