Will the NE Revolution be rebranded The Boston Beacons?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DaveBrett, Sep 24, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are rumors that the Rapids will return to their original green for a 3rd kit this year.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Will the original RapidMan come out of the witness protection program? I heard the Crewzers were disbanded after they testified.

Jasonma repped this.
  3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Tea Men" would definitely be a great nickname for a Boston area club.

4. RGRAY55

RGRAY55 Member

Philadelphia Union
    Apr 10, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like...the New York Yankees. Like...the Los Angeles Lakers.

8. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Lakers are clearly still wearing these:
    [​IMG]
    And these:
    [​IMG]

And of course, they'll never ever have a white jersey.

Unak78 repped this.
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. The Minneapolis Lakers had a pretty good rebranding in 1960... :)

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point. And the New York Yankees weren't always the New York Yankees. IIRC, they were the Highlanders.

Unak78 repped this.
  11. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly I'm just feeling salty today, my bad haha.

Any Revs fans want to chime in with news, or is this pretty much dead in the water? The stadium issue is a whole other can of worms, but if there's no new branding this year, I can't imagine it'll come until the next round of kits in 2015.

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's highly likely that the club will wait until they have a SSS in place to rebrand. I think that they look at SKC's rebranding/stadium opening as the perfect way to reinvent themselves.

13. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Do they though? New England and Chivas desperately need new stadiums to prove that they're serious to their fanbases. I know that DC is serious about building a stadium, they have been for years. Hopefully something comes on for New England and then we can see where they go from there. I really don't think they need to go as far as changing their name if they get a new stadium. Although the total rebrand in KC generated alot of buzz around the city. Even from ppl who hated the new name, it was like they suddenly realized that they existed.

But the uniform design has to go. They need something original. And MLS needs more diversity. Like LA bringing back the sash, Portland sticking with the Arsenal/Villa sleeves, I hope to see New England go to a unique uniform design if they choose to do a rebrand.

14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Unfortunately the Revolution brand is pretty tarnished in the Boston/New England market due to years and years of amateurish marketing and gameday experiences. I really think a full rebrand along with a new SSS would be a great way for the club to distance itself from the past and turn over a new leaf. Then again, all of this will just be lipstick on a pig if the Krafts continue to treat this franchise like a red-headed stepchild.

15. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I can agree on that point. Yeah, I kinda added to my original post with some emphasis placed on that sentiment. Revolution wasn't as bad a name as some of the other 90's era names like Burn, Whiz, or Fusion. But I agree, it's probably been pretty much ruined as a potential brand. Part of SKC's success is that they basically started over with their fans.

Yeah, even with a clean start, it can all go for naught if the ownership isn't up to the task of capitalizing. See FC Dallas.

Let's look at another thing that changed shortly prior to SKC's rebrand,... the ownership. SKC's owners were all about soccer and Mr. Kraft is decidedly not. If they rebrand, build a stadium and still miss the plot, then they'll have wasted a golden opportunity. You can only reboot so many times. DC is in a similar situation but you at least know that their owners have always cared which is why they never completely fell off the deep end. The biggest ingredient, even bigger than the stadium, is an owner who cares.

Flex Buffchest and redinthemorning repped this.
  16. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. With Kraft still running the show, it doesn't matter what the team is called, where they play, what colors they wear, or who they sign. If the owners treat the team as an afterthought, the (potential) fans will treat the team as an afterthought. AEG and Hunt have both shown that MLS teams (both groups still own/partially own two teams each) can be run successfully while having other concerns. But the people in charge need to support the product. If they don't give a shit, then why would anybody else?

Crooked repped this.
  17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't really matter.

Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Patriots respectively (link):
    1a.jpg

Either way, you're looking at a potential fan base of 11-13 million.

18. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this has been done to death (including my own beating of that dead horse), but I just don't see how Robert Kraft would decide it makes sense for him to build the Revs their own stadium. That's not to say that Bilello is lying; but let's actually look at his words from the original article:

"I think it is much more powerful to do something in conjunction with a move to an urban SSS and really re-define what soccer means to our region."

He thinks an urban SSS would be beneficial, and he's right. However, we havemany ubran stadia in MLS period, much less urban SSS. I find it highly unlikely that Kraft would move the team away from Patriot Place unless his new toy box is taxpayer funded, and that's a tough sell in this economy.

Given the general malaise surrounding the current Revs look and the time it would take to get an urban SSS built, holding off on the rebrand during construction might not a great idea anyway. When your few remaining supporters know a rebrand is coming, that's not motivation to hit the merch stands. While I respect what the Revs FO keeps talking about, there comes a time to commit to your new look if only to stop treading water.

19. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly the point. They don't need a name change, they need an ownership change. What would it matter if they were Sporting New England FC, if they're still treated second behind the Patriots? The Revolution name is fine. If they get their own stadium, some DPs and a winning team, everyone will forget about the couple of years of mediocrity.

FC Dallas got their own stadium and rebranded and that didn't help them. You can't point to SKC and think it will work that way with every team and city. They're all different.

Jasonma repped this.
  20. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But the thing that often gets overlooked with SKC is the ownership change.
    If a marginal team gets new owners, a new SSS, and a completely new identity, then its reasonable to expect something similar to what happened in Kansas City. If a shitty ownership group builds a stadium in the middle of nowhere and rebrands, more often than not it won't make a bit of difference; you end up with FC Dallas.

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The belief amongst some fans in New England is that the Krafts will be willing to commit more money to the franchise once they have a stadium built. Building a stadium in an urban setting in Greater Boston will be far more expensive for Kraft than it was for the Hunts to build a stadium in Frisco. Building a stadium would be a major investment and would most likely signify a major change in the Kraft's attitude towards their soccer franchise.

22. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]

ImaPuppy repped this.
  23. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely magnificent. Are those just a one off or an actual third?

25. BrodieQPR

BrodieQPR Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Rovers would be rad as hell and a nice fit for the city with the Irish connections (ie. The Irish Rover, Shamrock Rovers, etc.) providing a neat rallying point for the fanbase. I'm talking a stadium draped in tricolors, like our answer to Celtic Park.

DB53 repped this.