Will MLS eventually collaspe?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by soccermilitant, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Future Hamilton CPL President is starting to hype the direction that CSA will be going as of next month where CPL receives its sanctioning:

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The better one, like Cyle Larin or Will Johnson.

The better one.

2016 season.

upload_2017-4-24_11-29-15.png
    That's not a big disparity considering the lack of tradition and infrastructure in Canada compared to the US.

CPL may want to control those 3 markets exclusively if it happens to be in the best interest of the national program.
    I would think it would be better to have young Canadians playing at the highest level possible. I also don't see why Canadian players would choose CPL over MLS or overseas leagues.

So the big three will have to share their profits.

Agreed. This is why Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus put developing players for their national teams over making profits.

How was Canadian soccer doing before MLS?

Ahead of Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and Jamaica. Fantastic!

Swedish teams, for example have qualified for the group stage of the UEFA Champions league three times since 1992/93 and last qualified for the group stage of the Europa League in 2013/14. Most of their young players come through foreign academies. None of their current national team players play in Sweden.[/quote]

Yes their average attendance may drop to 27,173.

Did they ever sanction teams to play in MLS? Wasn't it more a case of USSF sanctioning Canadian teams? The talks between CSA and MLS seem to be more about giving Canadians the opportunity to play in the US but you seem to suggest the CNT would be better off keeping Canadian players in CPL.

jayd8888 and The Franchise repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did he say that?

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But there isn't enough of them playing in MLS, hence the need for CPL. If the 3 Clubs wants to stay in MLS, they will have to play more Canadians

Objectively? The same. Hence the problem. There's been no progression. Something must change.

Personally? Worst. From participating to the World Cup in 1986, to winning the Gold Cup to complete mediocrity is a clear decline. Is it MLS fault? No, but they aren't the solution.

My emphasis was "above NASL" and that more money makes it easier to attract quality players, not trying to use that argument as bragging. Costa Rica's league is actually pretty strong, personal opinion of course but clubs like Alajuelense, Saprissa and Herediano plays better against Mexican clubs in CCL than MLS.

Zlatan Ibrahimović was a product of the Swedish system, than he became too good to stay. He started in local clubs then Malmo

Yes, MLS needs the CSA sanction to operate teams in Canada and that's according to FIFA convention. That sanction is not irrevocable.

CPL would be better because we could develop more of them. Sure there's Larin and Osorio but that's not enough. Canada's biggest flaw is the lack of depth and MLS cannot contribute to that, but a domestic league will.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    U.K newspaper "The Guardian"

6. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The small number of replies in that thread suggest the exact opposite of what you've hypothesized which is MLS teams in MLS and competing for the CCL spot via the current cup competition.

Look, I seriously wish you the best, but there's a CPL concept that is at least a year behind schedule, has only one of 6 to eight teams committed, and plans for teams fielding 75% Canadian players per team. It's a league that will struggle to be on par with the USL/NASL we know right now for quite some time, and we're really supposed to believe that the CSA will nuke its relationship with the three most committed soccer ownership groups in the country and the USSF which is essentially gifting the CSA the chance to host World Cup games to pave the way?

If that really turns out to be the path the CSA takes, good luck. I'm sure Mexico would be happy to take an extra 10 game in 2026. Despite being pretty fierce onfield rivals, the USSF, FMF, MLS and LigaMX have an excellent working relationships. The Mexican national team and its club teams make a lot of money in the US and that won't change for the foreseeable future. It really would be cutting of its nose to spite its face.

PTFC in KCMO and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless MLS allowed Canadian players to be treated as domestic in the US...

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not here. There's a forum like this one but Canadian. It's a hot topic there and all the details are also there.

The plan isn't public yet, you're quoting rumors which has been updated many times.
    • 6 teams guaranteed at start, 8-10 by 2019, 12 markets interested, the goal is 16 within 10 years
    • CPL owners pushed back on the 75%. It will be lower but progressive as the pool increases and gets deeper
    • CPL will be above NASL at kick off in term of quality and payroll. NASL almost folded last year while USL is a farm league. CPL is a Division 1 league.
    • The World Cup thing is done deal. Gifting? More like cooperation, really, lots of sketicism regarding the USSF getting the majority of the votes in a solo bid.
    • The USSF and CSA relationship are good but the CSA-MLS relationship is bad. Is the MLS the boss of USSF? The CPL owners are about to invest collectively much more money than the big 3 in Canadian Soccer while developing Canadian talent at a more efficient rate than MLS. The CSA loyalty has already shifted to the CPL ownership and things are about to get harder with those 3 clubs.
    You're confusing Federations and Leagues. The federations have good relationships but MLS isn't a factor in this. Like many said, if the Canadian clubs ended not being part of MLS, the league would be fine and everyone would move on.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If that happens, or even just ruling that Americans are internationals on Canadian clubs and not domestics, the issue would be over and those clubs are going nowhere

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're really missing the big picture. First, 2019 is a long way away and you're underestimating the quality in the NASL and USL. I cannot see teams comprised of 75% Canadian players being good enough off the bat. It would take a while, I watched MLS go through this. Its painful. You can put a D1 label on any league you'd like. Its just a label. If the talent level and play are bad, its just a bad D1 league. The championship in England is better than most top flights in Europe, the label is strictly relative the competition in a given country.

