Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He was great in this under-appreciated slice of life movie, too...

[​IMG]

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some Whitelandians can smilingly sell you a split level one minute, the next minute they want to run you over in their Escalade.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He looks like an insufferable douche.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well that's true of every ethnic group, only most of 'em drive smaller cars. So when you get hit you don't die quite as spectacularly.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Why do you think Whitelandian's prefer giant SUVs & Texas Limos? 99.9% ain't hauling hay bales any longer. MAGA!

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To be honest, I have no idea why. I drove an SUV once. The ride is crap, they are a chore to drive. The gas mileage is bad. They are expensive. If you need to haul around a bunch of people, minivans do the job better. SUVs are bloated pieces of shit, with their only redeeming value being if you need to drive without a road. Which few suburban drivers ever need to do.

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It depends. Newer models are better drives, have a lot of safety devices and come in different sizes.

Minivans are also expensive ($30k-40k) and probably just as bad MPG-wise. But for the most part, you use all the extras only once in a while, meaning that in most days both are a one person car to drive to and from work.

http://www.carsdirect.com/compare/compare-tool/toyota/highlander/toyota/sienna

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to have a Chevy Beretta, and once I started driving my kids around, I was more aware of how dangerous normal vehicles are, because you can't see over the top of the car in the lane next to you.

I got an Xterra because it was like $19K. Now, getting an expensive SUV is silly. When I see someone with an Escalade who doesn't live in a mansion, I know why they'll never, ever live in a mansion.

russ and dapip repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But isn't that true for mostly any car over certain tresshold (Lets say 25-30k)? I mean, on my relatively short drive here I cross path with Porsches, BMWs. Masserattis, etc, etc... For all I can tell their drivers looks as stressed and uncomfortable as the ones in Hondas, Mazdas, Chevys... Unless your car can magically get around traffic jams, or at least give you a very good massage, what is so great about dropping tens of thousands of dollars more for the same offerings?

Disclaimer: Our family is on the verge of reaching certain financial threshold, so you might see my wife ignoring my financial advise very soon.

flowergirl and bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You probably know this but the make of car you own fulfills social and personal needs unrelated to driving.

dapip repped this.
  11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't put money on that. When we had the gas spike right before the housing bubble went boom, that was the tipping point when people who owned Excursions / Escalades / H2's could no longer afford to put gas in their cars and make the payments, so those vehicles started hitting the used lots and were all over new lots as trade ins. After a few months of sitting on lots, dealers couldn't get rid of them and they would make ridiculous deals to just get them off the lot. So, you had a lot of low/mod income people that could suddenly afford these rigs, then we hit the oil glut and the rest is history.

12. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I lived on Capitol Hill several years ago, one of the neighbors - Mr. Brown - had a beautiful hi-end Mercedes sedan. He was retired from the GPO as I recall, and as far as I could tell, he never, ever drove the car. He kept it spotless and well shined, and sat in it for hours every day, listening to the radio, reading a book, napping, whatever.
    The one thing I was told by another neighbor is that he had a mindset that if he could ever afford a Mercedes, he would be able to say he "made it." Cars are weird.
    I've owned 5 cars in my life. Drove all of them for at least 10 years, and all except the ones I own now had over 200K on the odometer (and one of my current rides is pushing 170K and it's 14 years old). I hate car payments, LOL.

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About to flip 200K on the GMC Sierra - overdue for an oil change, that's about it

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The only safe vee-hickle in South Florida:

gallery-1490813392-gettyimages-173130210.jpg

15. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Smug alert!) You guys should be doing more for the environment. Why not buy a Tesla? What, you can't afford one? Can you afford global warming? You want kids to drown in the rising oceans? What kind of people are you? Buy a Tesla, and support my kid's college fund (my wife works for Tesla), and your kids not drowning because of climate change.

dapip repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Luke Perry? :confused:

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drove my grandfather's 1990s Suburban. That thing was huge, great for hauling stuff and the camping trailer he had. And for when the 10+ of us all showed. But, man, was it HUGE!

Drove an Acura MDX a couple years ago. Massive difference. MDX was a very nice car, basically a sedan at elevation.

dapip repped this.
  18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 1,200' above sea level. I don't give a shit about Seattle, NYC, Florida and the CAL coast drowning.

roadkit and Smurfquake repped this.
  19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    How about a Honda CB500F? That's how I got to work.

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't help my kid's college fund. :(

dapip repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From the current fleet of electric cars, We could probably buy/lease a Nissan Leaf or maybe a Ford Fusion.... Teslas S and X are at least double that price. If we reserved the Model 3, we would get the car in about 2 years... Lets see if I can fin $1000 under my mattress...

You know, I could probably put the money down for a Tesla next year after we get my wife's new car and sell her current one, I really don't mind holding onto my current car for 3 or 5 more years. In the meanwhile I promise that I'll try to steer her towards a hybrid version of whatever car she wants.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Think about all of us Climate Refugees, running up your hill..

23. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if Europeans think that the stream of refugees coming out of Syria is bad, wait a couple of decades and see what happens when big parts of Africa are uninhabitable and millions of darker folks start heading their way. And the central plains of the US are going to become walled compounds with automatic turrets to shoot all the refugees from the coasts.

24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So this movie was prophecy.

[​IMG]

usscouse and dapip repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good thing that Colorado has the high ground...

[​IMG]

song219 repped this.