Will we have a crowd advantage in Brazil?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Jazzy Altidore, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's never get over anything and keep whining until the day we kick it.

2. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You're right, whining over some song getting booed, and not getting over it, is poor form.

3. esc0

esc0 Member

May 29, 2012
    Idaho
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the US will get support from Brazilians for being the underdogs especially if we go out there to win.

4. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    I care very little whether or not people boo the United States national anthem and why they choose to do so, but at the same time, I would be really surprised if most of the booers don't have grievances that date to some time after the 1840's.

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The way I feel about it is that if you don't speak a native American dialect, or you have legit proof of having native American blood, you should leave people alone in States like Texas and California, most Mexicans feel that's their land, they have very strong reasons to believe that.

Something interesting is that I visited some of the Navajo resrevations once, they were selling their craft, some of the salesmen told me they were from Mexico and Peru, you can draw your own conclusions.

Anyway... during the world cup we are going to come together for one flag.

6. Fernandont Scorres

Jun 26, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right of conquest was a brutal thing, right or wrong that's just how the world worked until the 20th century.

To try to get this back on topic, we were originally just talking about the Americans at the game.

7. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Probably...due to all the eurosnobs constantly coming here and telling us that we suck. Granted, they are probably very disproportionately represented.

But yea, I've otherwise not gotten much of an impression that the US is hated. I don't immediately recall a WC game in which the US was heatedly booed or anything like that.

8. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I did see that the US was 'granted' more tickets. But yea, that may just mean that brokers here paid more money behind the scenes. I have to wonder how many Americans will actually make the trip to support the team.

The idea that Brazil is more of a party destination than SA can't hurt.

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    People hate the USA for political reasons, for things that were done in the past, that may translate into the soccer field sometime.

10. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "leave people alone". If by that you mean that I should not antagonize Mexican American immigrants who live in Texas and California, then I would agree with that. I don't intend to antagonize anyone living anywhere, within the states and territories of the United States or abroad. If we're talking about booing the United States national anthem, I don't really care very much, whether it's done in California or Texas or DF or Baja California or Chiapas. And yes, of course most Mexicans (and, by extension, Mexican Americans) are partially descended from Native Americans who were living in the Americas for over 10,000 years before Europeans began colonizing. I don't think that's a matter of dispute. I think the only difference I have here is that I believe that booing the national anthem is probably as much about the existence of a soccer rivalry as it is about resentment over the seizure of Mexican lands something like 170 years ago, even if it does still play a large role in Mexican public conscious. I don't think the US national anthem would be booed by opposing Mexican fans if the US men's national team were as terrible today as it was in the 1970's. Then again, I don't know that for sure.

11. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Believe me, I will say it has 80% to do with political and social issues. Feelings come out when you are excited or drunk.

Look at the Brazilians, most people love their nt bc of soccer and bc Brazil never bombed any small country or gets involved with wars.

12. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think it did some in 06 especially. I really don't think the US is especially hated by soccer fans relative to other nations though. That's not to say that their aren't power brokers working against the US; but that's a different story.

13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US meddling in Mexican political and economic affairs to the detriment of many actual Mexicans living today (in both countries) didn't end then, so there's that. And then there's Arizona...

14. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lame. Those situations are happening in every country. Mexico is way worse than the US with their anti-immigration policies btw. So, I'm not buying that steaming pile of ____ that you're shoveling.

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your time would be better spent learning about and opposing some of your government's jacked-up policies, instead of having the kneejerk reaction of defending them (goes for any citizen of any country, really).

16. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Unless you are Mexican, you wouldnt understand. My family have mixed with some Mexicans in Los Angeles so I have an idea.

17. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You don't know what I do with regards to politics. Nor is it relevant. I'm talking about your idiotic premise that we're allegedly hated so much for a political issue when we are better than par for the world. That's the issue. Stop trying to confuse it.

18. Fernandont Scorres

Jun 26, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U.S. has given billions of dollars to Mexico in foreign aid. To say U.S. policy has been more of a detriment than not to Mexico is asinine. Even to directly blame U.S. citizen's drug consumption for Mexico's problems is ridiculous, this seems to be the go to issue. We just happen to be a cash cow of a country that is next door, if the drugs weren't coming in here they'd be going out to somewhere else. Mexico has lost control over the cartels to the point that talks of legalization has been opened up here in order to help the problem. We understand that we certainly play a role in the issue however, and have given Mexico a great deal of money and aid because of it. I don't like what Arizona has been doing. They've had to fight a very expensive drug war on their border with little federal help and it's just become a complete mess down there. They have a serious issue of cutting costs just to be able to run. Their actions have spawned out of pure desperation to survive. Our government has the responsibility to help them so they're not resorting to going around racially profiling citizens and they have failed to do so. International border control should not be a state led issue and unfortunately we've had to see exactly why.

Wonder how long before this thread gets locked...

19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you don't follow them, if you believe that.

20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow this turned into an immigration and cultural identity thread.

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but if those drugs went somewhere else--say, a country that doesn't respond to drug problems with law enforcement and military action, declaring a unilateral "War on Drugs", fought mostly inside supplier countries with innocent people getting caught in the crossfire--we wouldn't be having this discussion. Again, no need to waste time defending bad policy; there's nothing patriotic about that.

Edit: I want to be clear though: I'm not saying foreigners hate Americans because of this. I was originally responding to a very specific point, that modern-day Mexicans need to get over stuff that happened 170 years ago.

22. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #122 PremierUSA, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Really? Does the US give give 10 years imprisonment on a 3rd immigration offense? No, that'd be Mexico. FACE

Don't come at me with that weak sauce, son. Don't even come at me.

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the US just has guys that act as vigilantes that capture, hog-tie and torture would-be immigrants as they cross the border. Or lawmakers that literally suggest building a fence with drone turrets that'll shoot anyone that approaches. Or states that allow laws to profile legal immigrants and US citizens and ask for their papers. Or laws that split up families by deporting parents of US citizen to their source country. Or companies that help immigrants come illegally, only to move them into force labor. Should I keep going or is that too weak sauce?

24. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #124 PremierUSA, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Sniffle -- They're detaining law breakers! OMG THE TYRANTS!

And you're now arguing perceived bad deeds of the USA. Your initial premise was somehow the US is hated more than other countries b/c we have this grand unparalleled evil immigration policy. And as I've rightfully pointed out, our immigration policies and procedures are very similar (if not better) than a great many other countries.

BTW - The law that allegedly allowed profiling of illegal immigrants via asking for papers was struck down. Also, I'm not shedding a tear for these 'broken families.' They can go back to Mexico any time they want. I can't go to Mexico and just live there and buy a house and get benefits. It's against the law for me to do so. So enough with your bleeding heart nonsense.

El Chuma repped this.