Why we don't get to host the 2018 world cup

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Dec 2, 2010.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Today's the day isn't it, might as well do a play by play thread on the subject.

Ever since I found out that the Dutch are the only country out of all the bids that has told FIFA it won't comply with tax exemption rules, I pretty much knew for certain that we weren't going to get it HA!

Still I'm curious to find out who's going to vote for us.

Does anyone know when the first voting round is?

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yesterday proves the british public will fall for anything.

What was more insane?

Dave lobbying a criminal? Or the meme that only johnny foreigners bid is corrupt :p

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I think all bids are corrupt. It's just that the Dutch-Belgian bid has less money to spend than the others hehehe.

What cracks me up about the English bid is that now they're all of a sudden bigging up cultural diversity as a big plus!

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    As for the play by play bid, all bids have had their presentations this morning, the Dutch-Belgian bid of course ridiculed and belittled again by the English media but what else is new.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All I know is that the fellow who heads our regional FIFA group CONCAF, Jack Warner, is more corrupt than the countries bidding to host the cup. He can be bought for a song and a dance.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh and Holland ain't buying anything that's the 'problem'.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Pretty funny blunder by Blatter who congratulated Cruyff on his birthday (his birthday is in April).

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    HA! Teehee1!!

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Okay, so it's official. Russia got WC2018 and Qatar got WC2022. Some FIFA personal got even filthier and richer. ******** FIFA.

10. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, we should just pull out of FIFA.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Qatar in particular is such a joke.THey've got 50,000 people who play football there! Unbloodybelievable.

I suggest we field Heracles for Qatar 2022, at least they're used to playing on artificial turf.

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Okay, who's up for setting up our own international football association?

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    There's bound to be some backlash, seriously. This is going to piss off just about every big football nation no end. Football in 40 plus degrees, six 50,000 plus stadiums for a population of one and a half million. It's just too ridiculous for words.

14. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't have a problem with the award to Russia, but Qatar, a farce.

15. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wish I made a bet, than I would have won some money. From the start I knew Russia would get it.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We apparently made it to the third round which is surprisingly far really.

17. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't have a problem with it being awarded to Russia, but it would have been brilliant had it gone to Holland and Belgium, and I would imagine the majority of fans attending would have enjoyed that as it would have been easy to get to stadiums and plenty of bars to go to as well.:D

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just read the decision. It all came down to money. Russian oligarchs plus a command and control government are exactly what FIFA wanted. Qatar has petrodollars out the wazoo. I guess we will see slow motion football in 2022 unless FIFA goes to some kind of rotating substitution system where players can come in and come out. Years ago (too many), our high school had an American football game at night when the temperature was about 41 C. Periodically, we would get desert winds in September and October that can spike the temperatures up this high. It's dry heat (probably just like in the mid-East) and much less problematic than what was seen in the 1994 WC here in the US when some matches were played at 37 C and high humidity. Trouble is you really need to stay hydrated and I wonder if FIFA will permit water breaks every 10 minutes (not bloody likely). To complete the story, I didn't have any problems playing football in that heat but then American football has all kinds of breaks when you can get water.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Qatar actually has considerably less football clubs and footballers than my hometown does. Hehehe.

20. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    not to mention it's going to be like 50 effing celcius at game time . . .

21. RWB1

RWB1 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Is there any information how much it costs the Russians and Qatari to bribe the FIFA? $ 1 million per member? Or even more?

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We know that the corrupt head of CONCACAF (the North America and Caribbean) organization comes much cheaper than that!

23. Gedonder

Gedonder Guest

This isn't right on so many levels, but I'm glad it won't happen in our nation. So it don't really matter. The only loser is the host -actually that is the normal citizen- but the dirty politicians and brainless idiots like Gullit don't really care about that.:rolleyes:

24. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have to say I also kinda laugh at England right now. The massive ego they had and claiming "they would take football back home." And the British media being very hostile as usual to all other countries. Drawing the shortest straw in the bid haha. Good riddance.

Also let's hope the world cups of 2018 and 2022 don't get any psychic animals who perfectly predict any match hype.

25. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Am I the only one content with this decision, especially the Qatar one? Qatar has the ability and money to build these amazing (and I mean amazing) stadiums in a place of the world that's crazy about futbol. This brings back fond memories of the last time Arabs won the World Cup. In 1998 :D