Will 2014 be a banner year to sign high end talent post world cup?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MightyMouse, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I know a lot of players want to eventually come to MLS but don't want to make the move for various reasons and I am sure one of the main reasons is because they still want to be in the mix for the national team selection for the next world cup. Which leads me to believe that after the world cup in 2014 that signing players of the highest caliber will be easier than ever. I can foresee players signing with MLS for 2 year contracts allowing them to play in MLS for 2 years and then after their contracts are up switching back to Europe to latch onto another "serious team in a serious league" for the next world cup.

For some players the 2014 world cup will be their last serious attempt at playing for their respective national teams so they may come to MLS as their swan song. One player that comes to mind is Kaka, who apparently is very vocal about wanting to play in the USA, just... not now... maybe after 2014... you know... when he is "older and on the downside of his abilities" well into his 30's. I am sure many would still jump at the prospect of a Kaka at 32-33 but I wish MLS was a little more ruthless at signing players at a younger age, say, Kaka at 30. Yes I am aware that MLS is not the Prem, or La Liga, or the Bundesliga or anywhere near that level just yet. Still, I can dream and so can the rest of MLS fans, that one day this league will take the challenge of winning INTERNATIONAL TROPHIES via CONCACAF or even Copa Libertadores (which MLS has been mulling over for the past several years). In order to really take it to the Mexican teams, or even dream of beating Argentinian and Brazilian teams in a serious competitionl, MLS has to draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough that they are serious NOW more than ever. So far most of these signings are still trying to put butts in the seats, which is fine for now, but eventually they will need to squeeze the best out of younger international players closer to the prime of their lives to really take it to the next level.

Hopefully 2014 will be the year in which MLS does this, drawing the line in the sand, and really getting serious about all of its teams. I can envision that post world cup 2014 MLS starts to open up the pocket book, maybe go for a 4th dp, and increase the cap for a more competitive edge in comparison to its international rivals south of the border. What do you all say?

2. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signing players after a major tournament isn't a great idea. Guys who have a good WC end up commanding a salary premium and often get signed at an overpriced salary. Player signings need to be rational, rather than being based on WC buzz.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear this same idea gets raised every four years on this forum.

4. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid we debate anything at all we should just close down the forums and have bigsoccer disappear then. (rolls eyes)

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should bump the thread from 4 years ago?

6. MightyMouse

Jun 19, 2003
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What thread from 4 years ago? Geez. He can't even remember if there was a thread or not but whatever. I think time is ripe for MLS to do better on signings.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will depend on the TV contracts MLS signs in 2014 (not sure if they end at the end of 2014 or at the end of 2013).

But do not expect Messi or CR9 in MLS.