Wigan Athletic Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Premier League Clubs' started by Hierarchyfive, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wigan Athletic Thread

I am curious to how people on Big Soccer think Wigan will end fare during the rest of the season. I personally think they will not get relegated, but I think they will drop a long way down from the fifth place spot they currently occupy.

Also I would like to find out if there are any hardcore Latics fans cruising the big soccer boards.

2. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Wigan Athletic Thread

Hello :cool:

As for league position -

We'll finish between 15th and 17th i reckon.

I was actually having a converation about this with some friends last night (2 Liverpool fans, 2 Mancheser United fans and an Everton fan) all 5 of them think we will finish higher than what i reckon but as long as it isnt 18th, 19th or 20th then i dont mind.

3. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net

good lucky ..you have good coach ..and very good player ..

like ..Chimbonda - roberts ..

but i think need moore new talent or very good player ..

dont be like Ipswich Town 2001 ..sell he star and breack down ..

4. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York

I reckon about 13th or so - you probably wont have another long good run again but you have the manager and squad to keep picking up points consecutively

5. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'd still take 17th to be perfectly honest. As long as we are safe with a game to spare i'll be happy. Although the end of February should see us safe. Especially considering some of the "easy" fixtures and so many homes in our next 9-

Charlton (h), Man City (h), West Ham(a), Blackburn(h), Birmingham (a), West Brom (h), Middlesbrough (a), Everton (h), Bolton (a).

January should also give us the oppertunity to bring in some quality players. Plenty cash to spare after so many decided not to take the risk in summer (i wonder how many are regretting that decision now).

Like you say i cant see us winning so many on the trot again - although we won 6 on the trot - something which had only been done on 10 occasions in Premier League history anyway.

6. Jilleen

Jilleen New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    East Coast, Canada

I am a closet Wigan Athletic supporter -- mainly because the always delightful Steph Henchoz is currently playing for the club. Because they have done so well in the beginning of the season, it has been quite easy for me to see many of their games in Canada (where I now live). While they are in a bit of a slump right now, they still have ample skills and drive; I very much doubt they will go down this season, though it is still *very* early (as we all well know). Having said that I do somewhat support Wigan (or, more accurately, Steph Henchoz (tee hee hee)), I am truly hoping they lose pitifully to my beloved Rovers come NYE. Can anyone say pie-throwing contest?

7. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net

great match to day agianst charlton ..

win 3\0 and camara scored all goals ..

Congratulations

8. Faz!

Faz! New Member

Dec 18, 2005

Del Horno was commenting that Wigan was England's Osasuna in a newspaper column, and how they had done well. The thing with tiny clubs is that people usually tend 2 underestimate them, and teams always relaxed more than usual when they face these so-called tiny clubs, hence why Wigan and Osasuna sitting pretty at the top or thereabouts. But small clubs will forever be exposed as such, when injuries, suspensions hit them, and they do not have enough experience back-up players.

The thing with Wigan is that the fixture list force upon them Tottenham, Arsenal, mAN Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool back-to-back. And 4 losses in a row is going to hurt their morale, no matter what. Paul Jewell has done a great job with Wigan so far, and i hope they beat the drop.

9. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think it's wonderful that Wigan are doing so well, I love to see the "underdog" teams having great years, and I truly hope they manage to keep their season going and hopefully clinch a UEFA Cup place, either by their league position or winning the League Cup.

Romance stories like this are what make football great in my eyes. I truly hope Reading go up into the Premiership next season also, and I hope they do well. Unfashionable teams in the top division always bring great entertainment value. I remember when we had Swindon and Oxford and Notts County up there, Barnsley in 97/98, Bradford managing to stay up in 2000, and both Cambridge and Preston narrowly lost playoff finals. Good stuff!

10. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Go Wigan, go!!! You have to love how a first time premiership club is doing this year. Who would believe it? They've had a dream first-half of a season. Hopefully they won't collapse (high unlikely) and be relegated. They're just the average ability, but good team... team.

They actually can go out and purchase players... amazing.

11. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net
    well if you keep great player like H camara and J Robert ..chabonda ..

but you only need new contract in MF and DF ..

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, you've hit the nail on the head there, haven't you.

We'll see if they can keep their good players in the off season, if somebody...'bigger'...comes in for them.
    Now, whilst Wigan have better financial clout than most smaller clubs, it won't be a case of having to sell to realise a financial gain to make further player purchases, it'll be entirely down to the players themselves.

If Bolton put in a word to Camara, that they'd like him to play for them next season, quite probably in Europe too,..............well..............

13. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bolton wanted Camara when we did. He did however only make one of their three criteria-

1. He's foreign - check

2. He's over 30 - X

3. Free transfer only - X

Someone like Bolton quite simply couldnt afford him.

14. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    Best of luck in the final!

15. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Wigans wants to buy Elmander from Bröndby. I read that in the swedish press.

David whelan says; "Elmander is a class player and if we can lure him over we will."

Elmander himself is not interested to move anywhere a world cup year. Who knows where he will go after wc but maybe wigan do have a chance then?

I think Wigan are a fun brave team to watch and i love it when underdogs beat bigger clubs. :)

16. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is never going to happen now. Not enough time until the window shuts.

Those quotes are probably from the summer when we where intrested but Brondby were asking for something stupid like £7m.

17. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I admire your squad for their heart.
    Best of luck to you in the Carling Cup final.

18. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dont we all :cool:

I know i'm being biased but i've never known a team to have such work rate, stamina but most of all TEAM SPIRIT. That squad would run through a brick wall for any of the other players if they where asked too.

After the goal Jimmy Bullard shouted "Lee....Lee....Lee McCullouch" into the camera. That for me sums it up, they've just done that to get to the cup final and yet are showing concern for one of their mates who is laid up in hospital 250miles away.

19. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Well, i dunno. It looked like a recent comment.

Elmander said " My playing style would work in PL, and wigan is a very, very good team. I like wigan, it's always something happening in their game"

I think there is a huge possibilty that Elmander is moving to Wigan next season.

20. Leedsutd12

Leedsutd12 New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    Newton
    before this season me and 5 of my friends all made predictions on what the tables would look like at the end of the season and everyone except for me had them getting relegated. i put them in 10th. i knew they were going to be the surprise team this season because paul jewell is an excellent coach and knows how to get players to excel and play their best. Jason Roberts didnt succeed last time in the prem because he was on WBA...they dont belong in the prem...but hes a quality striker along with camara. Pollit has been fantastic and so has chimbonda. hes gotta be a contendor for mvp if he keeps up the form hes in. goodluck to wigan in the cup final im rooting for them.

21. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thats probably most likely. We do tend to keep an eye on a player for 12months or more before signing them.

Only problem could be if he goes to the World Cup and does well. A bigger club may want him then.

22. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When will David Connolly be back? And how could you accuse ToonUSA of "supporting multiple clubs" when you are doing the same thing LarsSon

23. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Go Wigan, go!!! You have to love this team. First year ever in the Barclay's and they're in a position to find a way into Europe. Paul Jewell must be smart as hell.

He and the admin have gone out and gotten all the right players and they can fight it out with anyone.

Will Man U field their best team in the Carling Cup final though?

Hope Wigan pulls off the upset.

24. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of course Manchester United will field their strongest team, they have been doing for the last few rounds.

Stongest team or not we have a real chance of turning them over.

theworm2345 - The sooner the better. We have not strikers to play against the red Scousers at the weekend so hopefully DC will make a recovery before then.

25. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Any new news on Connolly?