Alert: Will AFC get to keep its 4 automatic berth places to FIFA WORLD CUP?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by sahbekham_pactwinner, Jun 14, 2010.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So, in 1998 and 2006 was your country in turmoil again? I diodn't see any serious damage being done in those years that you did qualify. Why would it be different now?

2. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Re: Increase AFC's spot 5.5 for WC 2014.

I see the Iranians are slowly coming back. :D

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England

It's funny, they seem to see the success of Korea Republic and Japan as there own.

I like the way they are calling for more spots if Iran and KSA get there act together, but no calls for more slots if anyone else does well!!

4. cloche

cloche New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    Qingdao Jonoon

North Korea made the AFC look bad.

5. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

IMO there are a few other teams in the cup that would have looked just as bad if not worse if they had that horror group.

6. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Half of CONMEBOL already goes to the world cup. That goes to 60% of the Confed when they're hosting. Maybe if CONMEBOL absorbs OFC.
    But I don't think they or UEFA are in need of any more slots. Honduras helped reinforce the stereotype that CONCACAF is a 2-country confed, but CONCACAF is deserving of a round 4 and CONMEBOL of a round 5 (or 6 for 2014). I'd keep AFC at 4.5. Maybe drop CAF to 3 even.

DPRK did as well as can be expected in that group.

Bingo. I don't care what the whiny Americans say -- North Korea was in the Group of Death, no contest. All 3 of those sides belong in the knockout rounds.
    I don't even know how ESPiN claimed US was in one of the toughest groups without snickering. Algeria and Slovenia ? And the powerhouse is forever-underachieving England? Sorry, no, that's one of the easiest groups in the tournament.

Anyway, this thread should be finished. CAF have proven themselves, hands down, to be the weakest link. On their own turf and 3 of their countries are finishing bottom of groups... only 1 of 6 advancing... and the first time in WC history that the host has not advanced.
    UEFA's numbers are no better than AFC either. Just something to consider. They would probably be better off with a round number, like 12 or 14.

7. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005
    i tend to agree, maybe if AFC sends their bottom 15 teams to join with OFC then New Zealand can join AFC.

8. RybbRasta

RybbRasta Red Card

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

In 2006 AFC had 4 countries in World Cup. None make it out of group, 3 at bottom of group. AFC countries have exited groups only in 1966, 1994, 2002 (host countries) and 2010... In 1998 3 Asian bottom of group, none make it out. Up to 1990 all Asia teams are bottom of groups (except 1966).

Suddenly you are powerhouse? South Korea almost not make it out versus Nigeria (horrible misses). Only Japan did good job.

Asia deserve 4,5 places, but not more. Remember New Zealand beat Asia country number 5. One World Cup is not enough to change who has what. If that be true than Asia should lose spot after 2006.

9. RybbRasta

RybbRasta Red Card

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

You write:

Then:
    Ivory Coast was one of three in group of death. You say they deserve to play in knockout phase, but than say CAF weakest link? It make no sense.

Nigeria also almost make it out ahead of South Korea and anyone who see match know that South Korea not better than Nigeria.

If CAF weakest link than why no Asian country in 1/8 round in 2006? Maybe Asian weak link, but just have good cup?

10. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's just immoral, treating OFC like some sort of garbage can.

Also how would you expect countries like Chinese Taipei, Guam and Pakistan to travel to Solomon Islands for a world cup qualifier?

11. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada
    by erosion and volcanic eruptions, genius. that's the only way for a country to travel to another country

j/k:D

12. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Because 2/6 would've been so much better.
    The fact remains that Ivory Coast -- on their own continent -- could not go through.

13. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

last time I checked Iran was under the same theocratic dictatorship in 98 and 02 as it is now.

buddy, where the hell are you from?? Always on diff sections. At the very least I have a country and I am proud of my country.
    Why are you starting shit between Iran and Korea now?? Are we too much for you? Do you need back up or what?

14. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique

Yes we should keep our 4 auto-births.

15. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

:D

I just had an image of a robotic midwife ripping a baby out of the womb right about now.

16. ittihad4ever redded

Jun 15, 2010
    KSA

Bahrain was just unlucky not to qualify. They missed a crucial penalty kick in the 2nd leg.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3EtjXFwB0"]YouTube- Mark Paston Penalty Save Vs Bahrain[/ame]

17. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

They say luck is a skill. the Kiwis won fair and sqaure. :eek:

18. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I think 4.5 is good enough as of now. If we can continue performing well in 2014, then we can talk about expansion of berths.

19. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Agreed. Europe got 6 out of 13 through to the second round. We got 2 out of 4.5 through (Roughly the same percentage). CONMEBOL got 5 out of 4.5 through (100%), if anything CONMEBOL is the priority for getting more slots. If we can get 3 or 4 through next time we may actually have a case.

20. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    4.5 is enough for now. CONMEBOL can get more if they're willing to merge with CONCACAF.

I think we need to change how our current AFC operates. Its inept management is just appalling. It needs to do better promoting and improving soccer in 2nd tier footballing countries like India and ASEAN nations. We need more competition. TBH, as a Korean fan, I really don't care if our spots are reduced to 4 as I'm certain we'll make it unless these India+ASEAN improve.

21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Once we get 3 teams in the last 16 of the FWC in one tournament with one going to the R8 at least, then there's a legitimate claim for the 5th automatic spot.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England

So, they are under the same dictatorship as in 98 and 02, but for some reason, you will make some damage in future editions of the world cup. Why didn't you make damage before?

You having a coup??

Oh, and in response to your other reply, no, I'm not starting sh!t between Iran and Korea, just stating the fact that you call for more slots if Iran and KSA do well, but no more slots for all of Asia. So, it's just about you and no one else.

P.S please reply to the ACL thread, i've been forever waiting to see what yo usay to the FATCS that i gave you before.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

Guys, let's settle down. KSA and Iran were winning matches at the WC in the 90s when Korea and Japan were doing nothing, and in the 00s the situation has been reversed.

All teams go through ups and downs. When it comes to keeping places the rest of the world doesn't care which countries are doing well - it just sees AFC as succeeding or failing. If we want AFC to have as many places as possible we should stick together and be happy for all success achieved by any members.

24. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

*AFC Fails squabble roll*

:(

25. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

Bahrain was lucky to even get that PK.

I'm not sure Bahrain would have achieved what NZ did at this WC anyway.