Will Sigi Schmid be the Crew Head Coach on August 1, 2008?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Feb 18, 2008.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that talk taking place anywhere but here?

I think Sigi will still be here on August 1. I don't think the front office will fire him unless/until we're well out of playoff contention, and even if we're not all that good, I don't think we'll be at that point until later in the season. Nor do I see Sigi resigning before getting to that point.

2. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Um, I think even Schmid himself discussed it back before Bradley was hired on even an interim basis. There was speculation that Schmid was in the running for an assistant's position when Klinsman was a possibility, with Schmid saying something along the lines of, "I'll wait and see, but any time you get called to coach your country you have to give it thought."

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not. The more I read up on Crew's past 10 months, the more depressed I become with the state of this club.

4. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's a thread with pictures of the stage, unless you need to see it in person.

5. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, saw it. Thanks.

6. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unfortunate part is that Bill and Zak are not being all that over the top. And the Crew's own actions has made things like signing a pub player believable. I moved to Columbus in 2002 and started going to games then. The way this franchise has changed in the interim is frightening. Close your eyes to it if you want, but the happy days of this franchise keep receding further into the past.

Columbus WAS once a great soccer town. Is it anymore? Certainly not when one looks at its flagship team. A terrible run of results, fans that have been beaten away with a stick over half a decade - it's not pretty.

Would I love the Crew to do well this year? Absolutely. Given past results and the current state of the team, I'm going to wait for a month or two of results before I get excited.

Besides, its not as if the Crew's trying to distract us with a flood of good news from Florida.

7. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just figured it was, you know - pretty concrete evidence.

Not that I'm trying to call you out, more out of way of illustration.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted no. but i have rethought and should have said yes because i have little faith in Sigi's ability to turn this into a winning team but even less faith in the ownership and front office to actually act on Sigi's inability. The ownership is more frustrating for me than the quality of players we have because atleast the players try (well, i guess thats up for debate) but the ownership is about as sad as it gets. In a few years it will be cheaper to buy the Crew and the stadium than to try and get a expansion team (sorry for going off topic)

9. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm getting kind of tired of saying it, but I've met you once or twice, and think you're a pretty good guy.

I'm not optimistic. The incredible amount of doom and gloom is just a complete drag, and I'm not feeling it anymore.

The stage sucks, yes. But I don't think it's a sign that they've thrown away the club, and are just looking to bring in 45 editions of Rock on the Range either.

10. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Talking of which, I hear Rock on the Range has another day! Sweet, I say. More income for the team.

I also hear the Police are coming to town. Not to CCS though, to Nationwide.

11. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Surely you have some numbers to back this up? No? Going off the off-the-wall claims of others in this forum? Alright.

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was using exageration but again no one on BS would ever think about doing that:rolleyes:

13. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Here's something a lot of you may have forgotten:

"For Schmid, the Crew's performance has made this his most maddening season as a coach, with those frustrations coming to the surface following his side's 2-1 home loss to Real Salt Lake on Aug. 16. Following that match, which at the time extended the team's winless streak to 13 games, Schmid told the Columbus Dispatch that he was thinking of resigning." (from http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=377657&root=mls&cc=5901)

So the question becomes; will we have as bad a run of form this year?

I for one think our squad's worse in 2008 than in 2006 so the answer has to be "yes." In fact, going by the playing personnel alone you would have to say we're more likely to have a worse run of form.

Will Schmid resign? I've had the feeling for a while now he's just looking for a way out of what, for him, is a pretty bad professional and personal situation.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I suspect the 2008 Crew will be a better team than the 2006 team. That team was putrid. The problem is that our competitors have improved more in the meantime than we have so we might end up with a comparable record. TFC should be improved. KC looks bad but they seem more likely to find a DP than Columbus do.

15. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Crew fans have a right to be frustrated after a few years of poor results. However, it will not take much for this team to have a good year. Hell last year I watched some of really good quality soccer from this team-some of the best in the MLS, IMO. I think I read somewhere that the Crew gave up 15 points in games Crew should have either won or tied-it just take someone to take a leadership role on defense and that problem is solved.

The team looks better this year to me. I think Carrol was a good addition and it looks like from Hesmer's blog they have good chemistry which is critical. I don't think Moffat will disappoint and it just takes one striker to get hot. Rogers and Gaven like each other and make a good pair and both appreciate Guille and Moreno.

Team chemistry is going to make or break this team. I am banking on Sigi developing the chemistry to make this thing work. Yes the Hunt group should show the love and shell out a bunch of money for a DP but I dont see that many selling more tickets and I am not convinced a DP is going to make the difference.

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Let's say, for the moment, that your comment above is true (I would say otherwise).

(a) What do you consider "hot?"
    (b) Who do you think, currently rostered, has that potential?
    (c) Can one "hot" striker carry this team for an entire campaign?
    (d) When this magic striker is "cold," is there sufficient depth for a secondary scorer?

I just believe that this team is more than one "hot" striker away from causing other teams sleepless nights.

17. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at Houston and no one really stuck out yet they won it all. I would say someone needs to land around 12 plus goals and defense needs to close the door.

18. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    This thread could possibly be the Fort Sumter for Crew fans.

19. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Did you really just compare us to Houston?

I would venture a guess that at least 9 of Houston's 11 starters last year were better at their position than our starter. Of course, Houston didn't play 8 d-mids at once, so it's hard to do a player-by-player analysis.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dewayne De Rosario
    Brian Ching
    Brian Mullen
    Ricardo Clark
    Richard Mulrooney
    Wade Barret
    Eddie Robinson

None of these guys "stand out" to you? Really?

21. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    As not one of them are named Robbie Rogers, I'm inclined to believe that none of them stand out to Missionary.

22. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope he and Gaven have a good year.

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest there are very few options out there in which the incoming DP is going to raise attendence a good amount. Unless its a main stream player (zizo, ronaldo) the average fan isnt going to know. I know the attedence would go up some because maybe old fans see the club is actually make an effort to win and depending on the player it may cater to a certain ethnic group (blanco in chicago).

24. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But look at their production. On paper you could argue that they were underacheiving individually.

25. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Soccer's not played on paper, pal.