Will this affect Aussie Rules

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by westcoast929406, Nov 13, 2004.

1. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    The reformed Soccer Australia group has decided to call itself "Football Australia", and will market itself aggressively as the "Football" game to follow in Australia. Its new A League starts in October 2005. (Summer time down under) Note -There are currently approx 200 professional Australian soccer players in Europe
    We all know the Governing body of A/Rules is called the Australian Football League. The AFL executive is adopting a wait and see attitude.
    The 2 Rugby codes in Australia use the word Rugby in their titles.

Would there be any effect if the same thing happened in the US. Any other opinions on this. Should the AFL have a serious look at its title.

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it doesn't matter. I wish they were all used with full qualifications every time, e.g. Association Football, Rugby Union Football, Australian Football, Gaelic Football, Rugby League Football, etc. I really wish the full qualification for Association Football was used in North America. But it gets too wordy, and depending on the context either the word Football is dropped completely, or only the word Football is retained.

It's all football to me (except the American/Canadian kinds, and League). But again, what do I know? I live in California and support the Indian cricket team. :D

3. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Yes, the thing is everybody calls their respective games -Football - In the A/Rules community it is also known as Footy. Soccer football is going to have to work hard to make inroads into our sport I think.

This site lists the crowd attendances world wide for all football codes. Aussie Rules (The AFL) comes in fourth. The AFL figures will go up when the Melbourne Cricket Ground capacity goes back to 100,000 in 2006. It has been running at about a redevelopment 75,000 for the last 2 years.

Go to http://www.geocities.com/worldfootballrankings2004/Top125Leagues.html

Chandu, The BBC said there was a crowd of about 100,000 yesterday in Calcutta for the historic India-Pakistan game.

4. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    We should just pronounce it "futbol" like Les Murray does on SBS, that would avoid any confusion. :D

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Les is a Eurosnob. ;)

On topic, I can't see much of a conflict here. At present, the Aussie Rules code and the AFL name has so much of a brand identity in this country, that there should be no confusion.

Besides, the party of the second part is the organisation formerly known as Soccer Australia, a body known for taking the act of ineptitude to a new art form. So much so, that they chose the name of "the A-League" to name the new top-flight soccer league here, unaware that the name was already taken as the name of the Division 2 setup in the USA.

With blunders like that, AFL fans should not be afraid (unfortunately, because I'd like to see both the Aussie F.A. and the new league do well here).

6. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)

7. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Nope because it is talking about a different code of football and that is soccer.