Why the US Open Cup?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by fscat, May 3, 2005.

1. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Oldest tournament in the US. Used to be called the challenge cup meaning any club team can play any other club team if they pay their entrance fee. What is it now 100 dollars it is cheap to enter and very expensive if your in it to the end because of traveling, hotels, paying the players, etc. Winner used to get 100 thousand can cost the club 200 thousand after expenses and don't forget a lot of teams pay their players and coaches even years ago.

It is like the FA cup in England.

Winner was called best club team in the US. If you win get to travel more to play the best foreign teams. Alot of teams who won drop out because it gets even more expensive to play teams from the islands and Mexico etc.

2. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    Amatuer teams can enter it. We put in our under 19 state cup winning youth team one year. If you play in it your part of US soccer history.

3. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    Tournament has been played since the early 1900's.

4. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    NASL were afraid to enter what if they lose and they could have lost.

5. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    Sporting club Gjoa here in NYC had a team in it in 1911 or 1912 since the club was originally formed

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    We-no-nah
    div 1 has 12 teams

MN
    Port
    Sea
    Roch
    Atl
    Tor
    Van
    Mont
    Charl
    Rich
    PR
    VA Beach

Only 8 US based teams

7. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yep. It's just four of them aren't in the continental US, or they're in Canada. :)

8. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How is home field determained because each team only othe only once and what happens if their is a tie at the end of the full ''90

9. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    If there's a tie at the end of 90 minutes, they go to extra time. Common soccer rule... :rolleyes:

10. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    :D

My point was taken by fellow left-brained souls.

I'd like to think Andy knew the answer to his question, but was nit-picking on the respondent for all too recognizable reasons...

11. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Small correction, a team does not have to be professional to qualify for it. It really gives the best ADULT teams in the Country the opportunity to showcase thier stuff. Take the PDL and USASA teams......they are amatuer.

12. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    They were, my Menace (note: PDL = amatuer) disposed of one of them last week.

13. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i for once think it's a shame teams from Canada can't participate in the USOC and it's time to change that

14. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hell no its called the US open cup and one day when we get our teams in copa libertadores and copa sudamericana one of the reprsentative frm the US might be the USOC champ imagine a canadian team repping the US. Hell fvken no!!!!!

15. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    dunno where things stand as we speak but i heard there were talks a team from Toronto(the Lynx perhaps) will join the MLS and i'm all for it needless to say

16. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Wow. All due respect, but that is a terrible suggestion.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has nothing to do with the USOC though.

And I'm against Canadian teams in the USOC, let them start their own cup, they may not have a lot of teams, but I'm sure they got teams that can compete.

18. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    that has ALL to do with the USOC coz if teams from NA would be allowed to participate in the Libertadores cup(like Ssm99 has been suggested)the MLS champs(which could be Toronto) will be one of them for sure so really they'd represent both Canada and the USA

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says MLS is putting a team in Toronto yet? I'll believe it when I see it.

20. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    they've mentioned it on FSW Report a couple of months ago

21. Ray Luca

Feb 2, 2005
    Really stupid it is for US teams Canada should start their own open cup for Canadian teams.

22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. A couple months ago. Since then they've already pulled the plug on Toronto expansion.

Incidentally, two or three years ago it was claimed that Rochester was next in line for MLS expansion. There are two expansion teams this year. Neither of them is in Rochester.

23. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Two points:

1. The Yankees were one of the charter franchises in the American League when it was established in 1901. They were the Baltimore Orioles then. In 1903, they moved to New York and were renamed the Highlanders, and in 1921 they were officially renamed the New York Yankees.

2. If we can call it the Liberators Cup, I'm all for American teams participating in it.