Will the USMNT ever come to Dallas?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by WraithXx, Mar 31, 2011.

1. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a stadium built in the 60's that the NFL has stated is "unfit" for a SuperBowl, or a stadium that opened in 2006 that air conditioned, and has the best field in the NFL.

2. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Learn sarcasm

3. This is just one guy's opinion, but if it means anything, I did found and lead the AO chapter here through the 2010 Cup, and had some informative conversations while I held that role.

There's no doubt that the east coast, upper Midwest, KC, and LA are very good at filling stadiums for the USMNT. There's also little doubt that there are several other deserving venues for major USMNT matches. I don't mean to take away anything from the infrastructure that already exists. But I do mean to compete with those venues and try to take some matches for Dallas!

There's little doubt that FCD has not been great in filling their stadium ... although Seattle does, they don't get USMNT games either. So, while MLS attendance may play a role, it's not the main role, IMHO. And, Dallas has a world-class venue, if not the world standard, so that's not the issue.

I think there's a factor that says, go with where you've had success until there's a compelling circumstance to go elsewhere. I get that, although it hurst Dallas. But I think there are two fundamental things keeping the USMNT away from Dallas.

The first is, Dallas is not known for ... harmony ... in its SGs. IMHO, this was and is largely due to a few personalities. These personalities have lost influence and position as their harm becomes known. So, while there's a reputation to be overcome, current Dallas area leadership is very cool, very fun, has the right perspective, and are very passionate about the game and its success. And, they're fun people to drink beer with.

Second, I think it is a mistake to equate MLS attendance to USMNT attendance. The number of business participants, the commitment of FCD, and the attendance at the WC watch parties attests to that. Dallas (I'm ashamed to admit) is a city of frontrunners. The USMNT is a frontrunner. People will come.

We are working hard with the USSF, AO, FCD SGs, and local soccer people who are influential to change the perception and get a marquee game here. When we get it, our best and funnest faces will be ready to show everyone a good time!

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you working with just FC Dallas to get a game at The Hut, or are you also trying to work with Jerry Jones to get a game in Arlington?

5. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dallas would be a decent candidate for a money game against Mexico or Honduras. Didn't you guys play Guatemala and not draw well?

6. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if the US played Mexico at the Cowboys new stadium it would be huge, no doubt about it, in my mind there would be no better place to play it.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as a US-Mexico game is an exhibition, US-Mexico in Dallas would be ideal. Get the boys accustomed to a hostile atmosphere, make a boatload of money off ticket sales, and the result doesn't mean anything.

8. It doesn't quite work like that. We don't "work with" JJ/FCD in that way. The USSF makes its own decisions, and Jerryworld and FCD play their own part to attract matches that make business sense. Business points usually rule the day in the USSF's site selections (sponsorships, anticipated attendance, etc.), and at our level, we have no control over that. I'm not privy to the inner workings and any conversations with PHP or the Death Star as venues for site selection, but I do know that there are things we, as supporters, can do to make it easier for FCD/JJ to promote Dallas, and for the USSF to pick Dallas.

Think of some of the things that are present at frequent game locations like New York, Boston, Chicago, DC, etc.: strong, well-organized MLS supporters groups that have healthy leaders, are fun to drink beer with, that (largely) play well with others, that are supported by their MLS team, etc.

Nashville is an exception, but still manages to attract a lot of games. Maybe there's business reasons behind that which we don't know, but we do know that those events are supported well by AO and SA, and it's not like the lack of an MLS team takes away from the event. So it *can* be done.

While DFWAO and some FCD SGs have *great* relationships with the FCD FO, other aspects of what makes a city soccer-attractive are still not what they can be here. But that's what is changing, finally with some momentum. We're doing what we can to help sell Dallas as a venue. Businesses like FCD and Jerryworld are more apt to make deals if they feel like they will make money, and we think making Dallas more soccer-attractive in ways described above will help this effort. That's what "we're working with [whomever] to help get games here" means.

Hope that helps.

9. You're half right. The Guatemala match did not draw well. Given that turnout, there's little reason for the USSF to believe Dallas will do any better with another match. That's part of the "perception hurdle" that we face here. FWIW, the FO has completely turned over since that time, and is much more adept at working things like that, so that's a plus.

But as for Dallas being an easy candidate for a money game ... hmmm. If you'll notice, The Death Star has been a venue for several soccer matches, but not for a USMNT match. Meaning, only CONCACAF has been dealing with The Turd On The Turnpike, and not the USSF.

With the large hispanic population in and around Dallas, this makes sense for CONCACAF. Given the Guatemala turnout, it also makes sense for the USSF (in the absence of showing a change). So, unless the Money Game is part of a CONCACAF tourney, I just don't see it. USA:MEX as a qualifier shouldn't be played here. As a friendly, maybe, but you could still expect a MEX majority.

So, my best guess for a Money(-ish) Game here would be either a Gold Cup semi (like in Houston this summer), where the USA and MEX would probably be in opposite semifinals, or a high-profile friendly against Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, England or the like. There's actually a pretty significant German population in Texas, so this would seem a natural match.

But, if you're the USSF, do you "entrust" Dallas to roll out the red carpet like Chicago, New York, Boston, etc., do for these high-profile friendlies? If I'm them, I'm thinking, not so much. While we can't work on the business aspects too much, we can work on the fun side, with FCD FO, AO/SA, etc. But there are still hurdles to overcome.

10. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it does. Although, I felt like you guys lost some prospects after the whole stadium left during a 20 minute lighting delay over the weekend. Now I know I am using a different sport, but in 2004, the U of Arizona hosted Wisconsin. This was coming off of there worst season ever. This was also Mike Stoops first season, and Wisconsin was ranked in the top 10. Anyways, about midway through the first quarter, the game was delayed due to lighting. Now for two and a half hours, there was not one update in the stadium, but people stayed. When kickoff came, there was about 15k people left. Could you tell me why everyone left the game over the weekend. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. That's a fair critique and you're right, it may have effected things. It certainly couldn't help. The best Dallas can hope for out of that, I think, is that it's forgotten.

Of course I can't tell you why everyone left, but I will take a few guesses.

It was Sunday night, a school night, and the delay was made with 7 minutes to go. When a delay is announced, nobody knows how long it will last. I wasn't there, but my understanding was that most folks hung around for about 30 minutes and then left. And, the weather was pretty bad.

With your football game, I would say that football is a destination event that people plan around, it was on a Saturday, and the delay happened before kickoff.

I know that doesn't explain it away, but it's also not quite apples-to-apples. I would say, give FCD a break on that one. It was a perfect storm (no pun intended). But I can also see how that just reinforces a negative image. That's part of what I mean.

BTW, should add Phila to the list of good venues that show the USSF a good soccer time.

12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't lived in Philly in 14 years. Thats why I want a game in AZ.