With respect to the federations, I am not confusing anything as the feds and leagues are intertwined. MLS is a member of the USSF and it essentially controls the USSF professional council. Gulati was one of the first employees of MLS and by extension, all three Canadian teams are members of the USSF via participation in both MLS and the DA leagues. If the CSA did something which hurts a USSF member, you really don't think it would act on its behalf? Its really amusing that you feel like the early phase of a world cup bid is iron clad but the decade old relationship between MLS and Canada is revocable at the drop of a hat. Let's be honest, the CSA is being gifted this opportunity. The USSF could do this alone, Mexico has hosted twice already, and Canada doesn't have the stadiums to serve as a host. This is happening to keep the CONCACAF voting bloc behind a single bid and to keep the three federations together. I am sure there were discussions about MLS when the CSA was getting cut in on this deal.

But again, if the powers that be at the CSA are that stupid, bless them and good luck.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which we all know is impossible under US labor law, but if the CSA wanted to hire lobbyists to get Congress to pass a law which allowed MLS to discriminate in favor of Canadians, that would be far easier and cheaper than blowing up the three MLS teams.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL does.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL hasn't been sued yet to stop it. That doesn't make it legal.

billf repped this.
  14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt it ... especially with emphasis on domestic players making up majority of rosters. Liga Profesional is a D1 League ... it isn't better quality than USL/NASL.

jayd8888 repped this.
  15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely irrelevant. The NASL also doesn't have a players union either, MLS does and such a rule in MLS would go against the interests of the bulk of its membership, Americans or green card holders who could be dropped for a Canadian and non-citizens who do not enjoy the same benefit who would be discriminated against based on national origin. The CFL was forced the change its rules for US based teams and NASL 1 was going to get slapped for this before it folded in 1984. If an NASL player files a claim, he'd win.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No I'm not, I've seen both an USL and NASL and I see them for what they are. Perhaps you're overestimating them?

That's why I said that CPL owners pushed back. They want quality right from the start and Paul Beirne came out and said the initial quotas would be low but increase over time as the pool gets deeper and better. CPL doesn't want to repeat what didn't work initially for MLS.

I know that, hence the push back to lower the quotas and the owners setting the bar high in term of payroll. They want quality from the get go.

And the MLS position on domestics players while heavily profiting from the CSA sanctioning is better how? Is it reasonable to say that a member of the USSF is hurting the CSA?

When CPL, a member of the CSA, will start to push to gain exclusive access to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, you expect the CSA not to act on behalf of their member?

I'd say that the 3 teams, being sanctioned by the CSA are part of a USSF sanctioned league but must still answer to the CSA, hence the threat, and also, MLSE laments that they don't have more of a say on how the CSA is run.

Well, the fact that they signed on the bid makes it pretty much a thing, no?

As for making a parallel to MLS finding a way to make the CSA sanctioning irrevocable is truly comparing apples and oranges. Again, the CSA de-sanctioned the CSL, why on earth would they extand such a guarantee to a foreign league?

Also, that's just how FIFA writes its rules. They give federations a lot of power:
    http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...ic/02/58/14/48/2015fifastatutesen_neutral.pdf

At the minute, CSA withdraws its authorisation, those 3 are banned from playing in MLS. Suing the CSA would be suing FIFA at the same time who wrote the rule. All parties signed on this knowing this rule AHEAD of time. The burden falls on all parties to make this last. The CSA did its part and gave MLS 3 of the most lucrative markets on the continent stabilizing the league and propelled it to new heights. If MLS doesn't want to lose this deal, they have to satisfy the CSA as well.

I really find it hilarious that people are advocating for MLS to keep profiting from Canadian markets thanks to the CSA sanction without doing their part to keep the CSA's sanctioning like it's simply their rights to receive it. Well, it's not a right, it's a privilege and I don't think the CSA is asking for the moon. I think all it would take is to make ONLY Canadians domestic on Canadian teams. Status quo won't last forever.

All of the 3 could do this solo. It's easier in the US. Mexico hosted twice while Canada won't have to spend billions to build stadiums, but if it came to that, it would. It was prepared for 32 team world cup, not 48. Perhaps next time it will be ready for such a tournament which should be facilitated by CPL and new stadiums.

Keep saying that the US didn't need it's neighbors, most analyst in the medias knows why it had to be joint bid, because a solo bid was unlikely to get the majority of the votes. Canada and Mexico made it a done deal since they are getting votes that the US wouldn't have got on their own.

For now it's Montagliani and soon Montopoli. They are no idiots and being stupid would be to act like everything is fine as is.

