Will Taiwan have a pro soccer league soon?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by psveindhoven, Aug 31, 2009.

1. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Will Taiwan have a pro soccer league soon? They are the only major country (see GDP list below) without a professional soccer league. Is there potential over there to start, for example, an eight team professional soccer league. Without a decent league, soccer won't develop in Taiwan.

1 United States 14,264,600
    2 Japan 4,923,761
    3 People's Republic of China 4,401,614h
    4 Germany 3,667,513
    5 France 2,865,737
    6 United Kingdom 2,674,085
    7 Italy 2,313,893
    8 Russia 1,676,586
    9 Spain 1,611,767
    10 Brazil 1,572,839
    11 Canada 1,510,957
    12 India 1,209,686
    13 Mexico 1,088,128
    14 Australia 1,010,699
    15 South Korea 947,010
    16 Netherlands 868,940
    17 Turkey 729,443
    18 Poland 525,735
    19 Indonesia 511,765
    20 Belgium 506,392
    21 Switzerland 492,595
    22 Sweden 484,550
    23 Saudi Arabia 481,631
    24 Norway 456,226
    25 Austria 415,321
    26 Taiwan 392,552i
    27 Greece 357,549
    28 Iran 344,820
    29 Denmark 342,925
    30 Argentina 326,474
    31 Venezuela 319,443
    32 South Africa 277,188

2. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The country is baseball mad and only baseball.

The leaders of the country have worked almost exclusively on politics alone but never on sports development until recently.

There is talk of a semi-pro football league but the people there are always talking and never putting anything together. If I understand correctly, only two or three FIFA standard football grounds exists in the whole country.

3. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Sports in general are not that big there, people just know baseball the most. But i think eventually there will be a soccer league because of the pop. and GDP.

4. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    But I heard Taiwanese Baseball league has also hit an all-time low with corruption, match fixing scandals and etc and now the league has only 4 teams? What's the situation like now?

Taiwan used to be a pretty good footballing nation in Asia back in the 60s along with Burma.

5. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    The soccer match between Taiwan and Hong Kong at the new stadium in Kaosiung attracted 12,000 people, maybe a record for Taiwanese soccer?

6. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If I am not wrong the tickets are free for the EAFF semi-final tournament. People went in for free to see the new stadium and the game.

7. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    How is that even possible? The population is so small and even baseball only has 4 teams. Wikipedia says the average attendance is only 3K.

I don't know about the quality of your baseball league but if you got football in your country the quality will undoubtedly be very poor.

Better chance, all politics aside, in getting a Chinese super league franchise in Taiwan.

8. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd easily assume this would be a great move. However I'm not all too certain about the politics between the two nations; we'd have to research more into it to see if either nation would even allow it to be discussed.

9. sgnerdboy

sgnerdboy New Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently typing this from Taipei and I agree with all of those who state that Taiwan is absolutely baseball mad. Taiwan does show some interest in basketball, especially the NBA, although they do also have a domestic league.

The issue isn't even that Taiwan doesn't have a domestic football league but that football doesn't even seem to exist here. There doesn't even seem to be an interest in the big European leagues, which leads me to conclude that interest in the sport is very, very low.

Anywhere else in Asia, you see tons of football jerseys around, whether for sale in stores or people wearing them. However, here you see more people wearing baseball jerseys than you would in the States. Sure, the Taiwanese baseball league has had some scandals but people here follow Major League Baseball in the same way that other Asian countries follow the Premiership or La Liga.

Last but not least is that Taipei's main football stadium is currently under redevelopment.

10. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    As far as I know, the only football stadium in Taiwan is the Chungshan stadium.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/asia/taiwan/taipei_chungshan.shtml

Is this the stadium that's currently being redeveloped? I wonder what the new stadium will look like. Do you have any pics? I'd love to see them as I'm a bit of a stadium-geek.

11. Dokebiteam

Dokebiteam New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    what about that one new stadium with solar panel roofs, it looked like a really nice stadium for football...

12. begans-redded

begans-redded Red Card

Sep 27, 2009
    Argentina
    First of all, why is baseball popular in Taiwan? LOL.
    I know the people of mainland China aren't interested in the sport at all.

13. shotdy-redded

shotdy-redded Red Card

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Accoding to some sources, Taiwan was a part of Japan until 1945 and Japanese pro baseball league games used to be played there.

14. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    baseball was very popular in china during the ROC period (1911-1949

15. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I heard that one school baseball team did very well once, then all the schools and everybody started playing baseball.

16. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Time for pro soccer in Taiwan!

17. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think there is enough will in Taiwan for this to happen... it would be great though.

18. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    I heard of a site called 'Taiwan football dream', which came online to promote soccer and there seem to be serious plans for a professional soccer league. Some investors want Taiwan's national team to aim for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, but that doesn't seem very realistic to me. The best things to happen: The visit of Real Madrid in summer, which is very likely, and making a new club in Taipei (Tapei FC?) that should join the CSL with a club from Hong Kong (South China AA?). The English Premier League also seems to have plans to launch a soccer channel in Taiwan. I think it is possible for Taiwan to have a pro soccer league or pro soccer clubs in the future, they can't be the only country which doesn't care about soccer at all forever...

19. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think South China AA has no interest to join the Chinese league system as of today. HKFA chairman Brian Leung is hoping to get a HK team in the Jia League in 2011, but nothing concrete has come of it so far, no name, no coach, no players, no sponsors, nothing. In fact, he might not remain as HKFA chairman for much longer.

For a Taiwan team to join the Chinese league system, there will be enormous political hurdles to overcome. Taiwan considers itself independent from China and do not want to be a part of it in any form, cultural, sports...etc.

20. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Dont see the point of a pro league, maybe they can set up a better system of amateur teams so the players can improve, its not up to the par of a pro league but a pro league requires some serious investment over a long period of time. There is no point to launch a league and then watch it fold in 4-5 years, probably does more harm than good.

21. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I said it many times before on these forums and I think it is worth mentioning again, I think it will be wise for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Brunei and Macau to join up and form a "South China Sea Super League". 2 teams from Taiwan, 4 teams each from HK and SG, 1 team from Brunei and 1 team from Macau will give us a 12 team pro league with proper home-away fixtures. It will be a great platform for soccer development in these countries/regions. All it needs is for the AFC and a promoter to see the benefit of it and award a few places in the ACL and AFC Cup to the top teams.

22. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Sounds great to me, maybe 2 teams from the Philippines too?

23. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know much about the Philippines. What is the status of their league? Do they have suitable stadiums?

Can they AFFORD to be competitive against the rather wealthy economies of SG, HK, Macau, Brunei and Taiwan? I think these economies can afford relatively higher player salaries.

Any good Filippino players could be lured away easily by the other 5 and I am not really comfortable with that. Also I doubt any Filippino club can afford quality foreign players to make them competitive.

24. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    How about this, why not this Intercity Football League in 2012:

1 Kaohsiung City Yaoti FC
    2 Kaohsiung Taipower FC
    3 Tainan County FC
    4 Taipei City Tatung FC
    5 Taipei County Hanchuang FC
    6 Kaohsiung City FC
    7 Yilan County FC
    8 Taipei County Stars FC
    9 Taipei County Sanchung FC
    10 Tatung County Kuoyuan FC

Let all 10 clubs have their own logos and stadiums and the league has the possibility to become a mainstream league in Taiwan, like the baseball and basketball league.

25. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Taiwan's record attendance for a soccer match is 20,000, maybe the match against Real Madrid in Taipei will break the record.