Will the Copa Centenario continue?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    day 1 of this brand new tournament. The question I have is will the tournament continue every 4 years, to become our version of the Euros? And do we continue to call it the Copa Centenario?

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict this thing will be such a success, from now on there will be a centennial celebration for Copa America ever 4 years.

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry but this is a big mikey mouse tournament.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Only Brazil seems to be treating it as so. Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia don't look "Mikey Mouse".

My bet is that Mexico clamors to host a 2nd edition in 2020, and Mexico deserves the honor.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No, but I hope they look around and see that a 16 team tournament of the Americas held concurrently with the Euros could be a big thing for years to come.

6. superpower

superpower Red Card

Mar 17, 2016
    :sneaky:

7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'll keep happening, but unfortunately, the USSF doesn't seem interested in trying to put out a competitive US team.

*frustrated*

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How much money is expected to earn from this compared to recent Copa tournaments?

9. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this question has a new twist, since we just went down at the hands of Columbia, 2-0.

10. SaltyCatter

SaltyCatter Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The West
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they try to make it a big thing like that---it would be great for the sport in this Hemi-

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it will continue... only problem is the next Copa "Centenario" won't be until 2116... but I'm sure my great grandkids will enjoy it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The CONMEBOL are very stubborn old farts. The best I could see is having a celebration like this every 8 years (every other World Cup cycle.)
    I can't see this being FIFA approved every 4 years. Especially since Euro Clubs don't want to see their players play back-to-back summers in grueling tourneys. And South American Federations want to keep their traditions of rotating the "real" Copa between South American nations exclusively. That is their focus.

13. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--
    ColOmbia. The other implies a team in the north east?

And to the thread, if it makes business sense - they'd find a way to keep this going. But with CA hitting every 3 years makes placing this version a little odd.

deuteronomy repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Wouldn't that make it the Copa Bicentenario?;)

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a big change, and a big if, but I believe the tournament would have a lot more prestige if it had qualification for it... And maybe if it included Asia and Africa.

You could do for qualifiers, top 8 from Copa America, top 4 from Gold Cup, top 4 from Asian Cup, and top 4 from African Cup of Nations.

Then, it wouldn't be the Copa America, but it would be a cool tournament.

deuteronomy repped this.
  16. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Which is their right. I appreciate them sharing this event with us even if their motive is only profits.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The selfish side of me wants to see this happen more often than every 100 years.
    But que sera , sera.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be down with a separate tourney from Copa America, as this thing sort of is, as a compromise to keep the South American tradition like you know they'd prefer, but the Brazils have to be leveraged into not half assing it next time, and Canada and co. have to start doing their part. Can't say I'm looking forward to Haiti-Peru. Have to go at least 5 legit in CONCACAF to meet CONMEBOL in the middle.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    There will be a couple of matches that are uninspiring ie Haiti and Peru, but the majority of the matches have the potential to be compelling. The 16 team Euro Championship tournament of the past was possibly the single most all meat, no filler major tournament in the world, even including the traditional 12 team Copa, but the current 24 team Copa is going to wow us with Albania v Romania, Austria v Hungary (cool if you're a historian at least), etc, and about half the groups have one relative minnow that has no realistic chance to advance. This tournament in this format really could have a future, if enough federations within both confeds really want it. The next one can be in Mexico. The one after that perhaps in Colombia, or Argentina, and so forth...

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austria is the shiz, actually. They have our level of talent, but operate like a well oiled machine under an actual good manager. They dominated in qualifying. Albania vs. Romania isn't good, but a better match-up than Haiti vs. Peru.

And two wrongs don't make a right.

I'd say the 6 teams in CONCACAF need to give them enough of a reason to make it a unique tournament and added accomplishment of winning it. Of course they might just make it a regular occurrence still as an extra money grab, but it wouldn't be nearly what it could. I think Canada finally having our evolution like we did in the 90's and another team like Honduras becoming more consistent instead of having golden generations would make a big difference. 6 isn't a lot, so it has to be a meaty group.

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Copa America Centenario will be special, but no guarantees of a repeat - US Soccer chief
    In my view there is simply no space on the international calendar for another event, even if CONCACAF sacrifices one of the Gold Cups. This edition got rubberstamped by the old FIFA regime. I wouldn't expect it again.

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    What would be the major difference if CONCACAF were to sacrifice one of our Gold Cups? This is a summer tournament, held while most European leagues are in close season.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    European clubs are not going to accept that their players are busy playing international tournaments every single summer - and rightfully so. The current situation is already madness.

This is Mexico's likely schedule until 2019:

2013: Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2014: World Cup
    2015: Gold Cup
    2016: Copa America Centenario
    2017: Gold Cup / Confederations Cup
    2018: World Cup
    2019: Gold Cup

Every single one of those tournaments is on the FIFA calendar. I didn't include regular Copa America invitations or the Summer Olympics. That is seven consecutive summers until 2019. Two of those years, 2013 and 2017, actually have two (!) tournaments in the same summer. Gold Cup and Confederations Cup.

Chile are also looking at six straight summer tournaments if they qualify for Russia 2018.

2014: World Cup
    2015: Copa America
    2016: Copa America Centenario
    2017: Confederations Cup
    2018: World Cup
    2019: Copa America

Where are you going to fit in another tournament?

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is though, I would argue that there needs to be a major summer tournament every year.

lime repped this.
  25. El Dude Malacopa

Aug 25, 2014
    Mexico CIty
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You guys do realize that this specific tournament is ONLY to commemorate the already existing Copa America which has been continuously held since 1916 right? LOL