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Quotas will be lower at first to reflect the current state of the pool, initially there will lots of international spots. Paul Beirne confirmed that only Internationals currently playing in good to top Division 1 and 2 leagues would be signed by the CPL.

CSA wanted a very high quota at first, CPL Ownership said no and wanted a very low quota to avoid repeating MLS at their start. Compromise seems to be a low quota that will increase progressively as the domestic pools gets better.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even I don't think making Canadians domestic accross the board is necessary, however, they should be on Canadians clubs and Americans should count as Internationals on those clubs. That's more fair for all parties and the fact that the teams are based in Canada with the CSA sanction could be a viable clause to start making it happen.

19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now the CPL goalposts move. If you go for quality right away and it's not as good as MLS but better than the NASL or USL why exactly would fans in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal be keen to sign up for that? I mean there are over 25k heading to those stadiums on average today. If you start with lower quotas so it grows, how is that worse than waiting for established MLS teams with academies crank out players who are quota exempt league wide? If you don't have faith in the ability those organizations have to identify, nurture, and move players on then that's a completely different issue. There is still TFC2, VWC2, and whatever Montreal is doing providing a pro pipeline. Having a couple more teams would, I'm sure, help. However, the problem is not the lack of Canadian content as much as it's this being over 10 years too late and people associated with the CPL project coming to the realization that it's hard to be premier when the three best teams in the three biggest cities can't play in the league.

There's also a much simpler way to up the Canadian content. Make the requirements for the Canadian cup force them to play more Canadian players. If you can't comply, no chance at a CCL entry. Make it such that those players have to registered on the official league roster. It'll hurt those teams on the field and possibly at the gate, but it's cheaper and creates an easy distinction. The welsh teams in England don't play in the welsh cup so you've got that option too. If it matters then they opt in. If not, then the CPL wins the nationalist crowd.

20. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    This thing is as much a batshit lunatic as Tinfoil Teddy, as shown by the number of posts its made over a short period of time. This thing was pulling this same shit over at the Red Patch Boys forum under the non member username TFC07, and most of the people there were calling it out over it's questionable logic. And it kept responding by being more truculent and obnoxious, just like it's doing right now. Either it's got a mental problem that's beyond help, or it's trolling big time.

Trust me, the Canadians over there don't take this little shit seriously, so nobody here should do likewise.

PTFC in KCMO, JasonMa and billf repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like another Canuck to respond to this thread. How will Canadians respond to teams being mainly comprised of Canadians given this?
    upload_2017-4-24_18-48-30.png
    I think a combined NASL/USL squad could beat that ranking. And how are Canadian teams going to attract overseas players? I can't see a team in Hamilton, which is the size of Albuquerque, and within an hour of Toronto forking out MLS, or even NASL wages.

Believe me, I'd love to see a strong Canadian league but this thread is about MLS breaking up and I can't see it.

HailtotheKing and billf repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in terms of a national league making a national team stronger, the BL helped West Germany but they didn't do that badly when their leagues were regional.

Switzerland 1954 Champions
    Sweden 1958 Fourth place
    Chile 1962 Quarter-final

23. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
    Azerbaijan
    Mar 28, 2017
    The Dinner Table
    #173 Lentil Soup with Beans, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Deputy General Secretary
    Earl Cochrane: Canadian soccer executive, who has previously worked the Canadian Soccer Association, D.C. United, and Toronto FC. MLS!

Joe Guest (CSA Director of Officials)/Deputy General Secretary
    Canadian FIFA official at the United States Soccer Federation's National Referee Camp in Los Angeles, California's Home Depot Center. MLS!

Jason deVos Director of Development
    1993–1996 Montreal Impact

Victor Montagliani~ from Vancouver, BC.
    Wonder if he would promote the d5 Vancouver Colombus Team he used to play for to D1? Nah bet he would rather work with the owners of the Whitecaps.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC is owned by a group of four investors; Greg Kerfoot, Steve Luczo, Jeff Mallett, and Steve Nash. The group has a collective net worth over $2 billion.

Montreal Impact FC ~Lino Saputo and family $5.24 billion

Toronto FC~ Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment $2.465 billion.

Thats a lot of bills to fight with.

billf repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure I grasp all of the above but even with a lower quota, Canadian players will start and see more consistent minutes enabling them to see more minutes and develop than in MLS. That's the whole point.

You seem to dismiss the fact that MLS refuse to expand further in Canada. Just because of that fact, MLS is insufficient for Canada soccer needs and goals.

CPL can still be Premier without those clubs. They don't have the monopoly on their markets. Toronto CPL is coming. Once Quebec City and Ottawa goes to CPL, a Montreal investor will want a team. Victoria and Calgary will attract a Surrey investor to put a team there. (Surrey is right next to Vancouver)

CPL will be in the 3 markets, the debate we're having is if and at what point will the CPL will want the monopoly on the entire Canadian market without MLS competition.

That's clearly insufficient and you know it

25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I assure you I'm not trolling. Just providing a inside different point of view. Amusing that you don't like people disagreeing with you and immediately accuse them of trolling.