Whydoes the Concacaf CL have 4 teams from U.S. and Mexico??

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Moises, Oct 1, 2008.

1. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO, no. You're misunderstanding my statement. I know what the qualifying spots root from (1 spot for MLS Cup champion 1 spot for the Supporters Shield winner which is essentially the league winner or "super lider" of the season, 1 spot for the MLS Cup runner up, and 1 spot for the U.S. Open Cup winner), I just don't know why USSF got 4, or what the federation did, aside from guaranteeing more TV revenue, to deserve it.

Two spots do NOT come from the Superliga. The Superliga is a joint, friendly tournament organized by FMF and SUM (the marketing arm of MLS and the US nats) and has nothing, NOTHING to do with the Confederation. So I would really like to know where it was you got an idea like that from...

2. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    i just thought that two teams came from superliga

3. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my friend, your assumption was misguided.

4. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    so....
    - houston was MLS cup champion
    - D.C. United was Supporter's shield winner (most pts at end of MLS season)
    - Revolution was MLS cup Runner up & open Cup winner
    - Chivas , since REvs was MLS cup runner up & Open Cup winner, this spot given to the runner up of supporters shield (chivas)?? so, no love for the open cup runner up even though revs was the open cup winner and had nothing to do with the supporter's shield???

5. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF chose to alocate the spots that way, take it up with Sunil.

6. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to correct you, but it was me who allocated the spots. I am in charge of everything US Soccer.

7. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive my ignorance.

8. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Re: Why?

Well, of course I am comparing them to Mexico since that's the only other federation that gets four slots. And the difference between MLS and FMF's performance in the extinct CCC is nothing but abysmal.

9. Tav315

Tav315 New Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    First, I want to clear up the # of teams that FMF and MLS get. Both leagues get 2 teams with a possible third and fourth team. Which IMO is actually not bad considering the revenue and the quality of teams that they can provide. If you do not believe me on the # of teams do the research. You can argue that the Islanders and Impact belong to MLS but they actually play a preliminary tournament which they must either win as is the case for Impact or place second or third as in the case for the Islanders.For the FMF cruz azul and pumas of unam had to play preliminary games and win to earn them a spot in the tournament.Houston Dynamo and the REVS played theirs too but they lost so they did not qualify to the group stages. IMO I actually prefer the current format because its going not only help improve the quality of players and teams that play this tournament but the leagues they participate in as well. Remember this competition is supposed to be modeled after the UEFA champions league so its only right that the current format stays in place. Another benefit from the current format is the interest that can be garnered from european teams as they can start to look at our players and see that they are getting more field time and can only be beneficial for the rigorous schedule that the european teams go through.

10. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might want to double check your resources.

11. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Belize should get at least 3 teams.

12. destruktion

destruktion BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 30, 2006
    Woodland,CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the USL could get spots in this crap touranament then the Primera A, should hava a chance to have a spot.

13. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with that, but is there any sort of tournament where they have to compete against top teams? I do not think so.

Also, they USL teams that are in, are from non US countries.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL does not get any spots in the CCL. The USL teams that made it did so by winning (or making it through) qualifying tournaments. In Montreal's case, that included beating a MLS team (Toronto).

It's possible no USL team will be in the 2009-2010 CCL.

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was a Mexican equivalent of the U.S. Open Cup, then they'd have a chance.

16. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing comes from Superliga.

17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you admit that? Get a rope.

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a competition in Mexico where Primera A plays against first division teams? If so -- then Mexico can allot a slot to that compeitition's winner.

To remind everyone -- there is no USA USL team in CCL. Only way a USA USL team can get in CCL is to win the US Open Cup.

So there is not special provision allowing US 2d division teams into CCL.

19. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I DONT KNOW WHY mexico and USA get 4 spots ,there should be 4 mexicans,3 costa ricans and 2 americans. :rolleyes: but you know how concacaf works....

20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I'll disagree with you there on the costa rican spots. 2 is just fine for them. Alajuela crashed out in the preliminaries !! agree with you with only 2 spots for the united stadians :D

21. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So then who do the other 2 spots go to? I could see maybe the US getting 3.5 and Costa Rica getting 2.5. Maybe.

22. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico

They currently have 4 spots and both mexican teams that played the preliminaries destroyed hankook Verdes and Harbor View. Like I said Mexico has 4 spots and all 4 teams are still realistically in the running to qualify to the quarterfinals. Other than Honduras, Mexico is the only nation with more than 1 team in the CCL that has all their teams able to qualify. not to mention the history with 23 Concacaf championships that mexico has.

23. Tav315

Tav315 New Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Check my resources???? on what??? the number of spots they get???? mexico and the US both get 2 Guaranteed spots...

24. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no you can't Not only are they form different leagues, but completely different federations. Anybody attempting to argue otherwise should be shaved, sterilized and exiled.

Uhm, the Dynamo neither played any qualifiers, nor are they eliminated from the tournament. They had an automatic berth into the group stages based on the fact that they are the defending MLS champs, and are actually performing respectfully well. So yeah, check your sources.

25. destruktion

destruktion BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 30, 2006
    Woodland,CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Concacaf is a freakin mess just keeps on not making sense.