Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Back in the 80s I knew a (white, not foreign looking) guy who had gone to Iowa State to get a masters degree, and he told me that some restaurants wouldn't serve him because he had a beard. And this was in the college town, which you would expect to be more liberal.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, maybe more like Global Exceptionalism. The world was becoming a better place ... we had learned from the mistakes of our elders, etc.

Nah, we didn't learn. Not a ********ing bit.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this from the Westminster dog show? I didn't realize they got so worked up about their favorite breeds. Then I saw a guy in a viking costume with a Danish flag and "Great Dane" written on it, and then they all got in a row with the guy in a kilt who was a Shetland Sheepdog supporter. Total chaos, I tell ya! The sad thing is, these people are not real dog people, they are just a bunch of louts out looking for trouble! They wouldn't know the difference between a working dog and a... um, dog that lays around the house watching TV all day!

And here I was, thinking the Chess Hooligans were bad!

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, it is an ag college, more or less. Iowa City and Cedar Falls ( Northern Iowa) were much better and a bit better (respectively) as college towns back then.

5. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    842835996253274112 is not a valid tweet id

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Only Jews back then, F#ckhead. :thumbsdown:

ceezmad, luftmensch, usscouse and 3 others repped this.
  7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    That's one fail-- but that book is full of other stories whose sole apparent purpose is to make it clear that in fact he is talking about the poor in general...

luftmensch repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And if you want to convert Jews & Muslims, yer message must be universal. Duh, Erick Von Erickson.

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, to be fair, there weren't any muslims to speak of back then; so I don't think converting them was part of the editorial aspiration at the beginning.

Now Pharisees...

soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    No I mean now! Isn't that part of the deal for End Times to come?

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Luke 10

25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
    27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
    28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
    29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
    30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
    31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
    32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
    33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
    34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
    35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
    36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
    37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

raza_rebel, russ and luftmensch repped this.
  12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yeah, that would be the big one.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replace "Samaritan" with "Iranian" to feel the full effect of the story in a modern sense.;)

Dr. Wankler, taosjohn and dapip repped this.
  14. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    A North Carolina Republican lawmaker is under fire after comparing Abraham Lincoln to Adolf Hitler in a Facebook comment.
    http://time.com/4737751/larry-pittman-north-carolina-abraham-lincoln-adolf-hitler/
    o_O

Larry Pitmann, a representative in the North Carolina General Assembly, is apparently not familiar with Reagan's 11th Commandment.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ni99a, what?

Should be drowned...

Interestingly, I watched some documentary the other day about the Sanhedrin and it was pretty favorable on the actual Pharisees, talking about their sticking up for the poor and such and pretty low on the Sadducees as a part of the Jewish ruling class that were in essential collaboration with the Romans.

Then I had a couple of beers

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    russ and Sudžuka repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that should insure that Gianforte wins the run off.

usscouse, yossarian and NORML repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    usscouse, song219, Sudžuka and 2 others repped this.
  19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, that's boddhislam; a muslim who accidentally reaches Nirvana by mistake.

However, if you meet a boddhislam on the road...

russ, soccernutter, song219 and 7 others repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    His campaign already released an insane statement saying Jacobs, a "lib'rul journalist" (read between the lines), was pushy (read between the lines), shoved a recorder in Gianforte's face and the bodyslam was a reaction to that vicious provocation.

21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They know that other people saw it and that the audio is already released ... right?

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Sure. But they're armed with alternative facts.

flowergirl repped this.
  23. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Interestingly, a Fox news crew witnessed the assault and collaborated Ben Jacob's account of what happened. The sheriff who is investigating the assault (and has yet to arrest Gianforte) is a donor.

dapip and Gamecock14 repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Home, home on the range
    Where Republicans bodyslam lib'rul journalists all day
    Where seldom is heard
    A truthful word
    And Obama's comin fer our guns so let's pray

usscouse, Sudžuka, dapip and 3 others repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're just to get through the next 24 hours. I thought the statement was pretty much the best they could do under the circumstances.

Gamecock14 repped this.