William Paul Yarbrough the Next USA Goalkeeper

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Herrera?

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you aren't joking...

Miguel Herrera, former coach at América.
    [​IMG]

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, I doubt that is him as Capitan America (USA America, not Club America) but it would be funny,

I do give you 2 guesses on what country knocked us off the top spot as the fattest country [large country].

Marko72 repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Who else on the teams is built like that? And the "América" pun fits...

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well no single player in the picture is build like the cartoon makes them out to be. plus not all the people are players, I think only the last 2 from each section.

I think the joke is of making Capitan America a "rudo" who play the bad guys in Mexican wrestling, and they tend to be on the fat side.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Mexico #1?

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see this was a pop quiz.

Marko72 and ceezmad repped this.
  7. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol all this talk about how US is where yarbro supports 100% and he would not take a call to Mex if it ever came(not that it would), is BS.

Here he is back in 2013 stating clearly that his heart is with Mexico, if US and Mex play he roots for Mexico. If his parents ask him who hes rooting for, he says Mexico.
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/m...soy-100-por-ciento-mexicano-william-yarbrough

now he switched because of a better chance. and says he wouldnt go to Mexico now that he chose US. Atleast hes not a flip flopper and sticks with his guns. you never know though.

also he couldnt speak English. thats messed up and he is probably having some serious mixed feelings cuz of that.

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That is quite strange!! Why isn't he allowed to respond to questions in castellano?? PR? Corona, castillo and others have all answered press en castellano. Weird...

As for him being two faced, in the interview above through MLS media, he said he would give his 100percent to whichever side he's representing, and right now it's USA. Said USA was the first to give him his chance and since that was the case, he's going to go 100 for them.

As for the article above, I mean--I totally agree with him. He was born and lived his whole life in Mexico. All he knows about USA is through his family/parents. That's nothing. He feels more mexican than American outside of his appearence.

ButI am sure just like most kids with immigrant parents, he still feels some ties to the homeland, and that's probably why he was open to a call up to USA since they were th first ones to step up to the plate.

What I notice is he's treaded lightly in the past even in that interview, never saying "I won't ever play for USA" because he know deep down he very well may if he got a call up from USA before MX.

Do I see where yo're coming from? Yea. But in all honesty, he's saying the truth. He feels Mexican but has ties to USA through his parents so he went that route first because they called him first. I can't blame him. They've shown him more faith than the Mexican NT right now.

I am sure he could easily leave the program if Mexico comes a calling and Herrera has a good talk with him. Would the MX fans take him back though?

9. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    William seems likes a cool dude and I'm sure he will represent the US well.

The notion that there was a choice to make is false though. The choice was made for him.

Edgar Castillo had a choice. William and Ventura didn't and the way the narrative is being spun in slightly pathetic.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a choice, they could wait to see if they got better and opportunity opened up, that may mean never getting a call up.

11. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    If I applied for the same position at two different companies and one of them never called for an interview and the other one offered me a full time position with benefits then there really isn't a choice to be made. When I get home and I explain it to my girlfriend/family, I won't go into detail about the disappointment of not even being contacted by the other company. I'll rave about the fact that this other company offered me a tremendous opportunity but in reality, I wasn't even afforded the benefit of making a choice. It was made for me.

Klinsmann did well to address this point yesterday during his press conference.

It's called FOOTBALL and ttrevett repped this.
  12. B2TO

B2TO Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Dallas / Monterrey
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Interesting how this is becoming a trend, Mexican born playing for the USMNT, American born playing for the MNT...
    Will there be a North American (National/Continental) Team by 2050? o_O:thumbsdown:

My best wishes to William though! My favorite USMNT player by far. (maybe because he's Mexican born and raise?)

Trivia: Is William Yarbrough elegible to play for Chivas de Guadalajara with their Mexican born only policy? :D

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but you don't have to take the job and wait for the other company to call, is not like you are unemployed.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as long as he plays for the USA I imagine.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the way US immigration laws work for Mexican citizens (and to an extent, FIFA rules), it's very rare for a Mexican-born player to be eligible for the USMNT. Yarbrough is probably the first in a long time.

16. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Sure......but I gotta pay bills and the hummus is not going to magically walk itself into my fridge.

Regardless, I think it's safe to say the "foreign-born" player issue is much more polarizing in Mexico. Not necessarily with these dual nationals but in general.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costly was also born in Mexico right?

So William is not the first Mexican born player to play for a different NT.

There probably have been more.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Edgar was out of the Mexico picture, right? He switched when it was clear he didn't have a future with them.

William and Ventura could have waited. In football, however, you often have to strike while the iron is hot. You could break your leg a year from now and never have had the opportunity to play at a Gold Cup or a high profile game like this Mexico-US one.

I think most players know where they stand. Herrera has made it clear where they stand at the moment. These guys are pretty young, though. It's tough to say that a player such as Alvarado will definitely never be good enough to earn an opportunity with Mexico.

19. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    thats misleading for a trend. The trend is that whoever shows best quality ends up with Mexico, 2nd best with US.

Its really a show of what the depth of each team really is.

and we already discussed the Chivas deal. I would say NO way yarbo ends up at chivas

20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I think Edgar was still in the picture for Mexico. Sven liked him a lot and Edgar was one of the few stand outs from Mexico's disastrous campaign to qualify for the 2008 Olympics.

One thing that has to be said is that Edgar always talked about wanting to play for Mexico but how hurt he was because the USSF never gave him a chance. The moment Bob expressed interest, Edgar switched.

Unfortunately, he plateaued and never seemed to hit the ceiling people thought he had.

21. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No he wasn't.

He moved to Mexico as a teenager though and started his career there.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly, there's Martin Vasquez. I'd be surprised if there aren't more Mexican-born players on the US and other teams during the more free-flowing eligibility era. Now, it'll be rare on the US squad because a Mexican born player without a US born parent/grandparent has to go through the "5 consecutive years in the US after turning 18" rule (plus the US citizenship requirements). Even getting a Green Card is stacked against Mexican immigrants because of the long wait list by country.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So why didn't you guys get Gonzalez, Rubin, Gil, Serna, Bocanegra, etc?

Most players go with whoever will call them up first and recruit them the best. If both call them up and recruit them, they'll probably go with whichever team they preferred, but I don't think there's evidence to support your opinion that Mexico gets all the best players.

24. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol

Gonzalez, Rubin, Gil, Serna, would all be riding pine for Mexico. Even old man Rafa Marquez would start before Omar, not to mention, Maza, Diego Reyes, etc.

Only guy who was ever semi considered was homie, but he would now also be riding pine or on some E or F team.

Like i said and may of you have agreed over the years. Its the depth difference.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of those guys only play for our youth teams. (Well, Rubin plays in European friendlies, but I'll be very surprised if he's more than a bit player for us in the Gold Cup.)

Gonzalez is a really good player. Props to Mexico if they have 2 (or 3, depending on formation) better central defenders. But Marquez??? Well, if he'd start over Gonzo, that's an idiosyncratic player selection by your coach, not based on current talent and ability.

ussoccer97531 repped this.