William F. Buckley Jr. dies at 82

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Matt in the Hat, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/ap_on_re_us/obit_buckley_6;_ylt=Am9Y0lD3t3ZQTh2hjnz8ePgE1vAI

2. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    That's really a shame. I hold him up as a paragon of respectful discourse and a willingness to engage intellectually with persons who old different opinions. Jonah Goldberg (in spite of his idiotic and apparently tedious new book) and Franklin Foer (in spite of his poor judgment) have continued that approach in their periodic video discussions on The New Republic's web site. Sadly, that model of civil discourse has largely been supplanted by screaming fights and talking points.

His articles about drug legalization were probably the best I ever read on that subject.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hasn't been a great couple of years for conservatives, losing Reagan, Harry Browne, Milton Friedman and now Buckley.

So who is the remaining conservative intelectual muscle? Or the remaining liberal muscle for that matter?

4. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000

[​IMG]..

5. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that he once threatened to punch Gore Vidal "in the God damned nose" on national t.v.

But generally I agree with you. In law school, reading National Review gave me the same thrill that Playboy would have given a teenager in an all boys Catholic school.

(Well, not really)

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Well, nobody's perfect, and Vidal did seem to provoke similar reactions from other people, like Norman Mailer.

As far as who is carrying the mantle of conservative intellectualism . . . Francis Fukyama, perhaps? I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I raised this issue almost 2 years ago in a discussion about Ann Coulter:

I guess I need to devote my life now full time to conservative intellectualism (no not).

As for Vidal, I find him annoying too. Mostly, I think he is a crypto-totalitarian.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think there really are any polymaths like Buckley or Vidal anymore. Everyone has their two or three hot-button issues or peddles outrage.

One of the great under-appreciated strengths about the intellectual portion of the conservative movement was how people like Buckley and Will kept the debate about principals alive. If you had aspirations toward intellectual leadership in the conservative movement, you had to be able to engage on a number of issues.

The liberals, on the other hand, allowed thinkers to remain in silos, especially after Moynahan passed from the scene and didn't really develop polymaths.

In my opinion, the best polymath, who is capable of engaging on a large number of disparate issues and tieing them together through basic principal is Gregg Easterbrook when he write Tuesday Morning Quarterback. I don't agree with a lot of his opinions, but he's able to write on the same plane as Buckley, but without the same personality.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I must have been totally out of it when I wrote the above post last night. I forgot to mention Mark Steyn.

10. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Many of those people mentioned have been longtime contributors to The American Spectator, R Emmett Tyrrell's magazine. Tyrrell is the only other one comparable to Buckley, not quite as towering but still one of my favorites.

RIP WFB. Up From Liberalism is still a good read.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8
    Gore Vidal: "As far as I'm concerned, the only sort of pro-crypto-Nazi I can think of is yourself."
    William F. Buckley: "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi, or I'll sock you in your god damn face and you'll stay plastered."
    ultimately Buckley himself admitted he was deeply embarrassed about losing his composure
    http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2008/02/28/the-collected-controversies-of-william-f-buckley/