Windows 8

Discussion in 'Technology' started by nsa, Dec 17, 2012.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Windows Hate.

I am trying to come to grips with Win8 on a notebook computer without touch screen. Has anybody found a good practical tutorial to get me through this paradigm shift?

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't there a "classic view" option? By all accounts, I hear that Windows 8 is great for a touchscreen system, such as a phone or tablet, but it leaves a LOT to be desired on a traditional computer.

I say this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but maybe Windows 8 will be like Windows Vista in the sense of allowing a lot of users to jump over it.

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to the first statement. Not mouse-friendly at all. (This from a person who knew every windows keyboard shortcut before the mouse was required.) ;)

As for the latter, I'm ready to jump over to Ubuntu at this point. :)

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been several years since I first heard the "getting rid of the start button" rumors... I don't think anyone could have guessed something that looks like AOL.

5. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some tips and tricks here. Primarily, I work in the desktop and leave the Metro UI alone when I'm in W8. Once you get accustomed to the new surroundings and shortcuts, it's functional.

Ubuntu is not a bad choice either, especially if you are willing to dual boot with W8 and get the best of both worlds. There are other good Linux options, too, like Mint and my distro of choice - PCLinuxOS.

nsa repped this.
  6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  7. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Well, are you familiar of the UEFI Secure Boot feature that was an added hardware requirement on Win8? It's highly criticized by free-and-open-source software advocates like me.

"Microsoft was accused by critics and free software/open source advocates (including the Free Software Foundation) of trying to use the secure boot functionality of UEFI to hinder or outright prevent the installation of alternative operating systems such as Linux, by requiring that new computers certified to run its Windows 8 operating system ship with secure boot enabled using a Microsoft private key." -Wikipedia

So you have to think it over first if you are to get a Linux distro work on a Win8 system.

8. old timer45

old timer45 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I'm not fond of windows 8, I'll stick with XP pro until something comes out thats better