Will all the real grups please stand up? please stand up? please stand up?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Sachin, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excellent link. and i seem to fit most of those. can't wait to finish reading it, but I can't right now. I'm at home. I'll finish reading it a work when I can get paid to read it. sweet.
    ;)

2. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
  3. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, this is scary. Slowly everyone's identity is being replaced with the same anti-identity.

Every u10 soccer practice I look around at the parents and kids, and I see these people. And the kids... some of the boys have longer hair than the girls.

Edit:

4. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i substitute teach at a very yuppie high school sometimes. it's northwest Orange County, where the median home price is about 400K. not exactly Newport Beach, but sufficiently upscale that i see BMWs in student parking.

i am the same age as the grandparents of some of these kids, so i'm completely out of it, except that i never have grown up. i don't listen to Death Cab for Cutie, but i do own The Postal Service's CD. go figure.

anyway, i cannot believe some of the kids' attire. whiny yuppie white boys with their jeans so low that four inches of plaid boxers are exposed. girls with enough skin exposed to give a movie a PG-13 rating. and many of them prefer rap to rock. i guess the parents believe that their children must "engage the culture".

5. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being 26, every experience you mentioned I bascially lived through.

It speaks a lot to what sells in the media. People gravitate to sex, minority counter cultures, poverty. It's not esxclusively the kids either, it is also the parents.

Everyone is so bored with their lives [over abundance of leisure time] that they are basically "performing".

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes I wear my sambas to work. Does that make me one of those guys? Because I really don't want to be one of those guys.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some of the article is true. If I stacked my ipod up against my college-aged nephew's, the music probably wouldn't be all that different. And he's actually scared of some of the music I used to listen to like the DKs and Laibach.

When I was listening to post-punk music in the 80s, my brother who was weaned on Led Zeppelin, The Stones & The Eagles in the 70s thought I was a retard. There's not as big a generation gap for sure today.

Btw - if you spend $400 on distressed jeans that disintegrate in a month, you should be beaten with sticks.

8. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sambas are 50 bucks, 26 quid, 37.6783847326* euros. that's chicken feed. and you drink proper coffee, not that stupid Starbucks swill. you are so safe.

*based on the purchase of 100K euros.

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they colored sambas? Or just plain black?

...and are they the normal nubuck suede? or the fancy Samba Gazelles? ;)

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a good substitute teacher is a part-time performance artist. a really good full time teacher is a full time performance artist. :)

11. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those are strong accusations, pardner! ;)

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Black sambas only? Check.
    No trendo-chic-cutie-pie coffee? Check.
    Is more distressed than his jeans? Check.
    Brother thinks he's retard? Check.

Sounds like I'm safe.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

agree with that. I have two pairs of distressed jeans. but they were $20 old navy jeans I bought about 8 years ago. they've become distressed the old-fashioned way. I earned those holes.

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 1996 i bought a pair of jeans from Eddie Bauer that went with me to Finland. i wore them to help paint a shed on an island in the Finnish archipelago. they have three small drops of redwood paint on them. the bottoms are frayed to perfection. the pockets are worn so thin, i cannot keep coin in them -- fortunately they, like all proper denims, have a coin pocket.

i'll sell them for 25£ or 37€. shipping is extra. they are size 35" waist and 34" length, shrunk down a bit. they are faded to an almost uniform E5ECFF.