Will Cooper play for the U.S. or England?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by robchap628, Aug 28, 2004.

1. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    I know Kenny Cooper has dual citizenship holding both U.S. and British passports so it leaves me to wonder if he breaks out with ManU and becomes a serious star, will he decide to play for England where he will be living assuming ManU has him, or will he play for the U.S. where he has never played on youth national teams and never really been noticed? I have to think that if he turns out to be a serious star he will play for England.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting question. I wonder why no one has brought it up before.

3. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know, I think he might be more of a mainstay with the US team if he is a break out star.

4. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Going with the premise that Cooper "breaks out with ManU and becomes a serious star" I think he would have sufficient quality to play regularly for England. England is lacking in skilled, big forwards. Shearer is int. retired, after him they have Heskey and Beattie. If Cooper was a regular with Man Utd, I would assume that he would be better than these two. With his size and assumed skill, he would be a great target for Beckham's crosses, not to mention a sizeable forward to win aerial balls for Owen and/or Rooney.

So if Cooper makes it as a regular at Man Utd I believe he would be good enough to be a mainstay for England.

5. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this has been talked about before and we really have no clue who he would choose if given the opportunity

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question! Someone call up Tim Howard and tell him to start 'advising' Cooper!! ;)

7. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe he can advise Rossi as well :)

8. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Obviously England. Why would he settle for a rubbish football nation like the USA when he could represent the Holy Grail of football nations? Royalty vs. peasants folks.

9. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Try not to forget Alan Smith...

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Who cares. If he wants to play for England and they want him, fine. If he wants to play for the U.S. and our coach at the time wants him, fine.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Well, if he comes on and scores goals in bushels in the EPL, then I'm sure that Bruce will find a spot for him by easing Stewart out of the lineup in four or five years.

12. brgkmp

brgkmp New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Shreveport
    when you guys say: become a regular at Man Utd, do you mean after this year since he is on loan at Academica?

13. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Hysterics can't start to early.

I say nih...nih...nih

icky icky pa wang neeee wonggggg!!!!!!!!!!

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And now I suppose you want us to make you a shrubbery!

PS:You left out f'tang f'tang.

15. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Why don't we worry about this when the time comes? Pending a sensational goal-scoring tear in Portugal I can't see him getting called up for either national team in the next year.

16. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    JSC, Houston, TX
    He should play for the team that needs him more.

England.

17. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. And I agree with Andy's and the Big Ticket's points...who cares right now? What will be will depend on future circumstances. Just a bit too soon to get one's shorts in a wad over this subject.

18. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    10 reasons cooper wont play fo england

1.Rooney
    2.Defoe
    3.Smith
    4.Owen
    5.Ameobie
    6.Beattie
    7.Bently
    8.Vassle
    9.C.Cole
    10.Stead

dont get me wrong there are plenty of americans, england what like to have but i dont see cooper as one

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    If he ever reaches the international stage he would rather play for the country of HIS birth....the USA

20. jelliot

jelliot Member

Jun 10, 2002
    DC, Adams Morgan
    In 2010 I believe he will be playing for the Rochester Rhinos or maybe even the Richmond Kickers.