Why was there never a "Germany, 2nd viewing thread?" Have you re-watched?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by superdave, Aug 11, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not, why not?

For myself, I haven't re-watched. I started to 2 weeks ago, but got to doing something else.

It was such an epic match, I can't help but think a 2nd viewing will be anti-climactic.

I still haven't checked to see how far away from Frings' body his arm was.

2. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a 2nd viewing thread.

3. sparafucile2000

May 13, 2002
    Boston
    there was, but it probably got deleted along with everything else.

I've watched it 3 times, and keep wishing it was Mathis and not McBride on the end of that long pass. McBride whiffed on what could have been a breakaway. Donovan missed a couple of good chances, but at least they were good shots. Kahn was just too good on those saves.

The handball is debatable- peopel keep saying that the German didn't move his arm toward the ball. Notice, however, that he didn't HAVE to. The ball was already on an angle to hit his arm, and he looked the ball into his arm the whole way. Nevertheless, it's completely debatable, and we were the beneficiaries against Mexico on the hand of JOB.

Overall, great game that could have used a few more goals, but then again I say that about every soccer game.

4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    not that this in the same category but im not really watching game 5 of the '86 world series replays on ESPN Classic too much

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Are you sure it wasn't a replay of game 6.

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the first couple minutes again and see the "offside" on Donovan. A horrible call, on a play that would have given Donovan by far his best chance of the match. It made me feel even worse than the noncall on the handball.

7. ChangeT

ChangeT Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Chicago
    Hear, hear......

Yes I agree, I just sat down for a second viewing last night and it kills me (I still can't stop yelling at the screen!). A 1-on-1 with Kahn in the first 2 minutes of the match could have made it a totally different story.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched it three times that weekend and have not thought about it since then.

Might dig it up and show it to my team and see what they think. The Mexico game might be better for that though.

9. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2001
    New England
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.
    Now that would be incredibly painful to watch - even if you're not a Red Sox fan.
    But remember, Bob Stanley threw the game away, not Bill Buckner.
    Do I digress?
    I've watched the Germany game a few times. We definitely had plenty of chances. And, yes, Keller might have challenged the cross Ballack knocked in.
    Sanneh should have scored.
    Mathis was almost a hero.
    Donovan was excellent. Could've done more on his second chance but didn't have much angle. If there was ever a 'keeper who made the goal shrink in the minds of attackers, it was Kahn.

10. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Watched it a couple weeks ago.

I still am waiting for Reyna's midfield lob to go in.

11. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    edit: whoops

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yeah the first time around when i watched it i thought that ball was in. that was the game right there, few minutes left, point blank range. cant even talk about any hand balls. he missed that shot.

not blaming him for the loss, but you've got to make your chances, thats soccer.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I've watched the little video at the end about 20 times.