Will Hollywood United bring a bit more exposure to the USOC?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by BakedAlaskan, May 29, 2008.

1. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to figure that at least a celebrity news show will show a little piece on their game with Portland. If not, then Anthony LaPaglia needs a new agent.

FSC should do their match with the Timbers. That would be pretty sweet.

2. Adair

Adair New Member

May 11, 2008
    I doubt anyone will even notice. It might get a mention in the local Portland paper but beyond that no one is going to care. If they pull off an upset it might be news...

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    USA TODAY might notice.

4. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    The HUGS could play Portland topless and no one outside of the 4,000 that would show up will care.

...which is sad because some of us actually enjoy the idea of the US Open Cup.

The sad thing is that the friendly between PTFC and Juventus Primavera is getting more publicity. Doesn't make sense to me...I'd rather see a meaningful cup tie than an exhibition against a bunch of kids.

5. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    I think the USOC needs some time, but is now going the right direction with the CCL tie in (hope that stays).

What is needed is a great feel-good cinderella story of a lower tier team making a good showing in the CCL or better.

6. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown

There was a tie-in once before, somewhere in the early part of this decade, I believe. Lot of good that did the USOC...

7. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USOC has had nearly a century (more if you add in the Challenge Cup dating back to 1895). I hope it does get some exposure, but I'm not holding my breath.

Up the Timbers!

8. maloney

maloney New Member

May 30, 2008
    here's the thing that people don't realize about hollywood united. the actors and musicians don't play on their open cup team. they only play in the charity games...and those are the games that get media exposure.
    the team in the cup is much different so don't expect to play against your favorite guitar player or movie star. most of the guys on the team have played professionally in the US or elsewhere. as a matter of fact, i believe more players on the hollywood roster have played professionally than the portland team.

9. Adair

Adair New Member

May 11, 2008
    Every single one of the Portland Timbers players plays professionally right now. They all have contracts that pay them to play. That is how it works in USL-1. It is a professional league after all.

10. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    After losing to Rochester and Miami, I don't think we're "playing professionally." :mad:

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    But they do have Matt Taylor.

12. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former Timber, and he's not the only one. Yeah, It's going to be fun with the entire stadium GA, so the Army may do something kind of bizarre. Here's to hoping we come out with a win.

13. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually, as far as I can tell only 3 members of the current Hollywood United main team have ever been anywhere near pro: Matt Taylor (as previously mentioned), Brian Dunseth (who used to play for several teams in MLS), and Raul Palomares, who has been with Galaxy's reserves this year. Another one of their players, Alex Bengard, is a former US youth international... but other than that, the rest are trying-to-get-theres and never-quite-made-its.

I wouldn't be surprised to see LaPaglia on the bench as the sub keeper though.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I believe there are 5, and only one is anything worth worrying about, BUT they are likely better ON PAPER than any USASA or PDL side in the tournament. Portland has their work cut out for them, especially with a SERIOUSLY depleted side. Some guys who haven't even seen the bench this season could play and not because we aren't taking them seriously, but because of injuries. It's been a rough and fast start for the Timbers... but...

Hollywood United will only bring more exposure to the USOC if they get at least past one MLS side.

15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Bengard played seven games with the Galaxy and turned up with Toronto's reserves last year. Not sure if he was a guest player. He also has tons of USL experience.

Jason Boyce has 19 games of MLS experience.

Derk Droze played overseas.

Cameron Dunn and Mike Munoz played with the USL's California Victory last year.

Dunn, Eder Robles and Javier Barragan have been on the Chivas USA roster.

16. andrewb

andrewb New Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Portland 2 HOLLYWOOD UNITED 3!

The first major upset in the 2008 USOC!

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Re: Will Hollywood United bring a bit more exposure to the USOC? [R]

Matty Taylor scored two spot kicks.

18. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    Re: Will Hollywood United bring a bit more exposure to the USOC? [R]

Tough loss at a tough time for us. Also tough that it came at the foot of a former Timber that did nothing of note for us last year.

That's the cup though. I still love this tournament and hope that HUFC clobbers Seattle.

19. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watching the USL Live stream of the Portland-Hollywood game. Gotta love Anthony LaPaglia jumping around with excitement like a kid at his first game after the final whistle :D

Congrats Hollywood - I love stories like this!

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I liked the Announcer after the Timbers scored their first goal.

POUR SOME SUGAR ON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

1-0 Timbers. LOL :D

21. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    FA Cup, Coupe de France, German Cup, Amstel Dutch Cup, US Open Cup, Etc., etc., etc., These are great stories that happens around this time of year.

22. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, was it me, or did Matt Taylor COMPLETELY flub Hollywood's first PK? It's almost like he was going for a power laces shot , but hit the ball with his shin instead of the top of his foot, and it bobbled into the net past Jordan James, who just stood there like he was thinking "this shot is so bad it's going to go wide".

23. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is very much not how it looked from where I was sitting. Regardless, as Portland and Yakima have been eliminated, I'll be cheering for HUFC because... well, they bested us, good for them. They actually brought some fans out too. There were 4 there cheering and occasionally singing. That was cool.

24. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And that side is...I would reckon...Chivas. USA. If the guys get lucky.
    Of course, they have to get past the Sounders first.
    Perhaps the answer to who is this year's FC Roma is solved.

25. SeattleSupporter

Aug 17, 2004
    North Sound Ultra
    Sounders 6
    HUFC - 0

:cool: