Will there be soccer in Athens?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Sachin, May 18, 2004.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I read about this yesterday. I just cannot imagine that FIFA and the IOC won't come to some accord on this issue. There is way too much at stake for there to be no soccer at the Olympics. Too much money involved for this not to get sorted out.

3. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    Except FIFA doesn't care about the Oly's. It's low on their list of 50 billion different tourneys.

4. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Low on the priorities for MEN, this is still a huge tourney for Women

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you get your info? By the way I didn't mean money for FIFA, but for the IOC and its sponsors.

6. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    It's pretty much common knowledge that FIFA considers the Oly's somewhere down below their many other championship tourneys. Hence the U-23 age limit.

Yes it is important for the women. Ranks with the WWC for the women. Question is - does FIFA care about the women? Seppy has been a strong supporter (other than the wear short shorts comments) so hopefully they don't get bull-headed.

7. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would think concidering that Fifa is the world governing body of the sport of soccer they would want their sport to be represented. Otherwise isn't it kind of like shooting ones own foot? i think Fifa understands the Olympics is a significant tourney. And I agree Lo....Sepp has always struck me as very supportive of the ladies. While fifa may push the envelope a bit and bring things parilously close to the start of the games. i think in the end an agreement will be reached.

8. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

Does anybody know how to get the GolTV channel ? i have direct TV but i don't think there's a channel called GolTV....sorry out of subject.

9. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    Hey to bad for the Mexicans U23 that beat our U23 in the Olympic Qualifiers... they might not end up going to Athens anyways...hehehe.. why does everything goes bad for Mexico.

10. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, no. FIFA's number one concern is the World Cup. Everything else is secondary. That is why U-23 teams are used for the men's Olympic tournament. True the women's tournament is important to women's players, but I wonder how well the games will sell in Greece.

While Sepp is interested in the women's game, at least publicly, it does not come close to the being the cash cow the World Cup is. And right now, the women's game is not even close.

11. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

Hallo !!!......does anybody here ????

12. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    Exactly Anthony. Let's just hope they aren't too bullheaded on this one.

13. LoTheLurker

LoTheLurker New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Looney Town
    Nope. Sorry. I have DirecTV but no Goltv.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good to see they reached an agreement, as i expected they would. It is hard enough to get your sport into the Olympics to begin with, and once your sport is out...harder still to get it re-instated.

16. mtndew

mtndew New Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Ohio
    Now the question is - Will the soccer games be televised?

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike