Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I probably see one motorcycle per week. A damn lot of SUVs, though.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

rslfanboy, Dyvel, SixKick and 6 others repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, other than 90 degrees weather, 90% Humidity (and high chance or rain) and dropping and picking up two kids from school and other activities, the idea is worth considering...

flowergirl and soccernutter repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Rainsuits, sidecars and weightloss.

I'd get a bigger bike if you are going to mount a sidecar though.

dapip repped this.
  5. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think you'd be coming to pay me a visit first. I'm at 100ft. :)

dapip repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wearing a rain suit in 85 degree weather will definitely achieve some weight loss...

Meanwhile my children weight a combined 120 lbs that probably will get way over 200 before the oldest one can drive.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We'll establish base camp there. Then we'll continue the ascend.

InTheSun repped this.
  8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOOT!

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good think the battery is so environmentally friendly to produce. (Not that would prevent me from buying a Tesla.)

And before you give me shit, I grew up in LA.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3035 soccernutter, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Dad has a place in Boulder. But he's getting to the point where he can't live alone, and I can't move there (primary reason is not affordability). Really want to keep that place, but might have to sacrifice.

I'll call my mom to spare a place. She's on high ground...in Florida.

dapip repped this.
  11. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The Florida Alps, i.e. Clermont?

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Tesla is like paying for the cool brand.

The Chevy Bolt is a better deal for the money, you do not have to give Tesla a interest free loan to get on the 4 year waiting list to get one.

I do not have a parking garage, but whenever I buy a house/condo with garage, I will buy the Bolt or the Nissan Leaf.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/06/11/chevy-bolt-vs-tesla-model-3/

Very good point, getting the minerals that go into building the batteries for electric cars is not very environmental.

That little detail gets left out in the smugness of us electric/hybrid users.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Only high points are garbage dumps.

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    IIRC, batteries now can last up to 500k miles, so probably they are still more environmentally friendly than digging for oil.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/amp/

And, as in every stage of the process, mining has hidden emissions. Jiangxi has it relatively easy because it’s digging up clay, but many mines rely on rock-crushing equipment with astronomical energy bills, as well as coal-fired furnaces for the final baking stages. Those spew a lot of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in the process of refining a material destined for your zero-emissions car. In fact, manufacturing an electric vehicle generates more carbon emissions than building a conventional car, mostly because of its battery, the Union of Concerned Scientists has found.

“We’re shifting pollution, and in the process we’re hoping that it doesn’t have the environmental impact,” says Abraham. He believes that when you add all the environmental impacts, they still come out in favor of electric vehicles. (The Union of Concerned Scientists agrees; it found that even when you add in emissions from battery manufacturing, EVs generate half the emissions of a conventional car over the course of its life.) Still, consumers and investors should understand what it takes to make the materials that enable their green choices. “I don’t think there’s been much discussion of that,” Abraham says. “We can’t look at mining as an over-there thing and at Tesla as an over-here thing. They’re intricately linked.”

/quote

And it also depends on what is the source for the electricity that charges the cars:

http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green

In coal heavy India, China, Australia and South Africa electric cars using grid power are just like typical gasoline vehicles, in the 25-30 MPGUS range. In the UK, Germany, Japan and Italy they are as good as the best petrol hybrids, in the 45-50 MPGUS range. But in low carbon supply places like France, Brazil, Switzerland and Norway they are in a different league, averaging well beyond 100 MPGUS for equivalent emissions.

It is important to remember that the electricity you get might not match your national average for any number of reasons. The night time intensity might vary, you might have solar panels or live in a country like the US, where the grid is actually a bunch of separate grids. For example in Colorado a grid powered electric car is equivalent to about 30 MPGUS, whereas in California it’s up around 70 MPGUS.

Read more at http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/electric-cars-green#IGwMCtugRg7vqSo4.99

/quote

xtomx, InTheSun, song219 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    soccernutter, dapip, superdave and 3 others repped this.
  16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always knew I would have to start killing Americans to save America
    I can't wait
    The wall will be built along the Red River - all them can live in Texas

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, there's your problem! ;)

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The only thing close to an SUV I'll drive is a Subaru Outback or Crosstek but that's because I'd use them for all purposes intended.

I currently drive a Honda Fit at the moment and have been able to fit all sorts of things in there. It's the closest thing I've found to a real life clown car. The gas mileage is great, too. Even managed to fit three people and camping gear in their without it feeling cramped.

flowergirl repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is 100% pure brilliance.
    Both the "Alabama Derserves Moore" and, even "moore," that his opponent jumped the mistake, bought the domain and put it up as a link to his website.
    Excellence on so many levels.

I checked out Doug Moore's "on the issues" statement and he seems like a pretty rational, reasonable, slightly conservative Democrat*.

Meanwhile.....in the Republican dogfight, race to the absolute lowest common denominator, we have:

Mr. Strange, who recently said, “President Trump is the greatest thing that has happened to this country,” Strange said this summer. “I consider it a biblical miracle that he’s there.”
    He is tepidly supported by Trump.
    v.
    Mr. Moore, who recently said, “God puts people in positions in positions he wants. I believe he sent Donald Trump in there to do what Donald Trump can do.”
    Moore was "mooron" who was removed from office for refusing to removing the 10 Commandments for the Courthouse and suspended for refusing to uphold the Constitutional mandates on same sex marriage.
    He is supported by Bannon and Sarah Palin.

Come on, Alabama, prove that you really are not as ass-backwards as the rest of the country thinks.
    For once in you entire history, do the right thing.

*He has to declare, "I want to be perfectly clear: I believe in science" as the start of his statement on the Environment.
    Yes, in 2017, he has to state the 17th Century position.
    For education, essentially, he believes in learning.
    Pro choice and for equal pay.
    He is pro health insurance ("All Americans deserve the right to quality, affordable healthcare")

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My first job was working the parking lot at a sports arena in the wealthiest county in the state. This was in 2004-05, a few years before the recession. For some reason I always ended up in the VIP lots, the places where people pay $20-30 extra to be closer to the building. So you saw a lot of people with H2s, Escalades, and such showing off. Aside from those, lots of Mercedes and BMWs being driven by people in their 20s/30s, Caddies by the older guys in their 40s/50s/60s. I left the job a year before the recession but remember seeing the SUVs less and less.

The amusing part is the SUVs were always driven by short people. I'm a tall guy, people would be used to looking down at me from their cars. Some of them would start arguments over stupid stuff. They would get out of their cars feeling confident and macho. Then they realize they have to look up to talk to me. :D

dapip repped this.
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This reminds me of this.

soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And roller coasters....

23. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My understanding is that the biggest problem is the cobalt in Li-On batteries that go into ev's and all kinds of portable electronics and other products. Now, that said 1) EV battery manufacturers are working on reducing cobalt in the compounds for the batteries to make them better than your common cell phone or laptop battery. Also they are improving the energy density of the batteries all the time 2) so the more energy dense the batteries get, the more efficiency we get out of what we use. 3) The materials in an ev battery are valuable and recycling makes economic sense. We're not throwing them away. 4) We are also in the baby steps stage of the development cycle and who knows what new compounds and materials we will use for future battery generations - there are some very encouraging developments that have made news recently.

I agree we must get better at making "cleaner and cleaner" products for everything we use but the Koch brothers mud slinging machine is hard at work at clouding the issue.

soccernutter repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't know if it is a Florida thing, but besides short drivers, I see a lot of SUV/trucks sporting testicles hanging from the hitch. Talk about micro penis overcompensation.

From your other post I guess that you are around 30 and probably have no kids yet? I mean, I used to have a nice little old Nissan station wagon, and the things that I was able to fit in there still amaze me, like all the materials for a backyard fence, or a sofa that was not accepted by Salvation Army, so I took it in pieces to the dumpster...

But.....

Once you have kids, your space needs multiple by at least 3 orders. Don't roll your eyes, I used to say to myself that I would not let the overparenting thing take over us. Ha! A trip to the park with a baby comprised strollers, tents, extra clothes, baby food, diaper bags; imagine what a weekend trip involved. Thankfully my kids are both now over that part of their lives, so our packing is a lot lighter now, but still, that 3rd row seat and the cargo rails have been very useful during the last few months, when we had the in-laws and then some friends visiting.

25. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I see it in Michigan, too. Not so much in the city areas, more so in the rural areas.

29, will be 30 in a month, currently no kids. Still in my "adventures phase" as one friend put it.

I can imagine. But I'm thankfully seeing someone who doesn't want kids just yet either. I reckon I have a few more years of adventure and such left before I feel like setting roots.

dapip repped this.