Will you watch the Women's World Cup?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HomietheClown, May 30, 2019.

?

As a Men's team fan will you watch the Women's World Cup?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2019.
  1. Yes, all of it. Even all the blowouts and boring matches.

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. Yes, but only the USA and maybe a handful of other top teams.

41 vote(s)
    47.7%
  3. No, I am focused on the U20, Gold Cup , Copa America, MLS, etc.

17 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. No, the whole Women's team equality lawsuit thing has me a bit turned off.

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. The Women are playing a World Cup?

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wife.

Burr repped this.
  2. Brett Strang

Brett Strang New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
  3. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group stage is unwatchable for the most part. Knockouts start to get good around the quarters. It never reaches the level of the Champions League Semi's but its solid enough to watch passingly. I wont go out of my way to not watch them but I wont make it a priority or DVR it either.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched snatches here and there. I do like the postgame highlights show (and let me echo the Abdo praise above: she's very good at this) and sometimes I see some good soccer. One of Cameroon's goals yesterday was a slick bit of balling from the scorer.

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    1)I think I’d enjoy watching an over 40 beer league on Stade Océane. Not a bad seat in the place.
    2)as someone who does not really follow the women’s team, and couldn’t name more than a couple of players on the team walking in to the stadium....I had a really really good time.

That was the first US soccer game, of any gender, that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed in a really long time.

And Heath can flat out ball.

Worth every penny.

Mr Martin, Burr and bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Changing gears a bit but still trying to stay on topic...
    ...for those of you who are watching will you continue to watch IF the USA loses in the knockouts before the Final?

I am curious.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably will. If the USA loses to France, for example, I'd like to see if Les Blues Femmes* can go all the way. I've enjoyed their play when I see them for several years now.

*I have no idea if that's correct French nor if anybody calls the team anything like that.

Burr repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course I will watch. Just like I will watch all the Gold Cup matches even thought the US men are horrible. Most of the rest of CONCACAF is even more horrible but that will not stop me watching either.

Soccer is fun to watch regardless of the sex or competence of the participants and this is the World Cup and every match is somewhere between good and great.

Dyvel repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really disengaged from DC United right now and MLS in general, so I'm glad there's a lot of international soccer to fill the gap.

10. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    Always the drama queen.

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll watch the final at least but especially if it's an interesting story like the hosts or some other first time team that's playing well.

12. OfficeSpace

OfficeSpace Red Card

United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    They have knockout round games that are selling 12,000 tickets. The average attendance so far for the tournament is around 18,500.

This tournament is going to get crushed at the gate by the Copa America and Gold Cup and yet all we hear about is the sexism involved in the pay and support for the women's game.

They don't have fans.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Attached Files:

14. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any thoughts about revenues, and why WWC prizes 10 or more times smaller than WC?

Opening match - 13-49 Euros
    Top-match (whatever it is) - 9-37
    France (the host) matches - 9-45
    Octos - 13-49
    Quarters - 15-57
    Semis - 17-66
    Final - 23-84

That's ********ing cheaper than MLS tickets, and even for those prices they can't sell out the games.

15. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hosts (France) drew mighty crowd of 24K spectators for their octofinal against Brazil. Other octos - 12-20K with NOR-AUS the lowest.

16. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could have drawn more than 24,000 for the France-Brazil game if the stadium held more than 24,000.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium capacity is 25K. In any case I have a feeling match would not hit that mark even in 45k stadium.

18. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're saying that there were empty seats. My guess is that they were filled by reporters and FIFA suits.

Wikipedia says that the capacity of Stade Oceane is 25,181, but the FIFA website says that Stade Oceane is "set to hold 24,000 spectators during the FIFA Women's World Cup."

You don't have to wonder whether France can draw 25,000 in a 45,000 stadium, at least not for very long. We will all find out the answer on Friday, when France plays at the Parc des Princes in Paris, which normally holds 47,929 but is listed for the Women's World Cup at 45,600.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. Won't upset my life, but if schedules align I'll watch most of the games after the knock-out rd. I like watching France. England is always fiesty and slightly annoyed. Japan can entertain at times. I've been to at least some of all the US-based WWC so it's fun to keep up with the rivalries.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Stubhub is showing a wide range, from 20 Euro up to 60 Euro for N'land/Japan to 300 Euro up to 1600 Euro for the Parc des Prince QF game on the 28th.

Final starts at 450 Euro up to 2400 Euro (of course, with all these tix on Stubhub, that's only the price if someone pays it.)

21. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yep. Originally I planned to just focus on the U.S. but I've enjoyed the tournament as a whole.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Les Bleuets sounds cute... "The cornflowers... (or blueberries if you're in Canada)" Not sure if they'd appreciate it!

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm the same. If I can find a match from anywhere in the world to put on the telly, I will.

Watched a bit of the Chinese Super league a few weeks back. Funny how many former Chelsea players were on one team.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The US/Spain v. France QF draw is a shame. One of the bigger draws will not make the semis.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Spain is reminding me of Uruguay men’s team—unafraid to beat the living crap out of the other team

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.