Why US soccer is underachieving

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by persianfootball, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Didn't even realise I had much of a 'profile', its been a while but I can't remember this place asking for my age, I wonder if I lied?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The right side of https://www.bigsoccer.com/members/crawleybus.231886/ says your age. Everybody has a Profile, but it's possible to stop other people from viewing it.

3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can also have your profile viewable but your age hidden. I tend to keep personal info on websites to a minimum. Not that my age is a secret (four decades young).

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 49 years old. I enjoy soccer, online message boards, and long walks on the beach.

owian and kinznk repped this.
  5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You can spot I am a bit of a technofobe! I ought to do something with my profile, at least get a picture sorted, trouble is I can't really be a**ed :)

barroldinho repped this.
  6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how are the beaches near Woodbridge? We've thought about moving to VA at some point.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! The only "beaches" close to us are along the Potomac. It's a few hours to the real beaches, either the Delaware/MD coast or down in VA Beach. They're nice, but it's a few hours away. A lot closer than when we lived in Nebraska, though, that's for sure.

We're only about an hour and a half from Shenandoah National Forest. We're more walks-in-the-woods people than beach people so that works great for us. (Although it's been way too long since we took advantage of it).

jond repped this.
  8. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    United States soccer underachieves because the organizations involved think that they can profit without becoming a world power.

Do MLS teams need Champions League budgets to have higher profits? They think not.

9. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The US will become a world power. The US is not underachieving. Profit has absolutely nothing to do with it.

10. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As somebody who has lived in Canada and the USA, I agree with you that Canada isn't as big on sports. It seems like sports are far more popular in the USA.

11. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    I disagree. United States isn't dominating Mexico, both in clubs and national teams.
    The MLS only attracts former stars from European clubs.
    I see very little progress both in performance and marketing.
    Again, this is because the organizations don't care.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lost all credibility there. "Former stars from European clubs" are a small fraction of the foreign players. The number of players fitting that description has rarely been greater than an average of one per team.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

14. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    I meant that MLS teams can't attract current stars from European clubs.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS can’t afford current stars from European clubs. Transfer fee alone is probably more than the salary for most/all non-DP players..

16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neymar's transfer fee this past summer exceeded the salaries of all MLS players, including DPs, combined. Dembele's exceeded the top 10 MLS team payrolls (including DPs) combined.

17. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sebastian Giovinco counts.

18. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corrupt and incompetent leadership. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The USSF's primary concern is not to promote and advance soccer in this country. It is to protect their phony-baloney jobs.

Chesco United repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree but man the whole development "system" is deeply flawed.

20. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    A lot of vindication today. For those that told me that it was perfectly normal for World Cup qualifiers to be broadcast on beIN Sports. For those that told me it was perfectly normal for a country of 330 million+ to scour the depths of lower European leagues for talent. For those that told me that it was perfectly normal doing it 'the American way' without pro and rel. The bottom line is that no one from broadcasters, to youth organizers, even to MLS see soccer in the U.S. as more than a niche sport and have no idea how to run it. And the sad thing is that if the shot by Dempsey in the 78th minute went in, the majority of people would still see everything as normal. There is nothing normal about how U.S. soccer is being run, which is right into the ground.

On the bright side, two things that will come out of this: I have no doubt that all games for the next qualifying cycle will actually be broadcast by some mainstream network (ESPN or Fox) and that the typical American fan (the ones that tune in every four years for the World Cup) will actually find out that there's a qualifying campaign. I can't wait to have people ask me next summer during the World Cup when the U.S. is playing. I'll then tell them they didn't qualify because they lost to Trinidad and Tobago, a country of 1.4 M, in their last qualifiers. Then I'll proceed to: 1) explain the qualifying process; 2) explain to them who plays in CONCACAF and where in the world T&T is and 3) kick them squarely in the nuts.

monere and The411 repped this.
  21. R. Carrillo

R. Carrillo Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ok so maybe US is underachieving.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would seriously doubt that contention if you compare them to Brazil.
    Half a billion people in China have probablky never even seen a soccer game or could care less....

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's utter nonsense. (For starters there are no Ronaldhino types anywhere!)

The speed that a player like Klinsman or Ginola or Giggs or Gerrard were operating at requires a co-ordination skill that is hard to quantify but just as difficult to master as is the slower based trickier play

Denilson was the ultimate of the type of player you mentiuon and he wasn't really up to scratch when it came to being a big player in the big leagues.
    Th eLiverpool team of the late 80's had one/two guys from outside of britain/Ireland and was as skillful as any other team on the planet (Flamenco perhaps aside).

Your analysis is off base ...... One can overdo the development of trickery at the expense of good ball sense (in terms of advancing the thing toward the opposition goal).

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing in this post that would have prevented last night from happening. The problem with US Soccer is at the development level where we have coaches with little to no training coaching kids between 6-12. Whether kids get access to coaches that actually have training isn't necessarily determined by their talent, but rather by whether or not their parents can afford the multiple thousands of dollars it costs to put them into a pay-to-play system. This system pre-filters kids that have raw talent, but come from less affluent families, and those kids are shunted out of the sport directly, or into systems where coaching is lacking. Additionally, with pay-to-play the priority is on winning games rather than developing talent. While they will certainly use the kids that turn pro as recruitment tools, if their teams aren't winning, parents are still not going to be interested in them.

If USSF wants to get out of this hole (and it isn't just the Men's game, the USWNT are hovering over a very similar hole as other nations have rapidly caught up), they are going to need to spend a crapton of money on training coaches, developing a proper training system, and focusing on finding kids that have talent rather than parents with fat wallets.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. miketd1

miketd1 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    1. Parents want to pay.
    2. Parents have the means to pay.

The problem is really the lack of value in terms of quality instruction & competition.

If the kids actually received good value for their money, 1 & 2 would actually be significant strengths compared to most other countries.