Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I did not say that you thought they were a good thing.

I was saying that they are a bad thing.

Nobody said it was "biggest news in the land."

You are superior at jumping to incorrect/incomplete conclusions.

sitruc repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Much easier than deciding whether the Trump movement is motivated by economic insecurity, by racism, desire for deregulation or lower taxes, the real motivator is this dislike of any change that has happened in the past 30 years or so.

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Implication.

There are people here doing the usual "look at the dumb hicks exposing their kids to a communicable disease!" while ignoring the mote in their eye that was "pox parties" which used to be fairly widespread tending toward the affluent city dwellers not that long in the past.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Dislike of change certainly belongs in that mix. All the factors that you mention are related and are part of the story, except for economic insecurity, which is a steaming pile since the more that a candidate talks about economic issues with Trump voters, the worse that the candidate will do. (In a 1 hour ramble-a-thon, Trump might spend 5 minutes on economics, if that.)

But I suppose I should go back to the Racism thread if I wish to continue to batter away on that latter point.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never heard of Chicken Pox Parties. Then again, I never lived in a place where people added "I tell you what" to the beginning or end of every third sentence.

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    People in the Trump movement don't think of economic issues as a whole but their own economic well-being. They are zero-sum thinkers so if blacks and immigrants are doing better it means they are doing worse.

raza_rebel repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I as born in Mork-town (aka Boulder, CO) and grew up in suburban LA and I knew about them. Maybe no until high school, but definitely did. And I got mine the typical way - from school (kindergarden, IIRC). I remember one day, having to sit in the car while my mom got some groceries (cause my dad was out of town at a conference).

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same principle with the anti feminist, if women are doing better, then males are worse off (or so they think).

9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Be best!

I think we largely agree that is not a great idea, but does/did exist and we can move on from this conversation. ;)

sitruc repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    K.

Yes, let's.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well yeah, because chickenpox vaccine wasn't introduced in the U.S. until 1995. What made (at least some) sense then doesn't make a lick of sense now.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    How did people get autism before vaccines?

13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm pretty sure you're a bit confused. Mork-town [aka Ork] is probably what you meant.

Nanu Nanu! :)

soccernutter repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    If you pray hard enough you can get anything you want. At least there's a 50/50 chance. :unsure:

fatbastard and Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3640 Yoshou, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    No.. There are people doing the usual "Look at that dumb hick saying that because my kids turned out fine, it's okay to not vaccinate your child".

Seriously, man.. it isn't just that Bevin had a chicken pox party during a time when the chicken pox virus was available in the US (9 of his 10 kids were born after it was introduced in the US), it's that he then went on the air, was asked about mandatory vaccination on a local radio show and his response was that he had a chicken pox party for his kids instead of having them get vaccinated and because they turned out okay, it's okay for other parents to not get their kids vaccinated.

16. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dumb hicks, as we've been over before, are far from the only people to do this. This was my point.

I'm sorry you seem to have a problem with that.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, in this particular case, the shoe fits rather nicely. Sorry you have a problem with specificity.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You haven't yet shown that. You've talked about what city people did before the vaccine was available, not after it was available.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Remind me again who is an anti-vaxxer regarding vaccines that have been available again?

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you should.. I dunno.. Read up on Matt Bevin's bio? ;) Don't get me wrong here, he's a multi-multi-millionaire, but he's also built up a story around himself as being a down home country boy that done good.

That being said, Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey would be good examples of "liberal elites" that are also anti-vaxxers who, most likely, have chicken pox parties.

21. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I dunno but I had measles and mumps at the same time. I've been told that's why I am like I am. :coffee:

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I really don't give a shit about Bevin specifically. It's beside the point. At least the point I was trying to make.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Kentucky guy. A number of his kids came post 1995. Indeed, if he is to believed that all his kids have had chickenpox parties, four of those came recently, because he adopted 4 kids in 2012.

And yeah, Jenny McCarthy is a dingbat too, and she's from Illnois. Kentucky it must be confessed is especially good at wingnuttery, but it's hardly the only state in that business.

sitruc repped this.
  24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the discussion wasn't a generalized one until you made it one. The discussion was about Bevin's comments and had nothing to do with him being a hick. You are the one that introduced the entire "dumb hick" concept, attacked people in this thread on something that literally none of them said, and then got super defensive when you got called on it.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's one way of looking at it.