Wilmington Hammerheads 2011

Discussion in 'Wilmington Hammerheads' started by teucer, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confirmed it tonight...the Hammerheads will play a pre-season game at the Railhawks -- Saturday April 2. 7:00 start.

2. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info! I'm excited to see what they can do when they get to Legion Stadium.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You going to make it down for the CCC? Erik and a couple others are coming the second Saturday. would be nice to meet you in person.

And did anyone start a wilmington forum request (hint hint) figured it should be a Hammerhead that does it....

4. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping to go on the 12th, but I've been scheduled to work and the odds are running about fifty-fifty I can't get out of it.... I may have a chance to make the Wednesday night game though-- I'll know sometime this weekend.

Here is the forum request.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22912390#post22912390

A bit over the top, but if you can't do that here on Big Soccer, well...

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    added my name to the forum request. let me know if your going to make it down

6. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric has posted on the PCF Facebook page that it looks like eight Firm members are heading down to Blackbaud and since I have I just bought two tickets in E-7 and have the day off, I will be number nine... See you there.

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to hear. We'll be tailgating from about 2:30 near the east stand entrance hope you can come by for a bit. During the matches Ill be in Section E10 feel free to move on over we are pretty much GA in the E10 and E09 sections.

8. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hammers put up four goals in their first game since 2009. Maybe only a pre-season friendly, but at least the Hammerheads are back on the field.

http://hammers.blogs.starnewsonline.com/10537/first-friendly-good-start/

...and here is a little info on Alex Grendi, the trialist who scored one of the goals.

"Grendi was drafted in the third round (45th overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by the Columbus Crew. He made his professional debut on 21 March 2009, in Crew's first game of the 2009 MLS season against Houston Dynamo,...and subsequently played three MLS games before being cut on March 23, 2010."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Grendi

and an interview from 2009

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=2909

9. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Good stuff. Good luck in Buies Creek against the Fighting Camels!

10. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder... the Hammerheads are in Myrtle Beach (well, technically Conway) this weekend, playing at Coastal Carolina on Sunday March 20th. Kick-off is at 2:00.

12. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 20/ Hammerheads 1:0 Coastal Carolina

Another shut-out. Duckworth and Polak (who I'm not sure has signed...) split time in goal and both did well. Alex Grendi gets the goal-- his second this pre-season. Good performances all around.

All in all, things look like they're coming together.

13. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 22/ Hammerheads 4:1 UNC-Pembroke

http://hammers.blogs.starnewsonline.com/

Four goals, one each to Chris Banks (2 for him this pre-season), Jyler Noviello and trialists Jordan Seabrook and Tanner Wolfe. UNC-P's goal was the first given up by the Hammerheads this year.

Here's some info on Seabrook:

"Seabrook took part in the 2009 adidas MLS Player Combine, and was selected the fourth round (51st overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Colorado Rapids, but was ultimately not offered a developmental contract by the club.Instead, he signed with Crystal Palace Baltimore in the USL Second Division"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Seabrook

Wolfe , an ex- Stetson University Hatter and Bradenton Academic. was a teammate of Jata's with the Carolina Dynamo.

14. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 26 / Hammerheads 4:1 Raleigh CASL Elite Another four goal game with Noviello, Budnyy, Paul Nicholson and Wingate product (and ex-Reading United player) Luke Mulholland scoring. In the five games so far, the Hammers have scored 16 goals and given up only 2. Next game is at UNC-W on March 30 followed by the Carolina Railhawks at WakeMed on April 2.

15. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is going to be a lot of fun . The game is against a Hurricane FC, a local club team with a lot of ex-Hammerheads, plus we get a look at the new turf, pick up our season tickets and enjoy a Sunday afternoon at Legion.

Now that the shirt sponsor has been secured, I'm hoping the new replica shirts will be available for sale at the open house. In addition to the stripes, the rumor is the other jersey this year will be black instead of the traditional white.

19. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 30 / UNC-Wilmington 1 - 3 Hammerheads

Took me a while...There were two different reports with differing goal tallies. Jyler Noviello scored two (the other coming on a UNC-W own goal.)

April 2 / Carolina RailHawks 1 - 0 Hammerheads

Sounds like a real heartbreaker. Coach Irving sounded optimistic though, saying the team “...showed a good account of ourselves.”

Original story here...

http://hammers.blogs.starnewsonline...rop-1-nil-decision-saturday-to-the-railhawks/

20. Electrifying

Electrifying Red Card

Nov 27, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Anyone have an idea of what the starting lineup looked like?

And outplayed them? Sounds like a bright season ahead for Wilmington.

21. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bhj03c

bhj03c New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Florida
    I'm really interested to see what the starting lineup is going to look like. Any idea on what formation Coach Irving is going to implement? I've heard 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 and 4-3-3.

Anybody attending any of these preseason games or practices. I'd like to see some videos of the team and their preseason matches/practices. Coverage is slacking a ll bit!

23. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll have a good idea about the starters after the Hurricanes FC game this Sunday. These recent signings seem to point to Coach Irving wrapping up everything.

As for video, I found this recently...

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/top_stories/635137/tryouts-held-for-hammerheads-soccer-team

Most of the video I've seen this year has been shot by Tom Grady for the Hammerheads Blog , and most of it is of inter-squad scrimmages. I have seen people shooting video but have no idea what they did with it.

As for formations, I think they were playing a 4-4-2 at Coastal Carolina (at least in the first half.)

24. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the start of the regular season moved the thread out of the Expansion folder.